What is with the trend of 50-60gm shafts in off the rack fairway woods?

El Rayo X

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Nearly impossible to find 70gm shafts in a 3/4/5 wood from the big OEM's these days.
What's the deal?
For me, I can't seem to keep the lighter shafted FW's on plane.
Side note: If I wanted to add 10gm to shaft weight using lead tape, where would it be placed?

I would tend to think that most of the people buying an off the shelf driver would benefit from the low weight shaft. Less weight, more speed, longer drive idea in that one.

I’m pretty sure Titleist and Taylormade (though only in the $400 model) have shafts in the 70 gram range off the shelf. At the very least they have 65 grams.

Callaway Epic Max's came stock with HZRDUS Smoke 60 and 70 gm options, so I assume the new Rogue has something similar.

I would tend to think that most of the people buying an off the shelf driver would benefit from the low weight shaft. Less weight, more speed, longer drive idea in that one.
I'm mainly speaking about fairway woods.
Most OEM offer all kinds of weights in their Drivers.

I’m pretty sure Titleist and Taylormade (though only in the $400 model) have shafts in the 70 gram range off the shelf. At the very least they have 65 grams.
There's the rub.....only the $400 model.
I got a SIM2Max 3hl, the stock shaft was 50g class (56 actual), I was able so get it returned for one with the Ventus Blue 60gm stiff( 63 before cut, so still ), but it still feels too light.
I like the head, but it was at least a $100 dollar uncharge for a 70gm class shaft.
Pretty sure it's the shaft causing spin issues, not the head.
May have to try the new Cally Rogue LS 3hl, at least I can get a 75gm shaft no up charge!

Last edited:
Callaway has two different 75g shafts that are no-cost options in the Rogue ST. PXG offers a few too in their 0841. The catch is you better want stiff or X-stiff. Are you wanting to increase swingweight? I’m just curious because you can add all the weight you want 14 inches from the butt which would technically make the shaft heavier but that won’t change the swingweight of the club. If you’re wanting to increase swingweight that’s a different story.

Callaway has two different 75g shafts that are no-cost options in the Rogue ST. PXG offers a few too in their 0841. The catch is you better want stiff or X-stiff. Are you wanting to increase swingweight? I’m just curious because you can add all the weight you want 14 inches from the butt which would technically make the shaft heavier but that won’t change the swingweight of the club. If you’re wanting to increase swingweight that’s a different story.
I think I want to change the static weight, so you have answered that question. Thanks!
I was just looking a Cally's site and may trade the TM for a new Rogue LS 3hl.
Crappy weather (Windy and relative cold) here the next few days, so I might run out and demo a few at a store.
I know Titleist offers the a few in the 70gm class w/o up charge as well.
Thanks again for the tip on weigh placement......

If you mean at your local places, what's there is based on what that store thinks they'll sell, and more people want lighter these days, so they mostly stock those. Most oems offer them, you may just not see them very often.

gottago.jpeg

Nearly impossible to find 70gm shafts in a 3/4/5 wood from the big OEM's these days.
What's the deal?
For me, I can't seem to keep the lighter shafted FW's on plane.
Side note: If I wanted to add 10gm to shaft weight using lead tape, where would it be placed?
I don't know what big OEM is defined or for that matter relevant when shafts is the key subject. Check out the offerings at the PXG website. Lots of 70gm shaft options. FWIW, adding 10g would be a big NO. Nothing influences MOI more than shaft weight. Adding weight to the clubhead has never worked for me. Good luck.

There's the rub.....only the $400 model.
I got a SIM2Max 3hl, the stock shaft was 50g class (56 actual), I was able so get it returned for one with the Ventus Blue 60gm stiff( 63 before cut, so still ), but it still feels too light.
I like the head, but it was at least a $100 dollar uncharge for a 70gm class shaft.
Pretty sure it's the shaft causing spin issues, not the head.
May have to try the new Cally Rogue LS 3hl, at least I can get a 75gm shaft no up charge!
Off the top of my head I don’t know if the regular stealth 3W is adjustable but you might be able to go to a golf galaxy or another store and have them swap out shafts from one to the other. They’ve done that for me a couple of times

If you mean at your local places, what's there is based on what that store thinks they'll sell, and more people want lighter these days, so they mostly stock those. Most oems offer them, you may just not see them very often.
That seems to be the case….

Most of the fairway woods that I try that have 50-60 gram weight shafts give me nothing but high hooks. I too prefer a heavier and lower torque shaft in fairway woods, but i still want it to launch well. Creates a dilemma some time.

Back