What is your 59 watch?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What is your 59 watch? Breaking 100, 90, 80, etc? A new a personal best? Are you generally aware when you’re knocking on the door during the round and if so, how does that affect your play?

Until yesterday....my "59" watch was breaking 90. Having finally achieved that plateau...my new goal is to repeat it. I've had the knowledge of playing/scoring well really mess me up in the past. Yesterday, even knowing i'm scoring well...(7 pars will do that for a high capper) I pushed every swing away and stayed on task shall we say for each shot. IF i started thinking I have to make par here or bogey there to reach some goal....I would never had done it.

I’m stuck on breaking 80 right now. I tend to keep score on a card and on Arccos, but I’m generally not overly aware of exactly where I stand. Even so, I can tighten up on those final few holes when I know I’m playing well.

What is your 59 watch? Breaking 100, 90, 80, etc? A new a personal best? Are you generally aware when you’re knocking on the door during the round and if so, how does that affect your play?

For me it was 79. Until I first broke 80, I would be thinking about this during my rounds. Countless times, I would calculate during the round or on the 10th tee what I needed to shoot for the rest of the round or on the back to break 80. It definitely affected my play until I accomplished it. This hasn’t been an issue for some time as I haven’t broken 80 since 2007. But, I was close last year, shooting several 81s.

I think my 59 watch is par. I'm usually acutely aware if I have a shot at getting close by the 12th hole or so - then I blow it.

I can break 80 every now and then, and under par has happened a couple of times (though it's been a long time,) but that's a Haley's comet type of occurrence. So yeah, I start playing very carefully if all of the sudden I've managed to put together a round that might find me in the low 70s.

I always put too much pressure on myself so, 99% of the time, that look at par quickly turns back into "I hope I at least break 80"

i have broken 80 a few times but probably not in the last 10'ish years...so breaking 80 again would/will/is my goal every time i play. i have come close a few times the last couple of years but always seem to have a blowup hole or 2. i don't think i get the 59 yips but maybe it does

Last edited:
I’ll almost certainly never have another round better than my best. Although I didn’t think it would happen that day either.

The way I’m playing right now anything in the 30’s for 9 or 70’s for 18 would be delightful. It’ll click, it just hasn’t in limited playing time. Embarrassingly bad so far this year. Just can’t find the time to get out when the weather and body both cooperate.

Edit: I also (unless a complete disaster) know where I’m at in relation to par. Even though I’m likely to hit driver anyways I’ll aim more aggressively and possibly swing harder if I need to birdie 18 for something (par, 79, lately 94 🤣 etc).

Last edited:
My 59 watch is usually when i hit the 13th hole.

my equivalent of the 59 watch is probably a 75 or better watch. if things are clicking and i'm hitting lots of greens out of the gate, i know i have a chance. then, you know, golf happens.

Shooting level par for me. Never done it, been a couple over a few times, late in the round if there’s a chance, I sense it... one day!

Breaking 80 every time out is mine. The goal is to shoot in the 60's at least once this year.

Shooting level par or -1. Getting there!

my equivalent of the 59 watch is probably a 75 or better watch. if things are clicking and i'm hitting lots of greens out of the gate, i know i have a chance. then, you know, golf happens.

Same!

Breaking 80, currently, which I haven't done since a car accident last June.
I regularly posted scores between 78-84 until then. best round in the 2 years before wreck was 73 on a par 70.
I've only had 3 or 4 rounds in the low 80's since. Mostly hovering around 90, with 32-33 putts.
Got on Trackman and I've lost 30yrds form the tee and 15 per iron due to right shoulder injury. Not compressing the ball.
Before that, par, which I'd sniffed a few times.
I'm F'n pissed.

Breaking 90. My PB is 89 and I've done that three times.

For me it's 79 watch. Having never broke 80, that is the number that gets my juices going if it's attainable down the stretch.

Honestly? (And I'm not fishing for any sympathy, just laying it out.)
Three good shots in a row. For every hole.

80 is still my breaking score. As for knowing I might shoot 79 or less during the round, I will most likely think about it on the 17th, or 18th hole.

My odds of breaking 80 are pretty slim these days, but much better than getting a hio.

My game isn't good enough to chase a target score, if I can get my brain focused I'm aiming to drop a couple of issues per round - no 3 putts & no triple or worse are my two main goals if I can

Breaking 90. Have gotten to 90 3 times now but haven't been able to break through to the 80s yet. It is coming though. Been consistently 92-95 this year with a few 96-99 and two outlier rounds in my last 25 or so.

Breaking 80 is what i want to accomplish this year. Had a good stretch of low 80's mid last year and then went back up. So far this year in the only 18 I played i had an 89. Got a couple of 9's in at low 40's. got some 2 18's planned in the next week. Its tough up here in NE on another rainy day in the 40's

Back