What is your best advice for playing in a Scramble?

Papatortuga

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing in a scramble this Saturday for the Palms Golf Invitational. Wondering if anyone had some good advice? What type of team would you build? I’m thinking a long ball hitter, 2 people great with irons, and then the closer with awesome putts. Thanks!

Work on your patience, because they take FOREVER :D

#1 Don't take it seriously
#2 Play with people you like (As JB said, you'll be there a while)
#3 Don't take it seriously

Have fun. I think that's the only way to go into a scramble. JB's advice is also spot on here.

The best scramble teams I've seen have 1 guy who's crazy long, and everyone else has solid short games and hot putters. If you're having to lean on someone's irons, you're probably already out of the hunt. Be aggressive and get the ball in the hole.

And yes, have fun and be patient.

Have your best hitter hit last.

Have your worst putter putt first to give his team the read/line.

I always putt first since my putting is suspect at best :D

It's all about fun.
Your best putter should go last so the others can give him/her a good look at speed/break.
If they sell Mulligans, buy them.
Try to get a high handicap player or two in the group so your net score can be better.
Long and straight off the tee is a good strategy - find a player that can do that.
Don't drink too much and make an idiot of yourself.

Definitely would benefit from a mix of long and straight hitters and encourage everyone to just play their game. But no matter how good your team is, like somebody else said, prepare to be way behind a few ridiculously unattainable scores.

My buddies and I used to play a lot of 4 man's in Arizona. He is a long hitter and I am more of an accurate hitter. I would tee off first and as long as I hit the fairway or was in play he would try to bomb one. If not he would hit hybrid so we would have a clean lie. As for other partners we always brought people who didn't really play golf since they had a ton of fun. We had our worst putters go first to try to give us a line then we would clean up.

Also what JB said. They take FOREVER!

Only advice I have is if you are going to cheat, cheat often and cheat big. It only really helps the A flight winners. Otherwise you might cheat yourself into last place in A flight instead of winning B flight! You never know where the breaks between flights are going to be!

Just have fun and be ready for a really long day.
Make sure you have someone who can read the greens really well.

Grip it and rip it.

Also, always have at least one beer in the holster.

Work on your patience, because they take FOREVER :D

Yeah, I was going to say take plenty of beer enough to last six hours.

Scrambles are like someone looked at golf and thought, "You know what would make golf even more fun? Stopping a couple times per hole to have a committee meeting, just like at work".

I think strong iron and putting play is huge. You need at least one guy to be able to hit it long to give you an opportunity to hit par 5's in 2. Birdies on the par 5's essentially keeps you with the field as do pars on par 3's. Strong iron play will be a determining factor because the par 4's is where you make or break the round.

So time will depend on if it's people that haven't or don't normally played golf... Or if it's something more in the serious side.We play in more competitive scrambles that are far less than 6 hours. Usually 4.5 or less thankfully. But be prepared knowing what type of round you are in for. Thankfully scrambles are usually on the fun side.

Our normal team is built of all sub 5 handicap players. 2 can hit the ball 300+ pretty consistently... And usually in the fairway. 1 is an incredible iron player which is always good to have. Then there's myself who is probably the best putter of the group. But I've seen all types of mixes do well.

Some of the groups find a good female player that can hit it 250, which can often be a BIG advantage on tees if she's playing from the front.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Most scrambles these days require at least 4 drives from each player, so having 1 real big stick doesn't always pay off.
If you have 3 players that can get the ball down the fairway a ways, that let's 1 person put it in the fairway and then the others can go for it.
Having a good putter is key in my opinion.

Don't have any ideas about possibly winning. Even if you cheat, somebody will cheat more than you. And never lay up. With four chances, somebody will be able to clear whatever pond or stream is in front of you.

Most scrambles these days require at least 4 drives from each player, so having 1 real big stick doesn't always pay off.
If you have 3 players that can get the ball down the fairway a ways, that let's 1 person put it in the fairway and then the others can go for it.
Having a good putter is key in my opinion.

Don't have any ideas about possibly winning. Even if you cheat, somebody will cheat more than you. And never lay up. With four chances, somebody will be able to clear whatever pond or stream is in front of you.

^^Covered it pretty well. Also bring mother luck, it'll take you a long way.

Playing in a scramble this Saturday for the Palms Golf Invitational. Wondering if anyone had some good advice? What type of team would you build? I’m thinking a long ball hitter, 2 people great with irons, and then the closer with awesome putts. Thanks!

I don't care about winning scrambles. They are usually pencil whipped anyways.

For me, I take three other guys who can laugh, have a great time, don't mind some tunes (for the long day), and are cool with putting a few back along the way. There's nothing about a scramble that needs to be competitive for me.

I don't care about winning scrambles. They are usually pencil whipped anyways.

For me, I take three other guys who can laugh, have a great time, don't mind some tunes (for the long day), and are cool with putting a few back along the way. There's nothing about a scramble that needs to be competitive for me.

That’s how we do every round of golf so I figured that was a given haha!

Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it! My friends and I aren’t very good anyways, so we were never expecting to win. We just expect to have a good time!

If you go in planning to just have fun with buddies/coworkers, you will have a great time!!!

Ignore the scores, someone will have a better eraser or whiteout...someone will post in the 40's or if smaller tournament low 50's...Just remember, it is fantasy "golf" it is not real, and it is meant to get people together to have fun....

Prepare for it to be a fun event. It will be but don't tell your wife you'll be home by noon. This ain't no normal round of golf. Bargain for more drink tickets. Bargain for more when you hit the turn.

And have fun. It beats being at work.

Drink a little, laugh a lot.

Back