What is your biggest pet peeve in a playing partner?

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
Title says it all. What are some things that grind your gears when playing with others?

My personal worst is someone with an extremely negative attitude... if it only comes out occasionally I can deal with it, but if it lasts for the entire round then it can really wear on me.

What are yours?

Slow Player. Not necessarily meticulous but the guy that insists on telling some random story on the green when the group behind us is waiting for us to clear the green. Or the guy that reads the putt from front, back and side and then admits he's a terrible putter and misses the putt by 6'.

I cant stand a negative attitude nor can I stand someone trying to correct other players swing flaws during the round unsolicited.

Slow play by far. Makes the round so much less enjoyable. Feel like you have to rush to speed up the group because of him. I hate the feeling of knowing people are waiting behind you etc.

I cant stand a negative attitude nor can I stand someone trying to correct other players swing flaws during the round unsolicited.

I change my selection to that. Every bad round that I can remember always involved some yahoo (caddie or another player) saying, "If you just do XYZ, you will hit it much better." It just makes the round worse even if the advice is correct.

I am trying to decide the lesser of several evils.... I am going to go with the extremely negative player. I have seen one guy bring an entire foursome down and make a round just miserable. Slow play is frustrating, the constant swing tips is crazy, but I can still have a good time with any of those guys in my group, the guy that is just so negative and kills the fun for everyone is the worst to me.

Bingo. I can deal with slow play by picking up my pace or encouraging them to do so, but this will just absolutely break the round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The biggest thing that gets me is a negative attitude. Whether it be about their play, the slow play in front of us, the course conditions or what ever. I'm out here to relax and get away from all the stresses of every day life, don't ruin it for me.

Constant bitching and throwing clubs.

slow play if we're getting behind the other groups is by far my biggest pet peeve, followed closely by Mr cranky pants.

If you're too slow or you're being a baby on the golf course, you're probably not going to be a regular playing partner of mine.

Title says it all. What are some things that grind your gears when playing with others?

My personal worst is someone with an extremely negative attitude... if it only comes out occasionally I can deal with it, but if it lasts for the entire round then it can really wear on me.

What are yours?

Slow Player. Not necessarily meticulous but the guy that insists on telling some random story on the green when the group behind us is waiting for us to clear the green. Or the guy that reads the putt from front, back and side and then admits he's a terrible putter and misses the putt by 6'.

Both of these. I used to be the negative guy and realized that not only am I not having fun but I'm ruining it for everyone else, too. It sucks to come to the realization that you're the guy that nobody would want to play with. After that, golf became a lot more fun for me, regardless of score. **** happens, on to the next shot/hole/round.

Slow play just ruins a round for me. I hate being behind a slow group but I hate it more when a guy in my group is the slow guy. At that point I feel that I have a responsibility to keep that player(s) moving along and I hate to be put in that situation.

No sense of humor. I don't really care about a negative attitude, but if you can't laugh at yourself then you should play alone, because your friends will certain laugh at you.

Letting me know what I did wrong in a golf swing. If my swing sucks that day then it sucks, I can't correct it in the middle of a round, even if it's Hole #2, I have to go with I have that day no matter how ugly it may be and just advance the golf ball.

I know my flaws, and I can appreciate some feedback, but after multiple times being told the same thing isn't going to help me. On the driving range is when I will listen to any and all help and try to correct it.

Slow play by far. Not only does it frustrate me having to wait but I absolutely hate feeling rushed when a group is waiting behind us.

i have a few, but the worst to me is poor etiquette. walking in people's lines, making noise/movement during somebody else's swing, treating the green surface poorly, not raking bunkers, etc. just all the things you come to take for granted after playing this game a long time. and when it not only starts to affect our group but others on the course, i get really uncomfortable.

honorable mentions to unsolicited swing advice guy, perpetual reload guy, bad attitude guy (though that's some pot-and-kettle stuff with me), and never-ready guy.

Letting me know what I did wrong in a golf swing. If my swing sucks that day then it sucks, I can't correct it in the middle of a round, even if it's Hole #2, I have to go with I have that day no matter how ugly it may be and just advance the golf ball.

I know my flaws, and I can appreciate some feedback, but after multiple times being told the same thing isn't going to help me. On the driving range is when I will listen to any and all help and try to correct it.

Sorry about that, was just trying to have some fun with Wardy.... on the plus side... your timing was great yesterday on the swing...much better than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever puts it in the hole in the fewest strokes friend. Like you said, you can do the heavy work on the range.

Don't pile onto me with a dig or barb about a bad shot if I'm already visibly frustrated. Believe me, I'm already upset at myself and need a minute to get over it and back to being happy go lucky
No sense of humor
Unsolicited swing advice. I usually know what I'm doing wrong and can usually fix it with vodka.
Slow play...
Giving me a non-stop braindump of local knowledge on a course I've played 50 times...particularly as I'm setting up to hit my shot i.e. "Well, you know, I usually just lay it up here, just to the right of that 7th pine tree with the one red leaf. No one can hit it all the way to the green here"

Tie for 1st

Slow play and someone that is disengaged and just plays on their phone the whole time (including sitting in the cart and playing on phone while everyone else is standing out on the tee box etc).

slow play if we're getting behind the other groups is by far my biggest pet peeve, followed closely by Mr cranky pants.

If you're too slow or you're being a baby on the golf course, you're probably not going to be a regular playing partner of mine.

CrankyPants441

Tie for 1st

Slow play and someone that is disengaged and just plays on their phone the whole time (including sitting in the cart and playing on phone while everyone else is standing out on the tee box etc).

Yes!!!!!!

Sorry about that, was just trying to have some fun with Wardy.... on the plus side... your timing was great yesterday on the swing...much better than mine
You were with us Saturday at the range and when I had about 20 minutes of the shanks I was alarmed. The video you took yesterday of my 6iron swing was a big help don't get me wrong, in my mind I don't FEEL the club coming behind me or flat, but the video doesn't lie with the wrist roll I have and having the shaft come behind me.

And so we don't de-rail this thread I think you just gave me an idea to start a thread in the Swing Tips about this video you took.

I know it's been said before and I have no doubt it will continue to be said, but slow play is killing golf, especially if it's a player in your group. It just brings so much negative energy into the group and round and I know for me, personally, it's tough to have a good time in that environment. I love watching Rahm and Fowler play yesterday, even the announcers mentioned their quick pace.

Definitely the negative attitude/really angry guy. My usual playing partner and I were teamed up with a single last year and he scared me. After every bad shot he was cussing up a storm and hitting the ground, I am surprised he didn't break a club. We were worried he would freak out and take it out on us so we didn't say anything.

Bad attitude, yelling, and someone that takes forever to line up their putts when they have no business doing so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back