What is your biggest pet peeve while on the golf course?

Can I say all of the above? Every one of those things ticks me off. And we've been guilty of a few of them, especially slow play, at times. Occasionally you get into difficulties on a hole and have to work through them. We played yesterday as a 4 some with a single behind us. On a short par 4, that might have been driveable for us back in the day, we hit our tee shots and stood aside to let the single go through. Parts of this course play through a housing development with several street crossins on the route. He drove across the street behing that tee and stopped. We waved him up. He drove up to us and we told him we wanted to let him play through.

He told us, "Oh, I'm happy to just go along behind you guys. I'm 93 years old, and just happy to be out on a warm October day playing golf!" That kind of made up for anything negative we might have encountered that round.

loud music on the course - the guy wants to be sure everyone knows he is playing.:eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

most likely he is the same guy who spits sunflower shells on the green.

Biggest is Not Fixing Ball Marks.

Etiquette
Actually lack of:
Walking in my line
Standing behind me and moving during swing
Not being ready to play when your turn
Not taking your clubs to your ball when cart path only
Not fixing ball marks
Not fixing divots
Not raking traps

all the above
Etiquette!

Mostly the “younger” generations- sense of entitlement 🤬
At least where I play. Never took the time to properly learn the game

Most have covered everything so far, however, HACKS drive me nuts. My definition of a hack are guys that have no idea how the game is supposed to be played in all aspects. I don't mean high HC, poor players. I've played with older gentlemen and ladies who shoot above 100 that are a pleasure to share a round with and don't hold anyone up. The difference IMO is being aware of and knowing how to play "ready" golf. Be READY to take your next shot when its your turn! Whether it be on the tee, your approach or on the green. Get off your phone, stop washing your ball on every tee, you don't need your range finder for every shot.... play the effin game!

1) Two threesomes tee off, followed by a foursome. On about hole 3, they get together as a gangsome. Obviously getting, they all plumb bob, wlak off putts for distance, mark their balls before hoping out, etc. Then have a discussion before walking to carts.
Which leads us to...
2) No effin Marshalls on course.

People who want to fight me on the course 🙄

1634656186409.gif

Walkers. I’ve never encountered one that didn’t slow me down.

Poor tee boxes, unlevel, tall grass, facing trouble instead of the fairway, too small. I want perfection on the tee and it's not much to ask for.

Ready golf or lack there of. I felt bad about hitting even though I was not the next to play under rules of golf. It was bad though ... I was putting out by the time they were out of their cart approaching the green... Come on man.

I have endured enough slow play in my career that it doesn't affect me as much as these two do:

People who don't fix ball marks and divots
People who think the course, tee or green is an ash tray
I agree. slow play is annoying but doesn't rock my world unless its just blatantly dragging their feet. especially with bringing my kids out their first several rounds this summer. I always am conscious of those behind me and have waved more than I care to admit in the process, so i just take a breathe as much as i can.

but blatant etiquette breaches go all over me. cleat marks on the green, unrepaired divots, cigars left on the tee box or worse; the green, talking in my backswing, not paying attn to your shadow being in someones line..... obviously should all call for immediate tar/feather.

This one ^^^^^^^ plus ....

• People who wear tank tops, jeans or tennis shoes *** no explanation needed
  • What's wrong with a white belt?? If it fits your attire when a black or brown doesn't, I don't see the problem. What are you the fashion police?

You really just put those two back to back, huh?

People that talk too much and especially about politics or work.

people

Tennis shoes? Golf is not a sport. It's not something athletes do. Why would golfers wear athletic shoes? Wing tips or bust... I guess.

Water hazards. If God didn’t put it there, I don’t want it.

This one ^^^^^^^ plus ....

• Repair your ball mark & at least one more. How hard is it to bend down? Do you need instructions on how to repair it then ask. I have a seriously bad back & yet I still bend down.
  • People who wear tank tops, jeans or tennis shoes *** no explanation needed
  • What's wrong with a white belt?? If it fits your attire when a black or brown doesn't, I don't see the problem. What are you the fashion police?
  • Not keeping up with the group ahead of you **** this goes along the lines of slow play reasons
  • That guy that takes 15 practice swings only to duff it 15 yards
  • The group of guys that all play from different tee boxes ***** You've got the "Pro" that insists on playing from the back tees, then the "regular" guys & finally the "Senior" tee guy. I'm all for playing from the tee that makes you comfortable, but for the love of Pete, pick one & play from there. Let your ego go for once & all play from the same tee. Who knows, you might challenge yourself a bit from a different total distance. I have done this many times. I always ask "what tee do you guys play from? It doesn't matter to me?"
Yes in a pet peeve thread we all of course get to be make believe fashion police or whatever police we wish;)
Just to note.....fwiw a black belt goes with anything.
But I plead again....please throw away all white belts. Your not on tour and simply put they should just be illegal. :eek: They say too much and are offensive. Its like toothpicks in the eyes. Just forget white anything. next round Im showing up like this (platform shoes and everything)

1634697037302.png

1634696748605.png

Last edited:
Sunflower seeds. I don’t see it that often, but when I do…:angry:

Those that grind their cigarettes out on the greens. Yes I’ve seen it more than once. Oh, and sunflower seed shells on the greens. 😡

Guys who talk or move around while you are playing a shot or making a putt.

Golfers jumping on when there really isn't space for them to jump on.

1) slow play
2) slow people
3) courses that act like 5h isn't slow

But rather than get annoyed, we just play very early and avoid all the slow golf riffraff.
I'll play 1 or 2 mid afternoon rounds a year to remind myself why I never do it.

Most pet peeves are driven by other golfers I'm noticing. All my pet peeves come from POOR course management and staff. I can not stand entitled golf course staff that don't actually try to treat you like a customer, and instead seem to think you need to treat them like they're the customer.

Couple examples:
1. 5 hours of sunlight left, checking in, "You plan to golf 9 right?"
2. Tee markers that aren't on the proper tee box, ESPECIALLY on par 3's.
3. Pins that don't match the pin placement guide, or color system they have in place.
4. Cart fees that are the same for 9 holes vs. 18 holes, makes absolutely no sense to me.
5. Charging rates that don't align with the posted rate that is on the website.

He told us, "Oh, I'm happy to just go along behind you guys. I'm 93 years old, and just happy to be out on a warm October day playing golf!" That kind of made up for anything negative we might have encountered that round.
That's cool. I'd have probably asked him to join in with us if he was a nice guy.

If you want to have a conversation or just get drunk the clubhouse has a bar. If you are on the course then the most important thing is to play golf. You can talk, you can drink, you can smoke, you can take a call even but you have to make sure you are actually ready to play golf when it is your turn. If not then move along and get the hell out the way.

Back