What is Your Green in Regulation Percentage?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In my recent struggles, I noticed not only is my GIR percentage down from just a couple of years ago, but that I am missing in bad spots. Do you know your GIR percentage and if so what is it? If not, how many do you think you hit?

I think I am right around 50%. When my short game is on, I get up and down a lot. But, some rounds, I feel like I miss in the absolute worst spots. Short sided, over a bunker, you name it.

According to The Grint, I'm right at 55%. That's down from last year when it was over 65%.

Season long iron issues (remedied as of very recently) are the cause evidenced by only 39% of par-3 greens hit in regulation.

72a1ee119fdfcfa9356887770dc28872.jpg

Last edited:
My last few rounds have been in the 67% range. Usually 11 - 13 GIR are my average. Worse days are around 8 or 9. Best days are around 15 - 17 GIR.

50% down 8% from last year. Not enough on course time or practice.

Lately it's been right around the 50% mark. But my proximity to the hole isn't giving me very many makeable opportunities.

50% down 8% from last year. Not enough on course time or practice.

maybe you need to play more..... I’m coming to the Springs, will change that if the weather is decent :)

Reactions: J4U
You guys are sticks-- mine is right at 38% for the last two years, it's where I know I can look to improve myself. I'd probably severely hurt someone for 50%+ GIR.

Currently a little over 50% for the year, but the last couple of weeks have been closer to 65% (just in time for winter!!). I'm hitting a lot of greens, but I would still say proximity to the hole can be improved. That's what I'm going to be working on next.

Here is what Arccos shows. I do get up and down a lot but I find it hard to believe I miss that many greens.
5E852F77-4B15-421B-AC40-A1B1FE58ED44.jpeg5E852F77-4B15-421B-AC40-A1B1FE58ED44.jpeg

According to Arccos, I have hit just over 60% of my greens in regulation this year. However, I have struggled with heel-side contact all year and sometimes it has been extremely frustrating. Almost every round, I have a couple of shanks and I just can’t seem to figure it out, despite some lessons and a vast amount of effort.6E3E881F-A4A5-4C0F-B669-A15447A3F3AD.jpeg My iron play was much better last year, even though the 60% is a good number.

The last time I kept track of it in 2017 for about 30 rounds it was 75.5%. It's actually a bit higher than that the last six weeks with three memorable sub-par rounds recently where I hit 17 GIR. My par round on Saturday was 16 GIR and way too many putts, 34 to be exact with three 3-putts. Putts this summer make up about 42% of my strokes.

According to the Grint, I am at 40.8% for the year. My miss is usually to the right.

So im thinking about it and 33.4% makes perfect sense for me. I rarely 3 putt so if I, GIR I’m likely making birdie or par. I get up and down probably 3-4 more times so that’s 10 holes per round that I’m going to birdie or par. that leaves me 8-9 holes I bogey or double bogey, which is exactly why I hover between and 8 and 10 handicap.

Right around 25%. Not bad for a 22hc I guess

GIR is about 25%. Vast majority being short, which I expect and play to.

I don't know the specifics, but I know it's better than it was before. I'm probably around 40% a round. Now, out of those 9 it can range from anywhere around 0-6 actual birdie chances.

About 33% and short about 45% of the time. So much room for improvement in this area.

37.4% according to Arccos. And I average 25 feet when I do hit GIR. Irons are my main focus right now.

I've never tracked them, but I think I'm down this year too. My iron play is usually a strength, but I've been struggling there a little bit lately. If I had to guess, I bet was better than 60% last year. Maybe closer to 70%. This year, I bet I'm between 50% and 60% somewhere, maybe closer to 50%.

I've actually paid attention the last couple rounds. My misses have been scattered somewhat evenly. I seem to miss long as often as short and left and right about equally. Not sure if that is a bad thing because I'm missing all over the place, or if it's telling me that I need to start aiming more at the middle of the green. The problem lately doesn't seem to be pin seeking though; it seems to be hitting awful shots.

I dont hit many greens per round. I just looked at my last 20 rounds and I am right around 27%. Irons are the weakest part of my game so no surprise it's that low. My short game and putting have been saving my rounds.

58.8% on the year. 61.9% last 20. 65% in my 10 scores used for handicap.

I honestly thought there'd be more of a spread in those. Especially from the beginning of the year. That general range seems to work for me though. I don't think I'll ever be a guy that consistently hits 14-16 greens like tahoebum. I'm too aggressive on approach. And I'm fine with that. I don't end up in 'trouble' very often (I seem to subconsciously avoid real trouble), but I short-side myself often because I rarely see a pin I won't attack. I scramble at almost identical percentages to the GIR numbers, and if you counted the fringe and <2' off the green as GIR, my GIR would definitely be 75% or more. If I started finding myself in real trouble more often or started to struggle scrambling, I'd definitely have to rethink my approach strategy.

I'm curious how much % change yours has had JB, and how much that has affected your scoring. ??

Edit: I always forget my home course bias on this one. The greens there average ~3,300 sq ft. So at home I'm only 56.3% on the year. 62% everywhere else.

I'm right at 30%..... this is one thing I need to work on. usually my distance has been decent but I miss right and left equally.

Back