What is Your Next Golf Goal?

Honestly it's to continue to appreciate the game like I have since December 21. It changed everything for me. I'm still too hard on myself and get down about bad rounds but it's much easier to take a step back now and take it for what it is now. Something to enjoy the heck out of and not stress so much. Easier said than done, but it's night and day from last year at this time.

To do that, I think it just means continuing to engage and participate like I do here. It's no doubt a better experience when you can talk with people who love the game as much as I do. Hope to go back to an experience one day too!

I would like to get to scratch, but there are some intermediate goals along the way.

Be eligible for mid-am qualifying: 3.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating (avoid the nasty-gram from USGA).

Be eligible for US Am Qualifying: 2.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating.

Be eligible for US Open Qualifying: 1.4 handicap. Do local qualifying and return a score within 8 of the course rating.

This would require consistent day-to-day play, and good play during qualifying. I am working on bettering my ball off the tee, as well as play around the greens while executing proper course strategy.
This is what I’d really like to do as well. I’ve been wanting to play in a amateur event/tournament for years, but haven’t gotten around to looking into it

I've started a thread to half my handicap in 12 months...

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

With the break down of my stats, I want to work on my 150-200 yard shots (8i-6i), driver consistency, and ~30 yard pitches. I think hitting the range and practice areas 2x per week is achievable.

As a fun goal, I want to play a near by course that uses golfboards (sans wheelies)

1659385622121.png

I have a lot of golf goals that I’ve been tackling and updating as I go along. Small periodic goals and milestones are important to me.

Current goal is to average 30 putts or less per 18 by the end of August

To be more consistent

I have a few in my head, arranged from shorter to longer term:
1) Get to a 110mph or more driver speed fairly consistently. I'm very close (measured a 108 the other day on a solid drive), and I think continuing to work on proper mechanics with the SuperSpeed sticks will get me there.
2) Break 75 on my home course. My best is 76.
3) Related - shoot an even par round. I've had a few even par 9's and even one or two under par 9's, but I haven't been able to put it together for 18 yet.
4) Get to a 5 handicap or better. This will take some work, as that's about 5 strokes from where I'm currently sitting, but I've been making positive progress on several areas of my game and I think if I keep it up, in a year or two I could be in that neighborhood.

Unrelated to play quality, I would love to get to at least one THP Experience a year going forward! Obviously some of that is outside of my control though.

Continuing my goal to reach a HC of 5. I feel i am back on track and have made some great progress in the last 5-6 weeks. My cap just dropped to 8.7!
Improve my putting this is always something i seem to working on. It has gotten much better with the work i have been doing.
Keep working on the mental focus on the course.
Fitness always a top priority so i am ready for Dec!

The super short term goal is being ready for Sat so @MSEASU does not win 3 in a row!

Grandaddy is #1 and since there are three slots being filled in the next 3+ weeks there's a chance.

Goal 2 remains the same as its been for several years now and that's break 80. Shot on the button earlier this year so its at least in the realm of possibility

Goal 3 is somewhat arbitrary but my longer term goal is a 10 handicap. With that in mind I want to, using ShotScope data, get to within 2 strokes of a 10 on approach. Sitting at -5.28 so it's a lofty goal but with info on hand of where to focus I think it's attainable.

Goal #1 is to start hitting more greens. I have a decent short game, but hitting more GIR should allow me to score better... which should lead to goal #2... break 80 again. It’s been a while since doing that... and I would love to go there again!

My main goal for the year has been to get down as close to 10hc as I can. Started off the year without an actual ghin index but playing at a 19.8 in my amateur tour. Main focuses have been
  1. Keeping the ball in play off the tee
  2. Putting
  3. Eliminating wasted shots inside 50yds mainly chunked​
I’ve been taking lessons to fix major swing flaws and help me in each of those areas. I’ve been going at least once a week to the short game practice area and trying to play once a week as well. Hopefully work gets a little less crazy here and I can get out to practice 3 times a week again here soon. Current index is 15.3 so it’s definitely working.

Keeping up with this plan will hopefully help out with goal number two. Win the Morgan Cup!

My main goal is to break 100.

Summer has been full force between travel and work so I haven't gotten to the course or range or even pulled out the putting mat as much as I would like but I'm hoping that golf will pick back up with Myrtle only 2 weeks out.

I've never played that much golf in a row before so working on stamina by getting back into a workout routine.

Continuing my goal to reach a HC of 5. I feel i am back on track and have made some great progress in the last 5-6 weeks. My cap just dropped to 8.7!
Improve my putting this is always something i seem to working on. It has gotten much better with the work i have been doing.
Keep working on the mental focus on the course.
Fitness always a top priority so i am ready for Dec!

The super short term goal is being ready for Sat so @MSEASU does not win 3 in a row!
D6ABFD10-DC85-4DD8-B944-DE5A7A277B00.gif

A double bogey or worse free round

My next goal is what I should have conquered 2 years ago. Accept and embrace decreased distance. Trying to swing harder has not done me or my game any favors over the past couple of years. It is part of the mental game that I am working on.

I'd be lying if I didn't say getting into a THP experience is a huge goal for me. I feel like I've stepped up my THP game this year and had the pleasure of playing with a bunch of awesome guys in Ohio earlier in the season and am looking forward to doing it again in Kentucky in a few weeks.

Game related I want to get back to where the game doesn't feel like a struggle. I've had flashes where my iron contact is the way I want it to be, ball flight, etc. but it's fleeting. I can still get around the course, but most of the season I've been just a couple strokes above where I want to be. Putting has been a huge struggle, but my greatest weakness is the gap between driver and my five hybrid. I'm going to drop by the course and see about booking a lesson this week as I can't ignore it any longer. If I can get a club back in my bag that gives me something in the 185 yard range it'll be huge. On the plus side it's really helped me develop my wedge game, so that's been good.

I've also managed to get to some courses that have been on my want list for years, so that's been fun. I'd like to knock one or two more off before the end of the year.

For me since I've been moving from Appt to Appt without being able to work on Standerdizing my swing is to find a home in golf community. Oops, wait, as of last night will be settling on a house in Birkdale Golf Course in VA. Let the membership and retirement begin.

Consistent ball striking. I think that is my major hurdle. I need to not thin or slice or hit fat shots. Lesson this week hopefully helps.

I guess my over-arching goal hasn't changed — to hit 88 in a round. That'd be a PB, but beyond that, a really big personal milestone due to my, I guess, golf journey. So I guess going back 8-9 months, my first goal would have been to get lessons and dedicate myself to improving for the first time.

What I've done: lessons, videos, discussions, played more golf than I ever have in a calendar year already (and by a mile), subscribed to things like Me and My Golf and Imagine Golf, etc. And debating Decade Golf.

So the next goal: to hit 88. It'd be a big deal to me, for me, if that makes sense.
Also a goal: Participate in a THP event.

Other secondary goals: stop swinging so dang hard, really eliminate the occasional driver slice, IMPROVE PUTTING, commit to the chip.

Play at least once a week.

1) Play more often
2) get an official handicap again
3) get a job in the golf industry

1. No penalty strokes.
2. Reduce the 3 putts.

Those two could drop my scores into the lower 80s.

Maybe I should volunteer as a marshal one day a week for some free golf. lol.

Just hit my original goal of getting under 20 handicap, now have my eyes set on 15. To do this, I'm going to have to get better at getting up and down and I'm going to really have to learn how to use the driver at some point.

Beyond that, I would love to play with and meet some more THPers, keep playing golf at new places when traveling, and get stronger mentally both in dealing with nerves and keeping focus when the round isn't going as planned.

Back