What is your personal putting grip look like? Claw? Standard?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I have been working on a version of the Claw putting grip that I have seen some PGA players change to.

This grip has seemed to help my putting stroke stay on line a bit more. But, I am not sure if I should lock the grip straight down my arm or use a more natural feel with my elbows out a bit.

Here are a couple of pictures of my grip. What say you? Do you use a different grip or do you lock your wrist to align with the putter shaft?

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

Standard overlap.

If I'm getting handsy will sometimes overlap 2 fingers rather than 1.
Will reverse overlap sometimes in practice when tempo is getting wonky, never during a round though.

My putting grip is very similar to yours except I don't extend the index finger on my top hand.

Reverse overlap.

So, I have been working on a version of the Claw putting grip that I have seen some PGA players change to.

This grip has seemed to help my putting stroke stay on line a bit more. But, I am not sure if I should lock the grip straight down my arm or use a more natural feel with my elbows out a bit.

Here are a couple of pictures of my grip. What say you? Do you use a different grip or do you lock your wrist to align with the putter shaft?

Claw similar to yours, however, my left hand is more under the grip, palm up, rather than the side.

Mine is pretty standard. Start from the classic interlock that I use on full swing. Then move Index of top (left) hand to run down the shaft on top of lower hand fingers. Lower hand normal with sometimes I put its index finger down the shaft too.

Since late last year I have started running my right index finger down the shaft ala Bruce Keopka :p

Basically, standard. I've done LHL before, but not lately.

Mine is pretty conventional. I've tried a ton of other grips with the putter and keep going back to conventional.

Standard grip, relaxed.

Very recently switched to a prayer style grip with both hands parallel on each side of the grip and thumbs next to each other on the front of the grip.

My putting grip is very similar to yours except I don't extend the index finger on my top hand.

this is pretty much me as well

View attachment 8941674

View attachment 8941675
Mine looks a lot like yours. I have the left index finger down the shaft, BUT I only have my right index and middle fingers on top with the right hand not the 3 fingers you have.

I've toyed with the claw but couldn't get comfortable at all with it. I moved to left hand low with my index fingers down the shaft and it feels really natural for me.

Reverse overlap and right index finger pointing down.

I've toyed with the claw but couldn't get comfortable at all with it. I moved to left hand low with my index fingers down the shaft and it feels really natural for me.
That is the one thing about the quarantine. I just kept playing with it at home until it finally became more normal. Weird as I tried different grips last year like the claw and just never felt comfortable. I guess not playing and just sitting here hitting putts gave me the chance to get it down.

Reactions: KEV
Other than my right finger down the shaft for sensitivity, I'm pretty standard/boring. I'd never say never, but I have a real hard time believing I'll ever have a grip that differs in any significant way from my club grip.

Ive messed around with the claw from time to time and it works. I personally prefer the pencil grip though (and not the one you use for your scorecard). For me, why I like the pencil better is that I can stack my hands closer together and force them to work more as a unit.
With the claw, it feels more like I am swinging the club with just my left hand and kick of backhanding the ball. Both help to take the wrists out of the stroke but I feel like the pencil gives me more control and that I can drive the clubhead down the line better with my right hand, while still locking my left wrist to prevent me from flipping the club.

I used a claw version for about 2 years, many moons ago. Since then I have used the reverse overlap.

Standard, but with both index fingers pointing down the grip. I tried left hand low for a while, but didn't have as much success with it.

I usually putt with the standard right hand low grip. Have experimented with the claw a bit and I seem to putt about the same. I like that it forces me to swing easy and not grip the club too hard but the distance control on the long putts is tough for me.

Back