What is your responsibility level on equipment after selling?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This just came up in a local discussion... A friend bought some irons from a guy in my golf league. 2 weeks later one of the iron shafts broke on what he said what just a normal swing. The shaft actually broke inside the hosel. If you were the seller would you offer to replace the shaft? Sorry, sold as-is? If thats the case is that immediate or is there a time frame on the as-is comment?

Just thought it was an interesting question.

Sorry sold as is. His “normal swing” is different from mine and when buying second hand you run into issues like this. If you want to avoid this kind of stuff but new.

I mean I feel the seller should be responsible if they were falsely listed. I mean if I was friends with the person who bought it I would offer to go half in on the replacement.

If I were the seller, I would take care of it then take my grievance and loss to the manufacturer. Maybe its just me, but I want to do everything I can for those that are paying me to proved something.

• Admin
I mean I feel the seller should be responsible if they were falsely listed. I mean if I was friends with the person who bought it I would offer to go half in on the replacement.
If there was a problem and he knew it then yes absolutely but according to him there was nothing wrong with the clubs.

2 weeks later is far from different than same day.
im sorry its yours to deal with, i dont know what youve done with the clubs in that amount of time.
is this the first time the player used them in 2 weeks? i find that hard to believe.. i get a new club im out there 5 minutes later.

Good question. I haven't sold much but plan to sell a few items here sooner than later. I think it would depend on the situation, but I would definitely listen to any issues and try to work with someone where I felt it was appropriate. I'm not a seller per se. I'm just a passionate golfer who at times can move through some equipment.

If its a friend, depends on the condition. Is the shaft rusted out? If so, cover the repair. Is the guy a digger and beat the club into the ground? If so, sorry about your luck.

Sold as is, sorry to the buyer.

In that case who knows what happened in between the sale and the club breaking. If it was a friend I might take care of it or agree to split. It totally depends on the situation.

Assuming he didn't know their was an issue prior, it's as-is imo. Shouldn't be too terrible to get it fixed, and you didn't buy them from the manufacturer, so that's life. I would absolutely fix it for them, but I do club work, and I'd still probably have them pay for the new shaft.

I'm on the side of sold "as is" unless seller knew of an issue and didn't disclose.

Sold as-is if they’re well-loved clubs, but if it’s a buddy or even acquaintance I’d probably offer to help out to make it right.

Unless there is proof that the seller knew something was wrong, like him bragging that some schmuck just bought some clubs with rusted shafts, the seller has no responsibility. If it were a friend I sold to, I would help out by maybe splitting the cost to fix their club.

As is. You are buying 2nd hand clubs so you have to expect they are not perfect.

If there were no known issues my feeling is AS-IS. Anytime you buy equipment like this 2nd hand this is the risk you take. If the seller is feeling generous, I would say pay for a round or split a shaft, but they shouldn't feel obligated to reimburse the buyer.

I would say split the cost. I doubt it would be very much and there is no reason to have bad feelings between these two over a small amount of money.

Im out.......

This just came up in a local discussion... A friend bought some irons from a guy in my golf league. 2 weeks later one of the iron shafts broke on what he said what just a normal swing. The shaft actually broke inside the hosel. If you were the seller would you offer to replace the shaft? Sorry, sold as-is? If thats the case is that immediate or is there a time frame on the as-is comment?

Just thought it was an interesting question.
My mechanic buddy offers a 24/7 warranty on everything he does in his shop... 24 feet or 7 seconds...

Two weeks later and how many swings? If it happened w/in the first couple of uses, and it truly didn't result from hitting an immovable object, that's one thing. But if the clubs had been used several times in play and practice over that two weeks I think the seller has no responsibility.

This is the big gamble with buying used equipment. That's one reason it costs less than new.

Sorry....as is....buyer beware....

I'm in the As-Is camp. two weeks allows for too many variables. If the guy had taken a swing the moment after he handed over the cash, and the shaft broke, then I would think it's a bit more the seller's responsibility. Though even then, theres a line that can be drawn as it's important as a buyer to inspect what you are buying carefully.

I like to stand behind what I sell. If something goes wrong that COULD have been my fault I will absolutely take care of it. If someone comes to me with a putter that looks like its been run over by a truck 3 months after buying it, I'll tell them to keep walking.

Generally, I think it’s “as is.” However, if I had reshafted a club that broke within the hosel or had some reason to believe it was my responsibility, I would try to rectify the issue.

As-is. Had they been testing them on the range before the transaction, then yes replace for sure.

Back