What kind of bags do Caddies prefer?

This was in response to a question about this subject from the director of caddie services at Bandon Dunes:

"The dream bag is a bag that weighs 2.5 to 3.5 pounds with nothing in it. Our carry change out bags are the Sun Mountain 3.5 with good straps and legs. The ideal bag weight is 14 clubs, 8 golf balls, light layering piece, some tees, ball markers, and a bottle of water. The bag should weigh 25lbs or less. The Sunday carry bag is nice and light but they have to bend down each time to pick it up. It can get tiresome especially if the other bag he is carrying has legs. Now if the caddie was only single bagging then the Sunday carry bag is great."

Our club is caddie or cart before 10 on the weekends, and I am carrying my bag at other times, so I went with a very light weight sun mountain 2.5+ which is 2.9 lbs empty, and the strap system works a lot better used as a single strap than the bags I've carried in the past.

Weighed the single strap bag I plan on carrying and it came in at 21.2 pounds. With more than 8 balls 🙄 so I should be good.

When I played Pebble we had caddies carrying two bags, which they prefer. Pebble had instructions to bring a light weight single strap bag, and a weight limit. I had a pretty light Ogio single strap bag, and made sure I was well under the weight limit, but the caddie still swapped it out for one of the course bags. I didn't care, whatever he preferred was fine by me, he was the one carrying it.

8 balls, huh?

Welp, I'm out.

I mean I could lend you the last one I have left?

They’ll sell us more at the turn I’m sure. But in sleeves of 3 how do we get to 8? Answer-put one in your pocket? Sometimes I’m smart.

You're obviously a very considerate fellow. I'm sure the caddie will appreciate your decision. East Lake looks amazing. Have a great time.

East Lake Golf Club!!
I played East Lake a few years back with a caddy. That guy could read a green! I've never putted as well as I did that day. Now you have me thinking back trying to remember what bag I had and if I made his day difficult with it.

I can’t tell you what caddies prefer but I can tell bag room employees sure as hell don’t appreciate staff bags lol

So how was it? I played East Lake about 10 years ago and it was a great experience. The club house is cool, I really enjoyed the golf course and the caddies were great. I hope you had a similar experience.
It was awesome as usual!! I am lucky that I get to play there about once a year due to my involvement in the Tour Championship. The course was probably in the best condition it has been in since I havestarted playing there (about 5 years). The bunkers kicked my butt, but I am a horrible bunker players so that is on me. I did have a nice birdie on the 14th hole and made a great save for bogey on the par 3 15th (island green) after putting my tee shot in the water. Stuck my 3rd shot to about 2.5 feet.

4 way top single or backpack strap bags. I only single bagged twice, everything else has been double bag and as long as you have your clubs and 2 sleeves of golf balls that’s plenty, everyone will enjoy the round. Sure you want your personal belongings, water, etc.

Back