What kind of bags do Caddies prefer?

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This question is for those that have either caddied before or have a bit of experience using caddies.

I am playing a course Thursday and caddies will be used. Our foursome will have two caddies carrying two bags. In the past when using a caddie I have always used a stand bag with dual shoulder straps as I thought it was easier on the caddie.

While this isn't my first time using a caddie it occurred to me that a bag with a single carry strap might be easier for the caddie to carry (provided the single strap bag isn't two heavy of course) since bags with two shoulder straps can be cumbersome and a bit more tricky to position when carrying two bags.

I always want to make it as easy for my caddie as I can. So do y'all think I should use a dual shoulder strap bag or a lighter weight single strap bag?

Thanks for your input.

I always want to make it as easy for my caddie as I can. So do y'all think I should use a dual shoulder strap bag or a lighter weight single strap bag?

Thanks for your input.

Single strap light weight bag is best for the caddie. Some courses require replacing the bag the player showed up with a course-owned bag that is easier for the caddie to manage.

The single strap bags are the best out there. Courteously emptying out loose items is great as well. When I was looping, I loved the single strap Ping Hoofer bags and Titleist had a really nice single strap bag that was so comfy!

The single strap bags are the best out there. Courteously emptying out loose items is great as well. When I was looping, I loved the single strap Ping Hoofer bags and Titleist had a really nice single strap bag that was so comfy!

Thanks for your feedback! I think the lightest single strap bag I have is 5.4 pounds. Do you think that would be too much weight once clubs and balls are put into it? I always go bare minimum when I am using a caddie (unlike one of my buddies who makes no changes at all 🙄).

A bunch of clubs have the single strap Stitch SL1 bag for caddies to swap into when someone shows up with a big ole staff bag.

Thanks for your feedback! I think the lightest single strap bag I have is 5.4 pounds. Do you think that would be too much weight once clubs and balls are put into it? I always go bare minimum when I am using a caddie (unlike one of my buddies who makes no changes at all 🙄).

Oh that sounds perfect. Your caddie will thank you! What course are you playing?

Don't bring one of these.....Rodney.jpg

I've never caddied before and I also haven't used a caddie before, but I'm curious: how many of you/golfers in general even take the time to consider switching bags to make a caddie's life a little easier like @Just_Hacking is doing? Seems like a nice gesture and the right thing to do. I'm guessing not enough players do the same if some clubs have spare bags to swap out big/heavy bags with.

I ask because, to be honest, I never would have even thought about it until I was already there and it was too late.

I’ve only ever used a caddie at Pebble. Normally your clubs are transferred to another bag. It’s rare the caddie will actually carry your bag, although that might just be a pebble thing.

I’ve only ever used a caddie at Pebble. Normally your clubs are transferred to another bag. It’s rare the caddie will actually carry your bag, although that might just be a pebble thing.

I know that East Lake does have a stable of bags they use if someone shows up with a bag that doesn't work for the caddie. My previous rounds at East Lake the caddie used my bag instead of the East Lake bag.

When I played Streamsong and Kiawah Island they used the bags we brought with us. I switched to lighter bag before those rounds as well.

The bag I have got together for this round is pretty light now. The weight is barely noticeable between that and the stand bag I had picked out.

One place I played had guidelines on how heavy the bag could be and they would weigh it. If to heavy or bulky they would swap to one of the house bags for the round.

This was in response to a question about this subject from the director of caddie services at Bandon Dunes:

"The dream bag is a bag that weighs 2.5 to 3.5 pounds with nothing in it. Our carry change out bags are the Sun Mountain 3.5 with good straps and legs. The ideal bag weight is 14 clubs, 8 golf balls, light layering piece, some tees, ball markers, and a bottle of water. The bag should weigh 25lbs or less. The Sunday carry bag is nice and light but they have to bend down each time to pick it up. It can get tiresome especially if the other bag he is carrying has legs. Now if the caddie was only single bagging then the Sunday carry bag is great."

Our club is caddie or cart before 10 on the weekends, and I am carrying my bag at other times, so I went with a very light weight sun mountain 2.5+ which is 2.9 lbs empty, and the strap system works a lot better used as a single strap than the bags I've carried in the past.

Preference is the lightest bag possible haha, preference is single strap if the caddie will be double-bagging (carrying for 2 players)

This was in response to a question about this subject from the director of caddie services at Bandon Dunes:

"The dream bag is a bag that weighs 2.5 to 3.5 pounds with nothing in it. Our carry change out bags are the Sun Mountain 3.5 with good straps and legs. The ideal bag weight is 14 clubs, 8 golf balls, light layering piece, some tees, ball markers, and a bottle of water. The bag should weigh 25lbs or less. The Sunday carry bag is nice and light but they have to bend down each time to pick it up. It can get tiresome especially if the other bag he is carrying has legs. Now if the caddie was only single bagging then the Sunday carry bag is great."

Our club is caddie or cart before 10 on the weekends, and I am carrying my bag at other times, so I went with a very light weight sun mountain 2.5+ which is 2.9 lbs empty, and the strap system works a lot better used as a single strap than the bags I've carried in the past.
I have a feeling I'd need more than 8 balls on that course.

I have a feeling I'd need more than 8 balls on that course.
I haven't played there yet, will be this November, but my understanding is that it is very difficult to lose a ball out there. Short of hitting it down the cliffs to the beach.

8 balls, huh?

Welp, I'm out.

Light and balanced with a single strap which allows the caddy to carry "doubles." Of courser my experience as a caddy goes back 55+ years!

True story. My first trip to Pebble,I showed up with my trolley. I figured I make it easy for my caddy.

After seeing it, he laughingly remarked "no f#*!'%=g way". That the other loopers would laugh him off the course.

Once Covid hit Pebble Beach GC now allows players to use pull/push/trolley carts.

Back