what kind of dog do you have?

AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
so, what kind of dog do you have? right now we are in between dogs. my last dog, a german shepherd, died 3 years ago, although it seems like yesterday....and we have not replaced her yet. we have a 4 year old and she is enough work without also having to train a puppy all over again....BUT....i think Santa might bring one this Christmas.

i really want to get another german shepherd, my wife loves them, but i also want a more kid friendly dog. yes i know shepherds are great family pets but some people are scared of them and i don't want my daughters friends scared to come over our house because of a dog.

thoughts?

F45A0CCB-86B9-4A4F-BF46-15032D2136E7.jpeg
We rescued this little goofball about 2 1/2 years ago. Her personality has completely flipped from when we first brought her home but in a good way. When we first got her she was really timid and shy. All she would do was lay around but once her real personality came out she’s a lot of fun. She pretty much runs the house. She is awesome with everyone but especially kids. All she wants to do is be loved on and play

We have a pit lab mix and another staff pit, who's the biggest cuddler possible

20190916_145354.jpg

If I had a young child I would get a Golden Retriever. I have had a few of them and they are super family friendly, loyal dogs that like kids. My last golden died a few years ago, and my step son has a golden that is a great dog.
Max2.jpg

We have an idiot. He's some sort of mongrel...wired haired terrier mix.

We have a pit lab mix and another staff pit, who's the biggest cuddler possible

View attachment 8911363

it’s a shame those dogs have the reputations they do. I interact with a lot of different dogs in my line of work and pits are always the friendliest and goofiest ones I run across

I actually have two Austrailian Shepherds, a mini and a toy, and we have a 16 month old and they do fairly well with him. They are extremely smart and very active which could be nice for your four year old if she is fairly active. Our mini is 6 and our toy is 3 and the Mini has mellowed out a bit but the toy still has all the energy in the world. That all being said I think training for these dogs goes a long way in making them some of the best dogs. From all the people I have met no one ever has regrets an Aussie...unless you have a problem with shedding. The other dogs that I have always been amazed with is the Border Collie. Very similar to the Aussie but I have always been amazed with border collies and what a little time from the owner can do.
imgsvr.jpg

Last edited:
it’s a shame those dogs have the reputations they do. I interact with a lot of different dogs in my line of work and pits are always the friendliest and goofiest ones I run across
Would agree that it is a shame they have the "Bully Breed" reputation. I will say they may be a bit more aggressive but I believe a lot of fault when accidents occur comes down to the owner. Dogs are huge responsibilities and proper time needs to be given to dogs and proper training needs to be done to both the dog and the owner.

I have a German Shepherd now, have had Labs, Goldens, Ausies, and many mid to large size muts over the years. You can skip a lot of the puppy training by deciding what breed you want and rescuing one from a breed specific rescue organization. I got my current dog, he was a 5 year old when I got him, from one of several German Shepherd Rescue organizations in my area, and could have gotten a dog anywhere from about 1 year old on up. Most dogs from these organizations have at least basic house and obedience training already, and a good rescue organization will also be able to tell you if a particular dog is good with kids, other pets, etc. It is a great way to get a good dog.

Would agree that it is a shame they have the "Bully Breed" reputation. I will say they may be a bit more aggressive but I believe a lot of fault when accidents occur comes down to the owner. Dogs are huge responsibilities and proper time needs to be given to dogs and proper training needs to be done to both the dog and the owner.

Like I said, I interact with a ton of different dogs throughout my day and the only time I really run across aggressive dogs are ones that are abused or don’t get socialized. Treat them well, give them a little attention, and try to get them interaction with other dogs and people and more than likely you’ll have a great dog.

I agree that, while I’m sure there are asshole dogs, the majority that are aggressive get that from the owner. The most aggressive dog I’ve ever ran into was a basset hound. ?

We had a Golden Retriever who was the best dog ever honestly. She loved our kids and always had energy to play. She was extremely smart too. Retrievers do shed a lot, but they are worth it IMO. She dies about 2 months ago :cry: and that was probably the hardest thing our family has gone through together.

Now we have an Irish Setter. We rescued her about a year ago and she is a great dog as well. She is super high energy and loves to go outside and run around. We have a large yard with trees and she has an electric collar so she goes out sides and runs squirrels up those trees. She could do that for hours :LOL:. She does not shed near as much as the Golden, but she still sheds some. She is very smart and follows directions very well...unless she is more interested in something else. She is easily distracted because of her energy level. She also seems to be very attuned to daylight. As soon as the sun rises she is ready to go all day long and will run in and out of the house as many times as you let her, but as soon as the sun goes down she plops down on the couch and falls asleep immediately.

we've been dog-free for just over a year and are not in any hurry to get another. while we still miss him terribly and wouldn't trade the 11+ years we had with him for anything, we don't miss having a dog.

We had a Golden Retriever who was the best dog ever honestly. She loved our kids and always had energy to play. She was extremely smart too. Retrievers do shed a lot, but they are worth it IMO. She dies about 2 months ago :cry: and that was probably the hardest thing our family has gone through together.

Now we have an Irish Setter. We rescued her about a year ago and she is a great dog as well. She is super high energy and loves to go outside and run around. We have a large yard with trees and she has an electric collar so she goes out sides and runs squirrels up those trees. She could do that for hours :LOL:. She does not shed near as much as the Golden, but she still sheds some. She is very smart and follows directions very well...unless she is more interested in something else. She is easily distracted because of her energy level. She also seems to be very attuned to daylight. As soon as the sun rises she is ready to go all day long and will run in and out of the house as many times as you let her, but as soon as the sun goes down she plops down on the couch and falls asleep immediately.

That sounds like our dog. When she is on a scent I swear you could light her tail on fire and she wouldn’t even notice. We tried the electric collars but they didn’t work on her because if she smelled a rabbit or a deer she would blow right through the barrier. Didn’t even phase her

That sounds like our dog. When she is on a scent I swear you could light her tail on fire and she wouldn’t even notice. We tried the electric collars but they didn’t work on her because if she smelled a rabbit or a deer she would blow right through the barrier. Didn’t even phase her
Yeah, I think we would have the same problem, but we live on a golf course and have 2 huge trees at the end of our lot and after that is open course so the squirrels run up those trees and she can bark at them from inside the collar radius ?. One day I was on the course and she was on the side of the tree closest to our house barking and on the other side of the tree facing me about 10' up was a squirrel just frozen in place in fear ?. I love dogs!!!

Edited to add a picture of her sleeping. Never seen a dog sleep like this.

20190720_115331.jpg

Last edited:
We've had two yellow labs, one a pet store special (made it to 11) and our current 12+ Southern rescue. Both great dogs. Very smart. Both shed immensely. Both incredibly gentle and mellow after puppydom. The foodar is strong with this breed.

IMG_20140711_182636_427.jpg
Kemper, my American pitbull terrier/ Boxer mix that passed last August. Biggest baby you could imagine but his nickname given to him by all the neighbors was Cujo! Someone drive in my yard and they could hear him 2 miles down the road.

She’s a mutt, not sure but we suspect a mix of Great Dane, Ridgeback, and Pitbull 5A58B174-E8EE-4B37-B97F-50CE721D61A1.jpeg

I have a Boston Terrier/Beagle mix. She's wonderful, super-high energy when she was young, but she's mellowed. Still a lot of fun, and very clever. She's kinda hit or miss with kids. Not malicious in the slightest, but occasionally just wants to sniff/lick in a way that kids can find a little much.

Attachments

• 20190826_185842.jpg
    20190826_185842.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 10
Chesapeake Bay Retriever .... very family oriented dog. Will protect you & your family till it's last breath. Very intelligent, hard working, great hunting dog but also loves kids. Especially if they play fetch with them!

COCO vs the soccer ball.jpg

i totally agree with the bad rep the pitts get BUT saying that, i just would not get one for that reason. the rep i mean....don't want kids too scared to come over or the parents scared.

i totally agree with the bad rep the pitts get BUT saying that, i just would not get one for that reason. the rep i mean....don't want kids too scared to come over or the parents scared.

Definitely agree with you. I would look at getting one if my kids were teenagers but having younger kids that sometimes just don't know how to tone it down around a dog, the risk isn't worth it.

Back