What legendary putter would you want to own?

Say you can pick ANY putter in golf's history, the actual putter from any of the moments. What do you pick, and why? (and put a pic up if you can!)

An Odyssey putter with TP Mills "Alabama" stamp on it. ;)

It's probably going to be the most common answer, but there is absolutely no way I could pass on Tiger's Scotty for anything else

Whatever the putter was that Arnold Palmer won the US Open at Cherry Hills with. I think it was an 8802, but whatever it was, i would love to own that one.

Ben Hogan's putter from when he won the Grand Slam in '53!

Whatever the putter was that Arnold Palmer won the US Open at Cherry Hills with. I think it was an 8802, but whatever it was, i would love to own that one.

Mike, it was a heavily-modified MacGregor Tommy Armour Iron Master. He also painted it black. The actual model has been debated for years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.51.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.51.40 AM.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 9
I don't think this is the one he's won 14 major with, but sure looks close. His is milled smooth, and doesn't have the "TW" stamping.

I'd have to go with his actual SC, or the Tel3 he used to win his first Masters.

-Bishop

An Odyssey putter with TP Mills "Alabama" stamp on it. ;)
I feel like I saw a white buffalo based on how quickly those disappeared

L roberts.jpg
Like Verplank, Loren Roberts used only one putter throughout his career. I always thought it was a PING Anser, but it was a Cobra putter with the same shape. He missed a couple of key short putts in the '94 US Open, but he also made a TON of putts that week - I thought for sure he'd win that one. I don't know what the stats say, but Loren Roberts was the best putter in my mind.

Ditto!
8692167.jpg

View attachment 8914612
Like Verplank, Loren Roberts used only one putter throughout his career. I always thought it was a PING Anser, but it was a Cobra putter with the same shape. He missed a couple of key short putts in the '94 US Open, but he also made a TON of putts that week - I thought for sure he'd win that one. I don't know what the stats say, but Loren Roberts was the best putter in my mind.
You're correct, it was a Cobra putter, but not the same shape as the Anser. The design was actually a take-off of the Ping Zing. The Cobra Greg Norman U Model was CNC-machined from carbon steel. A great feeling putter indeed! ??

You're correct, it was a Cobra putter, but not the same shape as the Anser. The design was actually a take-off of the Ping Zing. The Cobra Greg Norman U Model was CNC-machined from carbon steel. A great feeling putter indeed! ??
I'd like one of those putters AND Loren Roberts' stroke to go with it!

I would want a putter made by either Scotty or Bettinardi or whoever. But I want to design it and just have them execute it. This or the putter in this picture but right handed. it is a Scotty Cameron Calamity Jane 1 of 1..

. phil.PNG

There is only one for me.
The original #7 with a couple of sketches from Austie.

Of course, from the "legend in my own mind" category, I would love a custom Bullseye Flange like this one. I used a Bullseye Flange from 1976 - mid 1990's and those were the best putting years of my life.
Bullseye.jpg

I don't think this is the one he's won 14 major with, but sure looks close. His is milled smooth, and doesn't have the "TW" stamping.

I'd have to go with his actual SC, or the Tel3 he used to win his first Masters.

-Bishop
It's not. That was one of many made for him that never made the bag. His actual gamer is smooth faced, no tw on the face and looks like it's been through a war with all the bag chatter on it.tiger-woods-putter-face.jpg

It's not. That was one of many made for him that never made the bag. His actual gamer is smooth faced, no tw on the face and looks like it's been through a war with all the bag chatter on it.View attachment 8914677

The funny thing about that putter to me is that it is most likely your standard milled stainless steel putter. There are a dozen companies making that exact putter in terms of shape, material, and design. It is just the hands that hold it that matter.

Justin Leonard's putter from the 1999 Ryder Cup.

The funny thing about that putter to me is that it is most likely your standard milled stainless steel putter. There are a dozen companies making that exact putter in terms of shape, material, and design. It is just the hands that hold it that matter.
Design and shape, yes. Material, not so much as far as run of the mill goes. That putter is GSS. But yeah, the hands that hold it would definitely drive up the value!

It has to be Tiger’s. Calamity Jane is a good option though too!

Design and shape, yes. Material, not so much as far as run of the mill goes. That putter is GSS. But yeah, the hands that hold it would definitely drive up the value!

The funny thing about German stainless steel. It is not even the best stainless steel. Scotty Cameron just marketed it very well. Another name for GSS is 303 GSS and it is widely used by many many putter companies. It is far from the purist stainless steel available. German Stainless steel has a higher sulfur content that makes it easier to work with. It is also in many cases cheaper than other stainless steels. Again Scotty marketing.

The funny thing about German stainless steel. It is not even the best stainless steel. Scotty Cameron just marketed it very well. Another name for GSS is 303 GSS and it is widely used by many many putter companies. It is far from the purist stainless steel available. German Stainless steel has a higher sulfur content that makes it easier to work with. It is also in many cases cheaper than other stainless steels. Again Scotty marketing.
It's not the higher sulfer content, it's the slightly higher carbon content that makes it softer. Scotty marketing does it the best, definitely. But when you look at Piretti, or Byron Morgan or some of the other companies using GSS, they're still in the $1500+ range while their standard SC or 303 ss models are quite a bit less expensive.

Calamity JANE, hands down.

Back