What makes a brand fail?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sitting here eating dinner and was thinking about some brands I used to love that just fell into oblivion and wonder what happened.

Is is it that they stopped listening to their customers? Did staying in the past lock hem out of a future? Bad releases?

what do you think makes a brand fail?

Perceived value does not equal price (due to bad marketing, lack of innovation, or the ability to market said innovation as necessity). Very rarely is it due to a poor performing product. It is due to the inability to create a need for the consumer that can only be met by one of their products.

In the end, money.

Now, that could be money invested in R&D, in marketing, in hiring the right people, in keeping the right people, in customer support, into developing options, in quality control, or whatever, but in the end that's the big thing.

I know its a broad/obvious answer, but for me that really is the root of it all.

Poor Leadership. The body goes where the head tells it to.

Based on your original post, I'm guessing this is more in reference to previously successful brands that die. And my take on it is that it often comes down to an inability to adapt, either to changing technology, changing market conditions, a changing supply chain, etc. For instance, there were some brands that adapted well and embraced metalwood technology, taking that technology and running with it (Callaway, TaylorMade, etc.). Others clung to the past technologies, and you don't hear about those companies any more.

Let's see what we learn from Taylormade's marketing strategy over the next few years.....

Lack of marketing, and skimping on quality materials in order to increase margin (cutting dollars to save cents).

Consumers now are smarter than they were 15 years ago. We know what's good and what's not.

You have to craft a vision and take people there, if the vision isn't articulated then you can never have a call to arms.

The companies that fail to live by the truth that perception is reality.

If you are perceived as selling low quality goods, or an "old man" brand, or a dying brand etc. Then that's what you are until you change people's minds.

In the end, money.

Now, that could be money invested in R&D, in marketing, in hiring the right people, in keeping the right people, in customer support, into developing options, in quality control, or whatever, but in the end that's the big thing.

I know its a broad/obvious answer, but for me that really is the root of it all.
Gwt out of my head. The founders brand fell short because of money. Greay woodd in earlt 90s but need a ship full of money to stay a float. Same with Lynx and Maxfli I suspect. How Tommy armour has survived, I'll never know.

As a business owner it means a failure to provide your customer with a product that gives them either superior performance or good value. That is number one. Second would be giving them good customer service. I work to do both.

Usually it's poor sales. :beauty:

Money and quality products would the reason I think companies fail

Eyes wide shut and managing instead of leading. Whether it be the direct or indirect influence of the old pyramid structure. Once that triangle stands on its base...only a matter of time.

Gwt out of my head. The founders brand fell short because of money. Greay woodd in earlt 90s but need a ship full of money to stay a float. Same with Lynx and Maxfli I suspect. How Tommy armour has survived, I'll never know.

GolfSmith has helped keep them afloat

I worked at a golf shop in the late 90's to 2003 and the running joke was any company that Nick Price endorsed was a goner. Goldwin and Atrigon being two that comes to mind. Our company newsletter made a joke about it which prompted a call from Nick Price's attorney. Fortunately Nick Price thought it was funny and didn't pursue anything.

Sometimes its because another brand buys them out and runs it into the ground too. I think that mostly, it has to do with other products coming out that make a big name and keep innovating. if you fall behind you get left behind. It has to do with so much, and the wrong people or strategies in place can kill a brand.

Just making bad decisions. I think the one that stands out in my mind MacGregor. They used to be the cream of the crop in the 60s, 70s, even the 80s and into the 90s. They were bought out by an investment group who thought they could make more money by lowering the quality and price and selling through Wal-Mart and the like. It didn't work it backfired. So a new group purchased MacGregor intent in returning them to glory, and made some great products but they got completely left behind and lost. And the reputation was tarnished. They failed to attract big enough endorsers to get back on track and now they are just another store brand at Golfsmith.

Also let's not forget companies with large pension funds getting gobbled up by larger companies, then having their assets sold off to profit a few investors. The brand is still around but what used to be a big name is now a bargain brand sold in Walmart. Quality? Who cares?

Combination of product quality, value proposition, customer service, and Marketing. Point me to a brand failure, and I believe the reasons above would be the main issue(s).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on your original post, I'm guessing this is more in reference to previously successful brands that die. And my take on it is that it often comes down to an inability to adapt, either to changing technology, changing market conditions, a changing supply chain, etc. For instance, there were some brands that adapted well and embraced metalwood technology, taking that technology and running with it (Callaway, TaylorMade, etc.). Others clung to the past technologies, and you don't hear about those companies any more.
Yep, it's vision. Without the proper vision, and ability to predict the trends in your market and thereby produce something that consumers believe is relevant and will purchase ... you'll fail every time.

Sometimes a brand succeeds too much and then fails because of it. See Adams and TM. Adams because it was too innovative and thus gobbled up. TM - hubris IMO. That being said, neither grade is complete at this point in their case. Others it is simply poor management, or as others have said vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked at a golf shop in the late 90's to 2003 and the running joke was any company that Nick Price endorsed was a goner. Goldwin and Atrigon being two that comes to mind. Our company newsletter made a joke about it which prompted a call from Nick Price's attorney. Fortunately Nick Price thought it was funny and didn't pursue anything.

LOL pretty cool story. I'm guessing there are certain other golfers out there who might not have such a sense of humor about it...

I feel that it all stems from the amount of cash they have on hand and where they invest/allocate it.

For instance, I feel that Taylormade had too much money on hand for its own good which worked short term however while they were throwing a bunch of sh*t at the wall waiting for it to stick their competition (See: Callaway) simply watched what they were investing / focusing on and gained significant market share....

Now I am not saying TMade will "fail" but right now it is trending downward it seems...

Back