What method do you use to record FIR, GIR, etc

uitar99

Reaction score
Handicap
I still use pencil and paper scorecard. Not comfortable using an app while golfing.

Trying to track some of my shots off the tee, where the ball ended up. FIR GIR or where I miss on approach shots etc

Could someone point me towards a common or standard method folks might use

I still use pencil and paper scorecard. Not comfortable using an app while golfing.

Trying to track some of my shots off the tee, where the ball ended up. FIR GIR or where I miss on approach shots etc

sometimes the same as you, sometimes I use the 18birdies app

I don't track any stats. Probably should start....but I just don't really stick with it every time I attempt to start such tracking.

I use 18 birdies but I can remember my shots from my rounds usually for a few months so many times I just go into the memory banks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On my gps when you enter your score it asks if your tee shot was left, right or fairway also the amount of putts and sand saves. I glance at it after a round. It's one thing to keep stats and another thing knowing what to do with the info.

You can use Gamegolf Classic. That's what I use, I have a fairly good memory for how things go in a round and sometimes GG will miss a FIR or GIR but it lets you adjust each shot.

I still keep a scorecard with relevant information besides the score, and then when the round is over take a pic of it. Then when I go home I upload my round and go through it shot by shot using the pic of my scorecard to make sure I have everything done accurately. It sounds like a lot but really takes maybe ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always do both and transfer your pencil and paper to an app after your round.

I just use a pencil, and the extra boxes on the card. Simple math at the end of the round. Technology can be too distracting.

when I track things (and I usually don't much anymore) I just use the score card.
Score on top,
check mark in 2nd lower box for fir
check for gir in lower box
check or x for save attaempt
and last box for putts.

I always do putts and score at least.

I just find I don't need to see stats in order to know how well I was at any area of play and in fact many the stats can be skewed anyway when used for this purpose. I know it can be fun to keep stats. But to use them in order to figure out what I need to be better at is just something I already know as I play my rounds and also after im done. I just don't see how its hard to know exactly what areas of play were bad or better in my recent playing. But when I kept them better at one time it was a bit fun to see them collectively pile up through a season. That said just too much skewed info imo to truly gain from them.

I keep track on my scorecard and enter it into TheGrint after each round. They have the best stats tracking that I've seen, and I like that it's a free handicap. They also have tips on a standard way to mark your scorecard because you can submit a picture of your scorecard to them and they will update your stats for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I keep a journal. Trying to keep track of my stats, while playing, is distracting to me.

If I track it's only during the round and I use the scorecard

I never do anything with it after, but I track Fairways Hit and putts on the scorecard. Don't mark greens as you can figure that out by your putts.

I use the standard pencil and scorecard method and then transfer those stats into a spreadsheet that I created to track % and give a visual representation of where my scores are over a season. I've tried using an app for the stat keeping but I hate having to unlock my phone after every shot.

I'm a pencil/paper guy too (on the course, anyway). I track:

Score, putts, club off the tee, fairways hit/missed, greens hit/missed

I'm able to track all these stats - except club off the tee - when posting scores.

I never do anything with it after, but I track Fairways Hit and putts on the scorecard. Don't mark greens as you can figure that out by your putts.
Same, fairways hit and putts. And written down on the scorecard, I'll upload them later on.

If I have a sand save or penalty/OB I'll make a small notation on that hole to remember to record that, but nothing too crazy. GIR is something I've yet to record.

I use The Grint. I always start out the year strong and use it every round but I've been pretty bad at logging my stats lately.

Same, fairways hit and putts. And written down on the scorecard, I'll upload them later on.

If I have a sand save or penalty/OB I'll make a small notation on that hole to remember to record that, but nothing too crazy. GIR is something I've yet to record.

I do the same and load them up to "The Grint" afterwards.

I use the standard pencil and scorecard method and then transfer those stats into a spreadsheet that I created to track % and give a visual representation of where my scores are over a season. I've tried using an app for the stat keeping but I hate having to unlock my phone after every shot.

The same as this. I tried using 18birdies last time for stats but I was also using it for GPS that day so unlocking and switching back and fourth wasn't great. Will stick with scorecard and then move to spreadsheet and 18birdies after the round.

I am still old school, just like you ... with one caveat ... use a sharpie on the scorecard on the area with the layout of the hole. (if it has one ... some older courses don't)

Put a dot where the ball was in the fairway (left, middle, right or where it was missed) ... that goes for the green as well (maybe a dot where the pin was in one color (red) and one dot where your ball is (long, left, right, short or missed) in black) Or if you have a fairly good memory (some of us don't anymore), you can remember where it was After the round. But I guess that's why all these Aps were created ... so you didn't have to remember it. HA!

I use a pencil and scorecard, after the round I upload it all to Grint.

I don't keep track of stats as I see no value in it.....for me.
I only keep score.

Gamegolf live

Tag it and forget it. You don't have to think about your score during the round.

Back