What most influences your golf game?

malemotives

Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
What one (or two) thing you do during a round most influences your success from tee to tee? And, what one thing totally destroys your game, even momentarily?

drp3434

Reaction score
Handicap
Malört
Concentration, for both.

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Focus and attitude for both go a long way, but some days I just have it while other days nothing seem's to help.

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
How short my memory is. Whether I groove a swing or hit one OB, the next shot is a completely new shot and that last one is over with. This requires concentration and a positive attitude too.

ns1189

Reaction score
Handicap
19.2 GHIN
I have really had to learn to have a short memory and forget bad holes when move on to the next one. I also have learned not to linger over a shot too long, if I do I starting thinking about too much and that never works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mental
Remembering to let the ball get in the way and to relax everything I can and give it a smooth swing. Hitting at the ball and trying to muscle it to my intended target is iffy at best.

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
My attitude, but it is getting better. A few bad shots or a bad hole after playing a few good ones will really get me down. I have definitely gotten a lot better tho. It's something I've been working on pretty hard.

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Also another thing that hurts me which I've worked on as well is trying to pull off shots I shouldn't be. I've been a lot better at taking my medicine and playing for par or bogey instead of trying to pull off the perfect shot playing for birdie.

moosejaa

Mr. Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
I need to hit that first good pure strike to help remind me of what I should be concentrating on.

teed-off

Reaction score
Handicap
Also another thing that hurts me which I've worked on as well is trying to pull off shots I shouldn't be. I've been a lot better at taking my medicine and playing for par or bogey instead of trying to pull off the perfect shot playing for birdie.
Agree.

I do not "go for" the 245yrd second shot over water on a par 5, only to hope for a chance at an eagle or birdie. I will lay up and focus on staying within my game and enjoy the round.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Loose and jovial between shots and concentration above the ball. Uptight playing partners drive me nuts.

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
Slow play kills my game. I can deal with it, but I mentally know I have no chance of going low that day. Too much time in between shots and I get preoccupied with other things around me, conversation, checking my email, wildlife, etc.

TNTCigarguy

2014 #THPMC @TntCigarguy
Reaction score
Handicap
Cigars
Slow play kills my game. I can deal with it, but I mentally know I have no chance of going low that day. Too much time in between shots and I get preoccupied with other things around me, conversation, checking my email, wildlife, etc.
Should have seen him jump when the alligator moved in Fl he was taking a pic of. Lol

O'Carroll

O'verrated
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Fat Calves
I haven't figured out that magical component that helps me play better, but two things that make my game go south are course management and focus. Lack of confidence to recover from a bad shot, or a bad hole, or a bad round doesn't help either.

Jman

#JakeNation
Albatross 2019 Club Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain.

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
It's all mental for me. I either get frustrated and let it spiral into a disaster and/or I get way too hard on myself when every shot isn't perfect. My best rounds are when I put no pressure on myself and/or I stay focused and don't let bad shots rattle me. Eventually I figure out a way to put together a decent round if I don't get in my own way. I'm working on it, but it's an ongoing thing. Now I'm taking lessons and am focusing on improving my swing, which I hope helps me stay focused and better realize why my swing is off.

DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
It is a golf swing, not a golf hit. This pretty much answers both questions in the OP.

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
execution of previous shot and remembering certain things that really clicked.

Tadashi70

Albatross 2019 Club Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just play, I either have it or I don't. If I don't then I work on keeping it together. If I got it, I just keep doing what I do.

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
Staying concentrated yet relaxed and keeping my focus

Both can be my success or down fall

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

jhstew1

Idiot Free
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5.8 Ghin
Loss of Concentration/Focus, which usually stems from someone wanting to chat, Once I get out of the cart chatty time is over for me, unfortunately sometimes not for others

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2019 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have no idea really, sometimes the shots come easy and everything seems to click and sometimes out of the blue comes a golfer I have never met. I suspect it all relates to how rested I am though.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in