What Motivates You To Workout? What Are Your 2020/2021 Offseason Fitness Goals?

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
So, as with most years, I found myself finding excuses to cut my workout routine out of the equation through the Summer. This year was a lot easier with Covid restrictions in place. The gym was absolutely packed every time I went in. I don't like my golf game to be effected by doms since my season is so short. Rather than just scaling back my workouts, I kind of lose interest.

Anyhow, here I am staring into the abyss of winter and now I want to get myself back in shape. But, this year I am having a hard time finding that one thing that motivates me to go in when I don't feel like it. My pants fitting a little tighter and my belt getting a little smaller isn't doing it this time. Last week, I saw a picture someone took of me that day. It's not like I packed on 20 pounds. But, the pandemic and my tendency to drink Busch Light has made an obvious impact on my appearance. I finally found it. It's time to do something about it.

The local city course opened up again for this week with highs getting into the 60's. So, I am playing 1-2 rounds this week. Once golf is out of the equation, I am getting my fat a** back in shape. I just joined a huge gym a few blocks from my house. And by huge, I don't mean busy. It is just a large facility. They are limiting the amount of members to help them remain open through the winter. So far, the plan is to start with 3 days a week. In the past, I have tried to push myself too far too fast and burned out. I will start by "waking up" my body. I still want to do compound lifts. But, I will get nowhere near my max. Probably limit myself to 1 or 2 sets for each group then work up from there. Nothing worse than jumping back in and hardly being able to walk up and down stairs for a few days after, lol. I may even work with a trainer after a couple weeks to make sure I am on a plan that I can stick to.

So, I am excited to get things going again. What about the rest of you cold weather THPers? What do you have on the off season agenda?

Starting Strength or strong lifts. They're similar programs. I used strong lifts for the app tracking personally. But I used starting strength as a guide. 3 days a week, it's an A and B workout program.

A
Squat
Bench
Row or even better power clean

B
Squat
Press
Deadlift

Do everything as 3x5. Start light, add 5lbs. each session, and 10lb. to the deadlift. Keep adding weight until you can't. You should be able to get 3 to 4 months out of that with no issues. You'll be amazed in how strong you get and how much you feel better.

If you want to do other lifts or cardio stuff after and have time and energy then great, if not then you'll still be going good. Adding weight every session keeps you motivated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i used to work out like a maniac while on active duty...i just don't have that 2nd piece of motivation (the job requirement) now...that, and i've had surgery (probably pending another one) and got sick (and still haven't really gotten over that) this summer...but i'm getting back on it. slowly.

Starting Strength or strong lifts. They're similar programs. I used strong lifts for the app tracking personally. But I used starting strength as a guide. 3 days a week, it's an A and B workout program.

A
Squat
Bench
Row or even better power clean

B
Squat
Press
Deadlift

Do everything as 3x5. Start light, add 5lbs. each session, and 10lb. to the deadlift. Keep adding weight until you can't. You should be able to get 3 to 4 months out of that with no issues. You'll be amazed in how strong you get and how much you feel better.

If you want to do other lifts or cardio stuff after and have time and energy then great, if not then you'll still be going good. Adding weight every session keeps you motivated.

I did go that route a couple years ago. It may be a great way to start this time around too.

I did go that route a couple years ago. It may be a great way to start this time around too.
I recommend that route for anyone. Gives you a great strength base. After running a linear progression program you can branch off into anything and have a great platform built.

I recommend that route for anyone. Gives you a great strength base. After running a linear progression program you can branch off into anything and have a great platform built.

Yeah, it's really simple to follow too. Glad you mentioned it. Kind of forgot about it for some reason.

What motivates me to work out? At 68 years old, absolutely nothing! Even though I know that I should, at least, walk around the block a time or two! We get old, we get lazy!

Have a few right now, and can't say they are in this order:

1. hitting a new decade: it shouldn't be a big deal but having your age end in a 0 makes you realize you aren't getting any younger and your body is just going to deteriorate from this point on and all you can do is slow that down or speed it up with your actions.

2. improving my golf swing: seeing distance gains from some light workouts and better mechanics makes me think what if I turned some lard into muscle, even if it is a gram or two at a time.

3. Feeling better: not while I am at the gym or working out so much, not even after, but I sleep so much better when I work out regularly.

Probably more but those are the main ones. Taking it slow as gyms just opened up nov 1st here, but feel like I can get back at it pretty quickly.

Over the course of my many years I have broken my tibia plateau and my ankle. As a result I carry my own home depot in my knee and ankle. If I don't do Pilates at least twice a week my mobility is compromised and and have a hard time golfing. That's all the incentive I need.

Have a few right now, and can't say they are in this order:

1. hitting a new decade: it shouldn't be a big deal but having your age end in a 0 makes you realize you aren't getting any younger and your body is just going to deteriorate from this point on and all you can do is slow that down or speed it up with your actions.

2. improving my golf swing: seeing distance gains from some light workouts and better mechanics makes me think what if I turned some lard into muscle, even if it is a gram or two at a time.

3. Feeling better: not while I am at the gym or working out so much, not even after, but I sleep so much better when I work out regularly.

Probably more but those are the main ones. Taking it slow as gyms just opened up nov 1st here, but feel like I can get back at it pretty quickly.

Definitely the bolded

The only thing that worked for me was working out with a partner/s . If I had to do it by myself ,it just wouldn't happen. There needed to be a social element to working out to keep me coming back everyday. Looking back I rarely missed a day in 15 years (Monday to Friday) working with two other guys and pushing each other everyday.
Best advice I can give you is to team up with a partner who is serious about working out - two partners is even better.

I like to maintain strength and flexibility during the months away from golf. I will also run throughout the winter depending on the weather. However, running indoors on an indoor track or treadmill will likely not be possible for some time. Unfortunately, I'm currently not comfortable with the idea of working out at a gym. But, I currently have more than enough stuff in the basement to facilitate my workouts.

In January of 2020, my medical checkup showed a big rise in my blood glucose levels which I keep a close eye on as I have type 2 diabetes. That was my motivation last year. In 10 months, I’ve lost close to 50 pounds and my A1C is lower by a point and a half. My goal is to lose another 25 pounds which should, hopefully remove some of the strain on my already bad back, and with luck, get me off the diabetes medicine. I accomplished my weight loss just from reducing carbs in my diet and walking 3 miles a day when I’m not playing golf. Ive been overweight for a long time and have been diabetic for 10 years. I’ve never before been motivated to exercise but I’ve seen what diabetes can do if you don’t take care of yourself. My medical checkup was the motivation last year, and my success at weight loss is the motivation for this year. That plus I’m going to try and get back some of the yardage I’ve lost off the tee.

So, I've been slowly getting myself back in. Trying to ease into it and not just jump in with doms galore. I've been just getting in and doing cardio the last few days. Tonight, I started just a basic starting strength like routine. Just 2 sets and low weight. Will see how much I can step out up next time.

So this gym is an old racket ball club. Everything is kind of segregated. Well, when I was wandering down to get to the free weights, I found this old racket ball court in the corner with this gem in it.

20201107_212346.jpg

This may very well change my off season goals and definitely step up the motivation factor.

I'm not too sold on about golf. I haven't found them to be super accurate. And this one seems to be an older unit. But, it's better than nothing. They don't have this thing advertised whatsoever. So, I don't know if it's included with my membership or not. If it is, I'll be in there almost every day. If not, I'll probably try it a few times to see how it performs.

As I often sarcastically tell my wife, I’m a genetic gold mine. 3 knee surgeries before I turned 16, broken wrists on each arm, bad shoulders, and a crappy neck and back, my motivation is keeping myself pain-free. Since my wife started med school 5 years ago I’ve found it challenging to get into a solid routine for more than a few months ok, weeks. We now have rubber mats, a dip and pull up bar, and dumbbells up to 25lbs in our basement. My goal is to pack on a few pounds this winter simply by establishing a routine and sticking with it. I also need to be ready for my planned Tough Mudder in May!

For this winter, I am starting to train more formally and regularly. I am very active day to day with things like walking and hiking (15-20K steps per day on average) but need more cardio. I just setup the bike trainer and will begin a formal training routine. I will also get in quite a bit of skate skiing. Those combined give me the cardio I want and need and will strengthen the legs and core. I may also add in some strength training this year. I haven't done that in many years. My goals are simply maintaining health and resilience and giving myself an opportunity to stay active in sports I enjoy. With golf I want to add distance off the tee. That will take more than fitness and strength, but those things won't hurt.

The thing I should do but don't seem to get rolling with is yoga. I have done a lot of rehab work on my knees and shoulders and some of that is yoga like. But with a stellar yoga teacher in the house, I'm a fool to not pursue a more regular yoga practice.

For this winter, I am starting to train more formally and regularly. I am very active day to day with things like walking and hiking (15-20K steps per day on average) but need more cardio. I just setup the bike trainer and will begin a formal training routine. I will also get in quite a bit of skate skiing. Those combined give me the cardio I want and need and will strengthen the legs and core. I may also add in some strength training this year. I haven't done that in many years. My goals are simply maintaining health and resilience and giving myself an opportunity to stay active in sports I enjoy. With golf I want to add distance off the tee. That will take more than fitness and strength, but those things won't hurt.

The thing I should do but don't seem to get rolling with is yoga. I have done a lot of rehab work on my knees and shoulders and some of that is yoga like. But with a stellar yoga teacher in the house, I'm a fool to not pursue a more regular yoga practice.
The cardio is what I have the hardest part with. Aside from increasing my strength and mobility, I do want to lose some weight. I won't be able to do that as fast as I'd like without some cardio. The thought of mindlessly jogging on a treadmill is terrifying, lol. Bike isn't as bad. Stair stepper is ok too. I need to find some more creative ways to get some significant cardio in.

The cardio is what I have the hardest part with. Aside from increasing my strength and mobility, I do want to lose some weight. I won't be able to do that as fast as I'd like without some cardio. The thought of mindlessly jogging on a treadmill is terrifying, lol. Bike isn't as bad. Stair stepper is ok too. I need to find some more creative ways to get some significant cardio in.

I don't mind the smart trainer with my road bike. I have used the Zwift app/service, and the training routines and social aspects can somewhat keep my interest. Now things like skate skiing are far more appealing. We're a few weeks away from our in-town trail networks to have enough snow base for regular grooming. I have a blast trying to keep up with the attractive and uber fit young women who are always there. That's good motivation for me. ;)

In the winter it's actually easier for me to get my workouts in 5+ days a week. Summers are super busy for us entertaining at our cabin almost every weekend. Between golf, daily walks outside, water/boating activities, and all three kids living at home(two are now away at college) it's harder to find time for the weightroom or serious cardio. The last two weeks I've either hit the weightroom or the Peloton each day as I have a lot more freetime. I haven't lost any weight bu I'm already feeling more energy and have noticed that the cardio workouts result in super sound sleep and a reduced heart rate.

In the winter it's actually easier for me to get my workouts in 5+ days a week. Summers are super busy for us entertaining at our cabin almost every weekend. Between golf, daily walks outside, water/boating activities, and all three kids living at home(two are now away at college) it's harder to find time for the weightroom or serious cardio. The last two weeks I've either hit the weightroom or the Peloton each day as I have a lot more freetime. I haven't lost any weight bu I'm already feeling more energy and have noticed that the cardio workouts result in super sound sleep and a reduced heart rate.
Peloton is really appealing. But, I just can't commit to the price. Knowing me, it's one of those things I use for a month before ignoring it sitting in the corner staring at me, lol. I have found that I just have to leave the house to keep my motivation up and cut out all distractions.

Peloton is really appealing. But, I just can't commit to the price. Knowing me, it's one of those things I use for a month before ignoring it sitting in the corner staring at me, lol. I have found that I just have to leave the house to keep my motivation up and cut out all distractions.

I'm not a huge fan of the big gyms like Lifetime and the previous owner already had a workout room in the home we bought three years ago. Rather than pay $170 a month for a family gym membership we investing in some workout equipment. The Peloton is damn expensive but I was already a pretty avid cyclist so the price was easier to swallow since I was conditioned by paying big bucks for things like cycling shoes, pedals, wheels, etc. My wife and oldest daughter use the Peloton as well so that makes the $39/month a pretty good deal. Silly things like brakes on the car in September($1,100) and a dishwasher last week($950) seem to be popping up all the time so a few thousand for exercise equipment is a fun spend in comparison. :) If you're not a cyclist or runner I'm guessing you are correct that a Peloton might not be a wise investment. A rowing machine can be had for under $300 and is a better overall workout IMO.

I always go through spurts. I'll workout for 3-4 weeks straight, then something will come up and I take a break for a few weeks then start all over again.

I'm not a huge fan of the big gyms like Lifetime and the previous owner already had a workout room in the home we bought three years ago. Rather than pay $170 a month for a family gym membership we investing in some workout equipment. The Peloton is damn expensive but I was already a pretty avid cyclist so the price was easier to swallow since I was conditioned by paying big bucks for things like cycling shoes, pedals, wheels, etc. My wife and oldest daughter use the Peloton as well so that makes the $39/month a pretty good deal. Silly things like brakes on the car in September($1,100) and a dishwasher last week($950) seem to be popping up all the time so a few thousand for exercise equipment is a fun spend in comparison. :)
Haha, yeah, that is a lot better buy.

I always go through spurts. I'll workout for 3-4 weeks straight, then something will come up and I take a break for a few weeks then start all over again.
That sounds like something I go through too. The second I take an extra day because I don't feel like going, it's almost like having to reboot and start the motivation process all over again.

Motivation? I want to remain in size 34 waist pants.

Back