What Muscles Are Used To Rotate The Pelvis In The Golf Swing?

Watching, I'm reminded that there's nothing new under the sun....

Wouldn't it be ironic that with all our technology we end up in 100 years time finding the truth to the golf swing was found back in the 1950's.:)

If I interpreted the video correctly , those fundamentals were essential for creating 'rhythm'.

Wouldn't it be ironic that with all our technology we end up in 100 years time finding the truth to the golf swing was found back in the 1950's.:)

If I interpreted the video correctly , those fundamentals were essential for creating 'rhythm'.
Being a bit of a golf historian from a golf swing perspective, Abe Mitchell's publications 'Essentials of Golf' and 'Down to Scratch' describe the same fundamentals in today's athletic swing. The only difference is that they were written for the equipment of the 1930's which was suited to clubhead lag in the first half of the backswing with a fling of the clubhead to the top. He intimately describes a hip swing with a dip of the body in transition to an upwards hip thrust into impact. He spent a couple of chapters on the correct wrist work and forearm rotation which has a shut position at the top and even describes how to flatten the club during transition by trying to touch the left elbow with the right elbow in the change of direction.

I'll be doing off-season work with True Motion, but I will say this: Just from this thread and the early extension thread, I believe I've already improved my swing greatly. As they say: "Feels ain't reals," but, when I hit balls yesterday to create my evaluation videos: Out of the two dozen of so swings I took I hit only a couple thin and maybe two or three slices. The rest all went where I was aiming and most with similar elevation (near as I could tell for as far as they were allowed to fly--which wasn't far.) Zero chunks.

This was after not having swung a club for six weeks or more.

I still have plenty to fix. I could see that for myself in reviewing my videos. But my swing and ball hitting are definitely much better than they were.

Hit a couple dozen balls off the mat in the backyard today. (Didn't have enough ambition to get to the range and didn't feel like hitting a whole bucket, anyway.) The inside session I did day-before-yesterday confirmed: I'm hitting at least my 7i, off a mat, better and more consistently than ever before. Out of a couple dozen balls or so: Two ground balls and two slices. Had a few that didn't get the distance I'd like, but had many more that launched nicely. Had several strong draws, which is new for me.

I've not hit a ball with a full swing since Oct 2019 although I still do some chipping in my corridor. It's a shame that I cannot replicate what I personally think is the more optimal pelvic movement (that most pga pros do) because I'm just not flexible enough (ie. I have zero hula-hula which means zero pelvic/torso separation capability) . I tried practicing the pelvic movement indoors and my back was really sore for over a week on the right side where I attempted lateral flexion. I think I may have to convert to a half hearted arm swing type style when/if this pandemic subsides in the UK and I get the vaccine. Maybe I should try a swing (just like in that old video I posted) where the older good golfer did a half swing concentrating on a bit more wrist cock , generating arm speed using mainly his shoulder girdle muscles and some lower/upper body pivot rotation . I think accuracy does become more important than distance as you get older and gradually lose your fast twitch muscle fibres.

Just thought I'd add this video by Russell Heritage as he seems to have worked our the correct way to move the pelvis . Although he doesn't explain the biomechanics involved (unlike Dr Jeff Mann), he is an instructor and provides a 2 chair drill near the end of the video which will help ingrain the move. He says its transformed his own game and many other thousands of golfers.

Back