what part of your game are you working on?

Right now, mine is the irons. I drive well and have a pretty good short game but my second shot is killing me.

my driver is mis behaving at the moment.

I'm working on keeping my head behind the ball and making a full finish.

I just went through some of the flyovers for the Champions course in Florida. I am going to have to learn to keep away from water otherwise i will be scoring 150+ on the course.

A bit of a break thru last weekend...Generally I drive it okay, struggle with the middle irons. So my focus has been on a nice controlled back swing, setting my wrists and snapping my swing thru impact. After a good, straight drive on #1, I hit 9-iron into the green, about 25 feet, so I'm thinking, "Good start"...Next hole has a couple of creek crossings so I lay up with a 7 wood, hit another good iron, a 7, to just right of the green. Then a par 3 which I hit pin-high, just left...Finally a round where the irons are doing what I want!

Well I go to #4, a par 5, and proceed to hit the biggest slice I've seen in about 5 years. It would have made the fairway on #2 if not for one of the previously mentioned creeks!

To make a long story, shorter, this pattern continued thru #9. At the turn we grabbed a bite to eat and I thought I'm going to have to make a commitment to keeping the driver on a flatter plane if I want to end this slice. It actually worked...I didn't hit any great drives, but kept it in play, continued to strike my irons well and came from 3 down to up 3 by the time we finished 15 and held on to best my playing partners...

So the focus this weekend will be to keep the driver flat and the irons up & down...We'll see.

+1 what Gray Golf said.
<"I am making a major swing plane change">, I just finished a lesson. <"The main item I am focusing on now is keeping the top of my right hand facing up while striking down and through the ball."> Not main for me but part of...leg work, dropping rt shoulder & coming down the target line with arms, trying to stop comin over the top..Goin ta be a long haul..pro said maybe not to play for a couple of weeks & work on drills & swing..

i have got to really really really start practicing on hitting off of hard pan...
i was in the "fairway/hard pan" all day... really easy shots into greens from 150 in...
ill catch the ground not even an inch behind the ball... the bounce of my mid to short irons would ricochet off the ground and end up topping the crap out of all my approach shots...
so basically i had to change my entire swing from digger to sweeper... and i really suck at sweeping the ball

I hear ya Bogey_russ. Three or four years ago when I really figured out what kind of swing it took to hit a good drive, I mean a nice mid-high draw that would fly all day...I started skip-topping all sorts of shots. Especially when I was tired. Playing a couple of 36 hole days will show you where your weaknesses are. Everything you do wrong gets even worse........fast.

Well, last year I started getting the feel for hitting irons. In my mind I exaggerate the wrist cock and make sure to turn it over thru impact. This has been giving me the most consistent ball-striking iron shots of my life. High, good distance and straight or a slight fade. When I want to hit them a little farther I do little forward press and try to de-loft the club...A couple of times this has even resulted in a true pinch effect giving me beautiful flight and a dead stop spin. Not often, but it happened....really.

Now if I can just keep that iron play and get the driver working too. Tomorrow is a short course, so driving distance won't matter. But it is a course you want to be in the fairway on...We'll see.

I'm working on starting my downswing with my lower body. This is going to take a while.

ive picked up a slice with my driver (went from my stiff flex to a regular flex)
and im trying to work that out... having trouble keeping the clubhead square thru impact...
if only my stiff didnt die (i somehow put a hairline crack in it and it has no more pop)

all its gonna take me is a few dozen swings to get the feel back or im just going to deliberately hit hooks then tone it down till i start hitting decent draws

Really have started to rework my swing. Starting with the takeaway. I break my wrists and come way inside so I"m working on that first. Think I've got that pretty good right now and so the next step will be getting to the top of my backswing with out coming OTT. That is going to be difficult.

tempo... tempo... tempo

Heading out shortly to play 18 and I have one thing in mind for todays round, no big holes. If I can get rid of the blow up holes I know I can break 90.

Heading out shortly to play 18 and I have one thing in mind for todays round, no big holes. If I can get rid of the blow up holes I know I can break 90.

go out an have fun... you'll break 90 with no prob!

what part of your game are you working on?

Good luck OEM! Want to see your name in the break 90 thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i really need to work on the mental aspect of my game... its killing me... too many swing thoughts...
especially when i play with/against my brothers...
with my brothers my score is 100+
the very day after they leave my score is mid low 80's

putting.....

I would have to say my basic swing, and distances with each iron. I am also working on my 60 degree Lob Wedge around the green whenever I can.

staying consistant off the tee.

Working hard on my short game, 75yds into the hole, and thanks to my friend tcalloway1 and some tips he gave me, I am getting much better and more confident. Thanks TC!!

Last edited:
All of it, hehe.

Same here! I need to work on all of it especially my short game right now. That is what killed me yesterday. I also need to work on the mental aspect of it.

Yesterday at the range before our round I was hitting my driver and the guy behind me asked if I was a softball player. I have never played sports in my life so I kindly said no. He told me it looks like I am swigning a baseball bat. Not only was I incredibly insulted but I have always been told by my instructors and friends that my swing is technically sound. I was making everyone look at me swing to tell me if it looked like I was swinging a baseball bat and everyone said NO, it looked like I was hitting a driver with a technically sound swing. But for some reason that guy got into my head and I couldn't hit a single shot after that. I don't think I have ever even swung a bat before in my life haha. Anyway, the moral of my long story is that I need to not let those kinds of things get into my head. Just like hitting a bad shot, I can't all of a sudden assume my next shot will be bad too. I have to work on the mental, confidence, side of my game a lot too.

Same here! I need to work on all of it especially my short game right now. That is what killed me yesterday. I also need to work on the mental aspect of it.

Yesterday at the range before our round I was hitting my driver and the guy behind me asked if I was a softball player. I have never played sports in my life so I kindly said no. He told me it looks like I am swigning a baseball bat. Not only was I incredibly insulted but I have always been told by my instructors and friends that my swing is technically sound. I was making everyone look at me swing to tell me if it looked like I was swinging a baseball bat and everyone said NO, it looked like I was hitting a driver with a technically sound swing. But for some reason that guy got into my head and I couldn't hit a single shot after that. I don't think I have ever even swung a bat before in my life haha. Anyway, the moral of my long story is that I need to not let those kinds of things get into my head. Just like hitting a bad shot, I can't all of a sudden assume my next shot will be bad too. I have to work on the mental, confidence, side of my game a lot too.

Stupid guy. Why can't people keep their mouths shut?

Stupid guy. Why can't people keep their mouths shut?

I have no idea! I am so self conscious of my swing now, but everyone has assured me it looks normal. I just think it's funny because I have never even picked up a baseball bat before so I wouldn't know how to swing it if i tried haha.

That guy is a jerk-off. I always love "give lessons to strangers on a range guy".

Back