what part of your game are you working on?

Good point. I watched this youtube video today of the worst swings in golf and it was mostly guys from the older eras. They still got the ball out there though. I'm just happy to be moving the ball right/left with some consistency. The fade is a distance killer for me and I don't have the yards to give up.

No matter what I try, I can't for the life of me hit a driver without a slice. I feel like I have been slowly reducing the power fade but I have tried every drill out there to not slice it and it just won't go away. This will be my focus next # of range sessions.

Good point. I watched this youtube video today of the worst swings in golf and it was mostly guys from the older eras. They still got the ball out there though. I'm just happy to be moving the ball right/left with some consistency. The fade is a distance killer for me and I don't have the yards to give up.

That's funny, cause I'd love to play a fade reliably. I can maybe turn the ball left to right once or twice a round if I'm lucky.

No matter what I try, I can't for the life of me hit a driver without a slice. I feel like I have been slowly reducing the power fade but I have tried every drill out there to not slice it and it just won't go away. This will be my focus next # of range sessions.

You can play that fade though, jj. It's a hard one to kick, but you seem to do well with it.

That's funny, cause I'd love to play a fade reliably. I can maybe turn the ball left to right once or twice a round if I'm lucky.

I think it's different if you already hit the ball far because the fade is easier to control. For me, it equals short though. The difference between a the two is sometimes 40 yards for me.

Jrod, next time we play together I'm going to show you a sweet pull hook or two that will give you the heeby-jeebies.

Jrod, next time we play together I'm going to show you a sweet pull hook or two that will give you the heeby-jeebies.

Nice. I can do that as well especially with a Mashie.

I thought I almost killed those guys on the next tee box.

I think it's different if you already hit the ball far because the fade is easier to control. For me, it equals short though. The difference between a the two is sometimes 40 yards for me.

Oh it won't go as far since my fade's more of a hold off fade and not the released fade. It'll lose like 20yds but it's not a snap hook. Last round, I snapped it 6 times. It was so painful and frustrating. I need to figure out how to hit a released fade so it still goes with some oomph but doesn't go left. If I can get that down, I'm pretty sure I can drop some strokes with some more ease.

I know what you are talking about. Jrod's fade and my fade are two different things. Mine is coated in glitter and floats to the ground while his seems to rocket off with just a little movement.

Yep, I need the JRod fade. I've done it from time to time and it got me off the draw crack immediately. I just don't know how I did it haha

Nice. I can do that as well especially with a Mashie.

I thought I almost killed those guys on the next tee box.

Does this occur with all mashie's or just the pre-2012 ones? I was told I needed to hit the 2012's as they sorted out their super hooker issues!

He's a hooker at heart and it hooks, but he was also using my 59S shaft, which is the complete opposite of what normally would play.

Dude, it's so funky and ugly. I have a hitch in my backswing that I can't really stop. I want to hide in shame. I'm just trying to keep my right knee flexed a bit, which helps me, but it's still a challenge.
im crossing my fingers cuz i hope i never develop a hitch
you might need to tee up a dozen balls in a row and just fire away down the whole line... rinse lather repeat... hopefully it ditches the hitches
pizza box drill! youll be hooking in no time with the pizza box drill

well took a video of my swing on a par three yesterday and saw that i am back laid off again but somehow still managed to hit the ball with a nice flight. will be back to more up against the wall drills to get club back upright.

Getting up and down from 100 yards and in.

i havnt been playing long but it seems to me like you have to work on your whole game. because when you work on your weaknesses they become your strengths then you strengths have become your weaknesses. so you have to start all over again.

Seeing a little progress with avoiding the over-turn. It's a freaking hard habit to break, but it's coming along. When I'm able to keep it compact I'm hitting the ball the same distance, but with more consistency. It's the biggest cause of my slide/sway and keeps me from getting through the ball. Still some work to do, but it's finally getting better.

I am back to working on the short game. After my last round I gave away too many strokes on bad chips, miss hit chips, poorly aimed wedges shots and overall bad wedge play. I have been so focused on tee shots and those have improved, I am taking so many less penalty strokes off the tee because I am playing smarter and getting the ball in play.

I need to go back to my dedication of practicing the short game because when I do that I shot my lowest scores. Since I have been in better places on the course fairways and short rough the shots from 100 and in are now costing me strokes when before I could rely on those to help me. Back to refocusing and PRACTICE PRACTICE!

I need to go back to my dedication of practicing the short game because when I do that I shot my lowest scores. Since I have been in better places on the course fairways and short rough the shots from 100 and in are now costing me strokes when before I could rely on those to help me. Back to refocusing and PRACTICE PRACTICE!

I think you're moving in the right direction. All too often when I'm at the range I see guys that are hitting 9/10ths of a their balls with the driver and spending very little time on their irons. We all want to hit the long ball, but a driver won't win you anything except some long drive contests. The short game is where the winners win. If you've ever had the chance to watch a college player practice you'll notice that they will usually only hit a few woods. Unless they're working on something specific, otherwise it's the irons that get the most work.

Which stat would you want to improve, Fairways Hit or GIR? I know which one I'd pick.

Last edited:
I've been working on weight transfer and not getting stuck behind the ball and today it really clicked. I was getting great weight transfer and saw very few fat shots with the irons. I could feel myself on some shots working hard on my front foot to not lose my balance and fall forward. I tweaked my stance a little and now feel more balanced at address which has allowed me to have better weight transfer. The key will be if I can put it together on the course in a couple days.

Nothing. Clubs go into the storage room for at least a month.

today might have been the biggest breakthrough ever in my game ... i hope at least dont want to get too excited

so i decided to switch coaches and today was my first lesson with the new one. previously i had been concerned alot with my backswing(thats what previous instructor had me focused on) and was just not consistent in ball striking with the majority of my misses being topped shots . My new instructor is Marty Fleckman who is a Jim Hardy one plane guy .he asked what i had been working on with previous instructor and i told him about club position at the top . he had me hit shots with 8i,6i,5w, and driver and then said he loved my position at the top and liked where the club was at. right away he noticed my right hip firing into the ball which he said shallows me out and causes the topped shots so he had me work on some lower body things that really seemed to help. he also said i kept the club going down the target line to much instead of swinging left with it. working on those two things i was able to hit some nice shots today with all clubs. where as before i would just hit 8i the entire lesson or 6i. we went all through the bag and i was even able to hit the 5w great which since owning it has never happened. i will be working on the lower body and downwing stuff and seein him again soon . hopefully this was the start of good things to come

I am going to devote myself to ball striking for the next few months...when I played yesterday in the Member skins game my cart partner just stripped his irons and wedges and they all made a great clicking sound because he hit everything flush.

I don't get that sound all the time...,.something I really need to work on.

I'm working on my back foot staying planted a bit more during the downswing

Jrod got to see the extremely embarrassing hitch live in person this weekend ugh. I actually forced it to stop out of shame by the ninth hole, but it was replaced by a wicked case of the hooks. Probably will hit the range on Wednesday, but I'm sort of apathetic about the whole thing right now. I was hitting the ball fine last week, so no rush or worry.

Back