what part of your game are you working on?

Full swing. Trying to stand a little more upright and closer to the ball. Also, straight back take away using more shoulder turn. I get to armsy sometimes.

I know I'd rather my miss be left. I hate the right side of the golf course.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

I really only miss left. I've taken the right side of the course out of play. Getting the chest through is really helping with that.

I want to work on the point of contact and my weight shift. Really fighting the turn and I'm getting lazy and I end up swaying. Actually I had a question for Jake about the Orange Peel

For me right now, I am working on ball striking. I have been working all season and I am getting better, much. But I am still finding that when I get out on the course, my old swing keeps surfacing far too much for my liking. I have a mat and net in the backyard and after a 30 ball session with my 6 iron, the face looks like this.
SrpNA0
Here's the link if the picture is not showing up http://sdrv.ms/SrpNA0. So my ball striking is coming around, but I am having a hell of a time getting it transferred to the course. Range sessions are kind of mixed bag, but getting better too. I know that it is all between my ears, I know how I need to hit the ball, when I get it right, I am crushing it. Its just a matter of getting the old swing suppressed.

I put some serious putting time in at the practice green tonight.

Mainly I am working on a smooth stroke, and removing my hands altogether. I tried a few tips as well..

1 - After eyeing the line and bringing your head back to the ball you've already set up to, don't actually look at the ball. Look at something directly in front of the ball
>> I didn't find this helpful really..

2 - at certain distances, consider the distance taken back in the stroke (example for 10 footers, take back even with the right leg)
>> This actually did help a bit. I haven't been taking the putter back that far so it's nice to have a bit of an aid.

3 - I switched back to the left hand pointer over the right hand rather than the right hand over and pointer downward
>> I thought this was another really positive change and I'm not sure why I bothered switching away from this in the first place.

4 - The three foot drill. Six balls, putt from the same spot. Any ball that misses the hole has to be moved away from the hole an entire club length.
>> I really like this drill. No more tap ins, this really allows you to focus on the tougher putts that often make or break strong scores.

That's about it. really pleased with the results.

I need to work on my driving, specifically tee shots with my 3 wood. It has really let me down lately.

I'm working on my chipping. I've always preferred to fly the ball closer to the hole and I'm wanting to bump and run it more to see how it works for me.

That is the way I've always chipped. I always try to fly it most of the way there with some spin and get it to check up close to the pin. The only problem is the ones that don't want to check. I've always been told a bump and run is better, especially on closer chips, but I just can't ever figure out what club to use or how hard to hit it. I've never taken the time to get that shot down.

The one problem I'm having now, and it's been going on for quite some time now, is putting. I can't seem to putt worth a crap lately. It's either I've got the line perfectly and I just leave it short or I'm just way off on everything. My confidence on the short putts is lacking as well. Every time I get over a putt that is 5 foot or in, I have no idea if I'm going to make it or not. I used to be pretty confident in those, but as many as I've missed recently has caused me to lose every bit of confidence I had.

Everything! But trying to improve fairways and GIR rate. Short game is ok lately. Had a good day at the range today and discovered some improvements in alignment and tempo. Hope I can take it to the course tommorow!

Plane.

Was getting far too behind myself on the takeaway. Now keeping the club more in front of my chest as I turn and getting the club much more on plane back and on the downswing.

Now need to release better as I'm coming at the ball much more from the inside and hitting a bit of a block or push. Cleaner strike and more distance even on the blocks which is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put some serious putting time in at the practice green tonight.

Mainly I am working on a smooth stroke, and removing my hands altogether. I tried a few tips as well..

1 - After eyeing the line and bringing your head back to the ball you've already set up to, don't actually look at the ball. Look at something directly in front of the ball
>> I didn't find this helpful really..

2 - at certain distances, consider the distance taken back in the stroke (example for 10 footers, take back even with the right leg)
>> This actually did help a bit. I haven't been taking the putter back that far so it's nice to have a bit of an aid.

3 - I switched back to the left hand pointer over the right hand rather than the right hand over and pointer downward
>> I thought this was another really positive change and I'm not sure why I bothered switching away from this in the first place.

4 - The three foot drill. Six balls, putt from the same spot. Any ball that misses the hole has to be moved away from the hole an entire club length.
>> I really like this drill. No more tap ins, this really allows you to focus on the tougher putts that often make or break strong scores.

That's about it. really pleased with the results.

I feel kind of strange quoting myself, but my efforts on the putting green today are forcing my hand.

I was putting, for my standards, completely out of my head today. I played 9 holes this morning with only 13 putts, including two straight putts, one for birdie from 20 feet, and one from probably 40 feet to close out the nine. Then I played in a scramble in the afternoon, and nailed some really impressive putts. benders from 10-30 feet, putting last for my group and walking off no less than 8 holes where my putt was big and counted.

I just can't say enough good things about the strategies I utilized above to better my stroke, and to have THAT much of an impact between one day is mind 'bottling' to me.

Practice your short game. And enjoy the results.

I really need to work on my putting. Its the only thing that's holding me back. I have been driving the ball well and approach shots have been the best they have ever been since I have started playing. Now if I get that putter figured out there is no telling where I could go.

Seriously. Tappin'.

I really need to work on my putting. Its the only thing that's holding me back. I have been driving the ball well and approach shots have been the best they have ever been since I have started playing. Now if I get that putter figured out there is no telling where I could go.

I thought we had that part covered? heh

Full swing - 1) trying to create a proper pivot, i.e., starting the downswing with my legs/hips and having that movement bring the upper body along; and 2) straightening my left leg at impact in order prevent swaying forward (which is the root cause of so many of my mishits)

Short game - getting distance control with my lob wedge through a combination of moving my hands down the grip towards the shaft and having reference points of (approximately) 4:30, 3:00, and 1:30. The combination helps me dial in shorter distances and still keep the club head accelerating.

This is the first year I've changed my practice routine to always have a short game component in my range sessions. Every. Single. Time.

My weight shifting translated into a REALLY solid round of golf yesterday. Looking to play again tomorrow.
what did you shoot?

im working on lag lag lag/ release release release
when i have lag i have no release
lots of things going on in my swing right now
tilt
hips
plane
etc etc

Seeing as I almost never get to the range, I am working on all on-course stuff right now like course management and basically just figuring out how to go low and shoot good scores even if I don't have my best stuff out there. I think that's going to be huge for me as it comes along and it's already starting to I believe. I limped around the course today in 86. I want to get to the point where my bad rounds are all at around 85. That way hopefully my good rounds can be really good (for me).

And course management. Next time out I'm going to make the smart play every time and see how I score.

Chutting! No just kidding. After this weekend I need to put in some major time at the range on my chipping. I was horrible this weekend and cost myself too many strokes around the green. I have no confidence when I get over a chip for the distance or roll I am going to get and need to work that out to take the next step in improving my game.

I never thought of myself as inaccurate off the tee until I actually kept track. 6/14 drives finding the fairway makes it tough to go low. Going forward this is my new focus as well as proximity to hole on my GIR

Working on a consistent swing each time. Since a recent swing change I am feeling more confident and relaxed over the ball. Now have to try and keep the bad shots from escalating I to bad holes.

Hate to say it, but I feel like my season is winding down. I'll be golfing for at least a couple more months, but it sort of has a different tone as fall starts to take hold. Wind, cold, worse course condtions, etc, make it a different game.

Regardless, still have a few things I want to accomplish. I have a swing that I like and I know works. The problem is doing it every time or even every round. Sometimes it takes me a few holes to get into it. Other times I have it for the first 6-7 holes and it goes away. Would like to work on a little consistency still.

Other item is short game swing. It's regressed a little due to a lack of practice.

im working on keeping everything ive built up this past season and carrying it over to next season...
im also working on keeping distance gains... the farther the better as long as its still straight

Chipping. Chipping. And more chipping.

I need to work on the game as a whole. I was making progress but the move & traveling put a crunch on my practice time. Luckily, I work with a guy that was a teaching pro & notched some decent tour finishes. He's offered to help me, just to get out of the house a little for free. We just need to set up some time.
I need to get my club head squared up at impact & still fight being to fast & trying to kill it. I played decently yesterday, when I slowed down.

I'm working on consistent ball striking with my irons I seem to have lost with all the focus on trying to fix my banana slice I had with my driver. Driver's behaving now, but mis-hitting too many iron shots I shouldn't be. That and chipping...lots of chipping.

currently working on distance control of my wedges from within 100 yards. I can hit the green about 90% but want to get close to the pin within 15 feet. And also on putting outside of 25 feet the speed especially.

Back