What piece of gear changed the way you play?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have a piece of gear that changed the way you play the game?

A shaft that straightened things out for you?
A putter that could only find the bottom of the hole?
A driver that launched absolute bombs?

What you got out?

Callaway PM Grind 58° wedge. Made my short game so much better.

Ping glide wedges transformed my game from 85 in from a wekness into a strength

In my own bag, my XR16 driver was taken to the next level with a shaft change.

Coupled with the UST Mamiya Elements Helium driver shaft that I won from THP (a THP custom graphic shaft), and I don't think I have ever hit a driver so well in my life.

I honestly believe that I would still be struggling keeping the ball in the fairway had I not had that UST shaft come my way.

Triple Track putter. Made more long putts this year than ever before.

Ventus Blue S Driver shaft, so consistent.

In my own bag, my XR16 driver was taken to the next level with a shaft change.

Coupled with the UST Mamiya Elements Helium driver shaft that I won from THP (a THP custom graphic shaft), and I don't think I have ever hit a driver so well in my life.

I honestly believe that I would still be struggling keeping the ball in the fairway had I not had that UST shaft come my way.
These experiences, coupled with my limited testing, are convincing me more and more than a comprehensive driver fitting would be a wise investment.

I don't have it anymore, but it was my old Titleist 913 D2 driver. It opened up my world to 'new' golf gear and the idea of fitted equipment. From there I was granted access to the enormous selection of custom golf gear and I haven't looked back. Knowing that I can get a shaft to work with my swing, or a sole grind to help with turf conditions was absolutely mind changing for me.

These experiences, coupled with my limited testing, are convincing me more and more than a comprehensive driver fitting would be a wise investment.

The funny thing is, I wasn't fit at all for this head/shaft combo. I stumbled into a setup that has worked great for me for years (so much so that I am hesitant to move on from it).

switched from CB to HB Launcher(non Turbo) Irons, shafts too from 6R to 5R, better control

Last edited:
The funny thing is, I wasn't fit at all for this head/shaft combo. I stumbled into a setup that has worked great for me for years (so much so that I am hesitant to move on from it).
I know, and the current setup that has served me so well was a result of testing four shafts. Makes me think if we’ve done this well with a blind squirrel type of approach, how much better could the results be from a really systematic fitting?

Titleist ProV1

I got to be honest I have been absolutely crushing my B21 Driver. It's a game changer for me. I have never been able to hit a draw driver because they always launched to high and I got no distance. This one with the lowish spin is just perfect for helping with my slice. It allows me to really go after the ball when I swing now.

Adding a SeeMore putter to the bag. Most amateurs can lower their scores faster with more work on and around the greens. For me, SPi and RST have helped me be more consistent on the greens. Dropping more putts always lowers the scores. It helps build confidence too. There isn't a putt I stand over, that I don't think I will make.

A low spin golf ball. I hit 40 yard hooks on the regular! Not easy. It was a fun scramble trick tho!!

G410 plus driver. Was always ok with the driver, but could never get much height. Then along comes the Ping. Good height, probably another 20 yards and I’m brimming in confidence with it. The last round before Xmas, my FIR was 91%. I don’t think I’ve ever had any other piece of equipment that’s had such an effect on my game.

The Ping G25 driver started a run of great driving for me. Since then, I’ve had some great runs with Ping drivers. They always have that soft spot for me.

Also, gaming the correct bounce and grind on my wedges has significantly helped me around the greens.

Getting fitted for PXG 0211s with Accra shafts at an inch long has been a game changer-so please d got a hybrid and driver as well. The driver making most difference- killing it with a nice draw. I was a fine player but lost length after injuries and aging and have a lot back.

Hybrids, allowed me to get distances in between the 3-wood and longest irons I was able to hit.

Smart sole 56, used to lay up short of greens I was that nervous about bunker shots, now I go for them, because I have confidence I would get out of one if I go in!

The TM M2 driver changed my game as being the most consistently solid driver I can remember playing. Always feels good

Biggest change for me was my Recoil Protos. By all rights I should be in a regular flex shaft but, these F4s just outright work for my slow swing speed. 🥰

Back