What Promts you to Change balls?

Greenside performance is usually my biggest reason.

Son gets free balls....I take what he gives. Last batch was 6 dozen Pro V's.....

I will always try a new ball that comes out but i have been really happy with the prov1x and always go back.

Haha one thing that made me change to Wilson Staff Duo that really shouldn't have played into my decision: I want to be the only person in my group (or even on the course) playing that brand of ball. If the course is crowded, I don't want to be playing a Titleist and have someone picking it up or playing it whether it's accidental or on purpose. I could tell that saved me several times this weekend when people were hitting into our fairway. Had it been a more popular brand and not have the red/black WS shield on it, I say quiet a few of mine would have been "accidentally" played by people coming into my fairway if their partner wouldn't have noticed.

My ball changes when I come to a water hazard. I'll use a shag ball to get over it then switch back. Yes, I k now it's against the rules. I don't care. Don't @ me. I don't play competitively. I don't keep a handicap. If I ever do, then I'll stop.:ROFLMAO:

I change balls when I lose one (which happens a lot)... I'll grab one out of the cart or bag and go. I try to keep to the same ones I'm playing but when those are gone, it's fair game for whatever's in my bag.:LOL:

Usually curiosity, when a new ball comes out that I think might be a good fit for me.

I got selected years ago to test some Bridgestone balls and really enjoyed them. Not many people here play the B so I like doing things a little different and it makes it easy to know which is mine. Plus I still think they are a fantastic golf ball.

price deal - generally bounce between Pro V1x and Z Stars. Changed from QST last year after swing got better and wanted more greenside spin. Maybe it was the right choice.

Curiosity and price for me. My go to gamer has been the Z-Star XV. I bought a few dozen of last year's model TP5X that were on sale. I don't think I'm a fan. I also picked up a couple dozen of an old favorite last week (Callaway SuperSoft). I love how it feels of irons and the driver but the lack of greenside spin keeps me from sticking with it.

Walmart had last year's Z-Stars on sale for 24.99 last week and I grabbed 4 dozen. I think they might be a better fit for me than the XV version, so I'll stick with those for a minute. To be honest, the Q-Star Tour is probably the better ball for my game (and budget) so that may end up being my go to once I burn through what's in the bull pen, right now (which won't be long at the state of my current game :cry:).

I’ve been playing the MTB red, then the replacement MTBx for the last 3 years or so. Changes have been enforced when Snell has run into stock issues. The last enforced change saw me using a Pro V1x, which I really liked, but I didn’t really see any advantages over my usual Snell, certainly not nearly double the price advantages.

Splash!

Price. I ventured into the CS family and really enjoyed them, but I lose balls way too often to be playing a $48-50/dozen golf ball. I joked with my brother after my disastrous first 9 holes that my $18 round of golf was really $45 round of golf due to the lost balls (@ $3 a pop). I'm hoping the lost ball rate drops enough that I can justify the $30-35/dozen range, but might have to drop back to $20/dozen if I keep playing terribly.

I rarely change balls. Been playing ProVs since the early 2000s. I did switch to Titleist AVX for a short time during winter months, but I am back to primarily ProV1 or 1x, depending on the weather conditions of the day. Was fit for ProV1, but REALLY like the new, 2021 ProV1x.

As far as when I change brands? Nope. Not gonna happen.

I had been playing the Srixon AD333 but decided to switch to Snell MTB Black last year because I got better and stopped losing 4 or 5 balls every round and wanted a bit more spin around the greens. Will probably stick with the MTB Black for a while.

I get balls from sales reps at work and will try them to have an idea of performance so I can speak to clients about them. I change balls for normal rounds based on staff arrangement for the season.

I’ll change only after noticing a glaring performance issue that consistently occurs (or lackthereof) over the course of a handful of rounds.

My last big change was from the AVX to the Chrome Soft. Loved everything about the AVX except for the lack of greenside spin. It became obvious every round that I was losing strokes because of it. So made the switch to the Chrome Soft and haven’t turned back. Love everything about it - best all around ball for my game I’ve played.

As I have gotten better I have looked at better balls.
Like someone else said losing 4-7 balls a round gets expensive if they are ProVs.
Now that I'm losing only 1 or 2 usually I'll play a CS or the new Srixxon.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

At my skill level all the top quality brand name balls (Titleist, TM, Callaway, Srixon) seem to provide me very similar shot results and the same 18 hole scoring average.
For Tour player skill level I believe the ball can actually produce a significant difference to shot making, scoring.

I used to play the XV exclusively for a long while and was very happy with it.

But then in 2018 I put some old stock Taylormade TP Red LDP balls back into play. I bought a bunch used 8 or so years prior, liked them then but obviously not enough to stick with 'em.

2018 was a different story, played the back 9 with one in June of that year and it just instantly clicked. I intuitively knew what to expect from it off wedges and pitches, loved how it putted and it was extremely stable off the tee. Found myself just going after it more comfortably, confidently.

Week or so later in my first full round with it, I shattered my previous PB by 5 strokes. From there, I rode a wave of my best golf until hurting my back a few months later in October.

Ever since, I've been on a quest to find that similar intuitive connection to a ball. Some were close, many way off the mark. Finally, a ball that I long avoided proved to be the one...

2021 ProV1.

It's not at all the same ball as the TP Red LDP as it flies a bit lower and spins more around the greens. But for whatever reason, I just intuitively jibe with it in similar fashion.

So my incredibly long ramble is to say that there's nothing scientific toward my desire to change/find a new ball. It's all about what feels right.

In the cosmic sense, rather than anything physical. FEEEEEEL, ya dig??

Back