What regional and Obscure Musicians do You Stream?

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
Being in Austin, I get to hear a lot of more obscure artists and have built some good playlists on Pandora. Being isolated, and streaming every day, I am growing tired of the same old play lists though. So who do you have from your playlists that are non-mainstream? What is their style?

Here are a few in Austin I like:
Vallejo (Indie Rock)
Bob Schneider (formerly lead of Ugly Americans): more indie rock with Ugly Americans, but pretty eclectic stuff on his own
Gary Clark, Jr (blues)
Cory Morrow (Texas Country - and for the record, I cannot stand Nashville country).

The White Buffalo - I'm addicted to this guys sound. Mix motorcycle gang, country, blues and rock together.

Being in Austin, I get to hear a lot of more obscure artists and have built some good playlists on Pandora. Being isolated, and streaming every day, I am growing tired of the same old play lists though. So who do you have from your playlists that are non-mainstream? What is their style?

Vallejo (Indie Rock)
Bob Schneider (formerly lead of Ugly Americans): more indie rock with Ugly Americans, but pretty eclectic stuff on his own
Gary Clark, Jr (blues)
Cory Morrow (Texas Country - and for the record, I cannot stand Nashville country).

Gary Clark Jr is heavy in my rotation. Great stuff.

I've become recently enamored with The Mona Lisa Twins. They have mostly done Beatles covers, but their originals (also Beatles-esque) are outstanding. Beautiful voices, and their harmonies are chills-inspiring.

Redd Volkaert (Country), from Austin
Nena Anderson (Americana)

Some rockabilly artists:
Cash'd Out
Guanabatz
Thirsty Crows
Booze Bombs
Los Bandits
Demented Are Go
Buddy Dughi
Cherry Rat
The Octanes (Another Austin band)
Sky Daddy
Voodoo Swing
Sandbox Bullies

Last edited:
John Moreland - ( Americana /Folk rock /Alternative country) Criminally underrated (IMHO) singer songwriter from Tulsa.
Top 5 songs - Hang Me In The Tulsa County Stars / 3:59am / 100 Pages Of Lies / Harder Dreams / Good Book

David Ramirez - (Americana) - Austin Texas
Top 5 Songs - The Bad Days / Harder To Lie / Stick Around / Hold On / Watching From A Distance

Jason Isbell - (Alt Country / Southern Rock) - Alabama (he's probably the most well known though, although I find a lot of people still don't know about him)
Top 5 Songs - 24 Frames / Cover Me Up / Super 8 / Hudson Commodore / Live Oak

I have a few more that are not so obscure now but also love : Tyler Childers / Cody Jinks / Sturgill Simpson (up until the latest album) / Erik Dylan / Jaime Wyatt.

Last edited:
Scooter Brown Band. Scott Brown is a vet & I meet him & Chris Kyle the first year of Base Camp 40. They became great friends to each other & Scott sang Valor at Chris's funeral.

Some of these I know I will like! Keep em coming!

I've become recently enamored with The Mona Lisa Twins. They have mostly done Beatles covers, but their originals (also Beatles-esque) are outstanding. Beautiful voices, and their harmonies are chills-inspiring.
I like them! Their acoustic cover of Wish You Were Here is solid - will check out more.

John Moreland - ( Americana /Folk rock /Alternative country) Criminally underrated (IMHO) singer songwriter from Tulsa.
Top 5 songs - Hang Me In The Tulsa County Stars / 3:59am / 100 Pages Of Lies / Harder Dreams / Good Book

David Ramirez - (Americana) - Austin Texas
Top 5 Songs - The Bad Days / Harder To Lie / Stick Around / Hold On / Watching From A Distance

Jason Isbell - (Alt Country / Southern Rock) - Alabama (he's probably the most well known though, although I find a lot of people still don't know about him)
Top 5 Songs - 24 Frames / Cover Me Up / Super 8 / Hudson Commodore / Live Oak

I have a few more that are not so obscure now but also love : Tyler Childers / Cody Jinks / Sturgill Simpson (up until the latest album) / Erik Dylan / Jaime Wyatt.
I love Isbell and have him in rotation. Liked him back with Drive By Truckers

The Monophonics a fantastic funk/soul band from San Francisco.

Gramatik a low key electronic beats artist

Cory Morrow, Pat Green, Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, and the list goes on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vallejo (Indie Rock)
Gary Clark, Jr (blues)

This right here might be the richest song I have ever heard by one person and one instrument. The combo of strumming and picking he displays in this song is unreal.

Cory Morrow, Pat Green, Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, and the list goes on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Love them all! Texas Country is my goto daily

Not really "obcure", but not very mainstream.... De Phazz, Bela Fleck/Victor Wooten, Beck, Porcupine Tree/Stephen Wilson, Larry Carlton, Alison Krause, Butthole Surfers, Zero7, Air, Spyro Gyra...

I listen to some weird stuff.

Not really "obcure", but not very mainstream.... De Phazz, Bela Fleck/Victor Wooten, Beck, Porcupine Tree/Stephen Wilson, Larry Carlton, Alison Krause, Butthole Surfers, Zero7, Air, Spyro Gyra...

I listen to some weird stuff.
Loves me some Larry Carlton. His album Friends is one of my ultimate "chill" playlists for when I just want to relax and zone out. He was also awesome in Steely Dan.

Mariachi El Bronx

Kyle Park is one artist I listen to sometimes... he sings country. It's modern but not heinous.

Back