What shaft for my 3 wood?

I think there’s a lot more that goes into flex fit than just swing speed, and it’s definitely not universal.

For me? If a shaft is stiff in the wrong places, I swing it horribly until I go to a flex soft enough to accommodate. Stiffer it gets to my brain, the more aggressive I want to load it.

I guess people are hearing what I'm not saying and not hearing what I am saying. There are other swing speeds at which I would say we need to investigate flex to see what serves you best. However, there is a point (for me it's ball speed/output) in which I'm wasting valuable time and swings by letting my golfer hit certain flexes.

You are welcome. It sounds like an even better starting point then is to take your exact driver shaft and the same shaft about 10 grams heavier, if that is an option, for your 3-wood. Again, start point only but if you are hitting the driver great, Good chance you’ll be close. Get fit!

This is the path I tried recently. I've been gaming a 60g, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 shaft in the driver and decided to put a 70g of the same shaft in my 3wd. I've been gaming an 85g Aldila Rogue MAX X flex in the 3wd for some time and figured I'd hit the 70g Smoke pretty well since I hit the 60g fairly well in the driver. I couldn't have been more off target. The 70g Smoke 6.5 was a nightmare in the 3wd. I ended up putting the Aldila back in and all in well now, but I was amazed at how something I hit so well in driver didn't translate to the 3wd.

This only stands to reinforce the advice that's been echoed throughout... get fitted or be prepared to try multiple shafts to find one that'll work.

I guess people are hearing what I'm not saying and not hearing what I am saying. There are other swing speeds at which I would say we need to investigate flex to see what serves you best. However, there is a point (for me it's ball speed/output) in which I'm wasting valuable time and swings by letting my golfer hit certain flexes.
I’m good with it as a starting point. Have to start somewhere as a fitter, right?

I like to think tempo plays a pretty huge role in that starting point.

I’m good with it as a starting point. Have to start somewhere as a fitter, right?

Love the discussion on this one.

This is sort of my take on it as well. Don't have near as much experience as the folks that have already piped in on this thread, but for me, swing speed/tempo/transition style are key to driving flex options. Add in that there is no standard for flex across brands and shafts and it makes it that much more important to get fit and experiment. You got to start somewhere but it takes a keen, trained eye to know when to move flexs/weights across different shaft manufacturers.

Just my 2 'internet golfer' cents. :)

This is the path I tried recently. I've been gaming a 60g, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 shaft in the driver and decided to put a 70g of the same shaft in my 3wd. I've been gaming an 85g Aldila Rogue MAX X flex in the 3wd for some time and figured I'd hit the 70g Smoke pretty well since I hit the 60g fairly well in the driver. I couldn't have been more off target. The 70g Smoke 6.5 was a nightmare in the 3wd. I ended up putting the Aldila back in and all in well now, but I was amazed at how something I hit so well in driver didn't translate to the 3wd.

This only stands to reinforce the advice that's been echoed throughout... get fitted or be prepared to try multiple shafts to find one that'll work.

Driver swing and 3 wood swing are not the same, thus assuming the same shaft in the driver will work in the 3 wood doesn't really make a lot of sense. Driver we are swinging up and the ball is on a tee. 3 wood we are sometimes hitting it off the deck and hitting down on it. Rarely do I fit the same shaft in fairways that I do in drivers. We need to figure out how the player hits a 3 wood, where they use it most (off the tee or off the deck) and what they want it to do. From there we pick shafts based on their profile and figure out what gives us the best result.

Yes. He was also head of R&D for Adams and Wilson previously. We are humbled to call him a good friend and glad he is here to help THPers.

If you search over some of our THPGolf videos he has a ton of great information in our content

Very cool. Just another example of the way THP delivers the "wow factor".

Welp, did not know that is who I was talking to... That's incredible. 🙏

Don't feel bad. You've been here barely over a month. I've been here over two years and this is the first I've seen where it was explained who he is. I agree, it's incredible the depth of knowledge we have available here on the forum. Most people are more than willing to exchange information and debate topics with others. Only a few that refuse, but maybe they'll come around eventually. THP truly has an overabundance of knowledge, experience, and information.

Driver swing and 3 wood swing are not the same, thus assuming the same shaft in the driver will work in the 3 wood doesn't really make a lot of sense. Driver we are swinging up and the ball is on a tee. 3 wood we are sometimes hitting it off the deck and hitting down on it. Rarely do I fit the same shaft in fairways that I do in drivers. We need to figure out how the player hits a 3 wood, where they use it most (off the tee or off the deck) and what they want it to do. From there we pick shafts based on their profile and figure out what gives us the best result.

Without getting too far off topic, but based on that assessment, would you consider it a safe bet to put the same shaft in the 5wd as I'm playing in the 3wd?

Tempo is a big factor. I've never said it isn't at any point in time. However, we can only swing fast a set smoothness, if that makes sense. Cameron Champ is a great example. It looks ridiculously smooth, but he is putting an insane amount of force on the shaft and has some of the fastest moving hands out of anyone on tour. Slow tempo at 115 is still putting a certain force on the shaft that requires some stability that almost any S flex shaft would struggle to provide without manipulating it's flex (CPM) in some way.

Don't feel bad. You've been here barely over a month. I've been here over two years and this is the first I've seen where it was explained who he is.

It has been discussed in podcasts, THP TV spots and more. It happens.

Tempo is a big factor. I've never said it isn't at any point in time. However, we can only swing fast a set smoothness, if that makes sense. Cameron Champ is a great example. It looks ridiculously smooth, but he is putting an insane amount of force on the shaft and has some of the fastest moving hands out of anyone on tour. Slow tempo at 115 is still putting a certain force on the shaft that requires some stability that almost any S flex shaft would struggle to provide without manipulating it's flex (CPM) in some way.

I thought we weren’t supposed to use PGA Tour players :ROFLMAO:

Without getting too far off topic, but based on that assessment, would you consider it a safe bet to put the same shaft in the 5wd as I'm playing in the 3wd?

Not really. It's a closer starting point than assuming driver shaft will work in 3 wood, but not set in stone. It all depends on what you're bringing to the table and what you're wanting that 5 wood to do.

I don't know anyone on here that I can use as an example. I'm new here. I could randomly tag someone and just hope people think I'm telling the truth.
It was a joke my friend. Just in response to your post where you said using PGA tour players is never a good idea. I used a smiley and a gif 😂😂😂

I don't believe it's black and white ALL the time. I do believe it pretty much is in this case with his 3 wood. I would be willing to do the fitting for him, post the results and if he fits into an S flex, I will give him the club/shaft combo at no charge.

I might have to take you up on that 🤔

Thanks for the advice from recent experience!

I would really enjoy it! We could make a video out of it, post it on here. And I have zero issues if I end up eating my foot on it. Always room to grow and learn, regardless of experience. That said, I won't be eating my foot! :p

I have always wanted to go to Nashville! 🔥

It has been discussed in podcasts, THP TV spots and more. It happens.

I've seen several videos (maybe Podcasts) were he's been introduced, but I don't ever recall a title/position being mentioned. Maybe I just didn't watch the right ones. I dunno...

This is getting fun! Being cooped up for the last three weeks has driven me crazy. Once this all goes away, I would love to host a group of golfers here and do some fittings and play some golf!

I'm in as long as there's some Country music being played in the background during the fittings.

Back