What should I do?

claycribbs

Fear the Dolphin Swag!
Reaction score
Handicap
Today we were playing in a High School Golf Qualifier and I was sitting on the bubble over whether I would play this weekend or not. We play averages, so I needed to post a good score to lower my average, and to jump ahead of the kid in front of me. I post 40, he posts 44. Anyway, He took an "8" on number 18. At the time, I didn't think much of it. But now that I look back, I see he made a 9! I relized, that 1 stroke could affect who makes it into the tournament this weekend. So, should I report this? If yes, what is the best way you would feel about doing so.

My idea was to talk to the 3rd dude in the group tomorrow, and see if he agrees it was a 9. If he does, then we confront the player, and show him the error of his ways, and then he tells the coach he made 9, the averages are corrected, and the man with the lower average plays this weekend. Anyone agree?

I'd have to say honesty is the best policy - ALL THE TIME - call him on it.

Today we were playing in a High School Golf Qualifier and I was sitting on the bubble over whether I would play this weekend or not. We play averages, so I needed to post a good score to lower my average, and to jump ahead of the kid in front of me. I post 40, he posts 44. Anyway, He took an "8" on number 18. At the time, I didn't think much of it. But now that I look back, I see he made a 9! I relized, that 1 stroke could affect who makes it into the tournament this weekend. So, should I report this? If yes, what is the best way you would feel about doing so.

My idea was to talk to the 3rd dude in the group tomorrow, and see if he agrees it was a 9. If he does, then we confront the player, and show him the error of his ways, and then he tells the coach he made 9, the averages are corrected, and the man with the lower average plays this weekend. Anyone agree?

That's a tough one, Junior. I think you have a pretty good plan. Speak first to the other player in the group first and see if he agrees. Can you count up his strokes shot by shot so you look like you're sure? What made you realize after the fact he may have posted the wrong score? You need to be positive before you start this.

Kevin

That's a tough one, Junior. I think you have a pretty good plan. Speak first to the other player in the group first and see if he agrees. Can you count up his strokes shot by shot so you look like you're sure? What made you realize after the fact he may have posted the wrong score? You need to be positive before you start this.

Kevin

I can seriously count every single one of his shots. It was a nine.

I can seriously count every single one of his shots. It was a nine.

1. Drive
2. Layup short of FW bunker
3. Hooked into bunker
4. Still in bunker
5. Skull across the green
6. Chip past the hole onto fringe
7. Putt to about 4 feet.
8. Lip-out
9. Tap-in

I would tread very carefully. Do you feel he did this on purpose? When you approach him, there's a very good chance he is going get very defensive and feel you're accusing him of cheating. Only you know how the members of your team relate to each other, and to the coach. It's a shame you didn't notice at the time. It would also be a shame if you don't get to play when you may have earned the spot.

Kevin

I'd ask the 3rd player (not that I doubt you, just helps avoid the your word against his kinda thing). Then I would approach the player in question instead of approaching the coach. It gives a chance for the player to save face-correct his mistake. Good luck, keep us posted on the outcome

I would tread very carefully. Do you feel he did this on purpose? When you approach him, there's a very good chance he is going get very defensive and feel you're accusing him of cheating. Only you know how the members of your team relate to each other, and to the coach. It's a shame you didn't notice at the time. It would also be a shame if you don't get to play when you may have earned the spot.

Kevin

I don't think it was on purpose. I mean, if he agrees it was a 9, I'll report it, if he doesn't, I might just lay low.

I don't think it was on purpose. I mean, if he agrees it was a 9, I'll report it, if he doesn't, I might just lay low.

Play it by ear. Is he an upperclassman? You're a freshman, correct? Good luck. Keep in mind this may be a guy you'll be playing team golf with for the next several years, but that doesn't mean he should be rewarded for a mistake.

You'll do the right thing. I have faith in you.

Kevin

Play it by ear. Is he an upperclassman? You're a freshman, correct? Good luck. Keep in mind this may be a guy you'll be playing team golf with for the next several years, but that doesn't mean he should be rewarded for a mistake.

You'll do the right thing. I have faith in you.

Kevin

Yeah, he's a junior. I just don't want to be on the "bench" for a mistake.

if he posted a 44 and you posted a 40 would 1 stroke matter? seems like you got him by 4 unadjusted strokes

if he posted a 44 and you posted a 40 would 1 stroke matter? seems like you got him by 4 unadjusted strokes

But it's average, he was leading me coming into today. It's going to be really close.

This is tough man and I feel for you. If he's a good guy and you think it's an honest mistake then I would bring it up to him first. You seem like a young guy who really has his head on straight, trust what your gut tells you the best thing to do will be, it will turn out well.

This is tough man and I feel for you. If he's a good guy and you think it's an honest mistake then I would bring it up to him first. You seem like a young guy who really has his head on straight, trust what your gut tells you the best thing to do will be, it will turn out well.

Yeah, I was certainly going to give him the chance to correct it 1st.

Clay, have you talked this over with your dad? KB & OG were very impressed with him and I would say he would be your greatest ally and best resourse for counsel. He truly has only your best interest at heart and would likely know the dynamics of the team and the effect of this on the team.

I say call him on it for sure. Also, I live in Statesboro too!

Would he be disqualified for signing a wrong scorecard?

I wouldn't think so. Not in a small situation like this.

Clay, have you talked this over with your dad? KB & OG were very impressed with him and I would say he would be your greatest ally and best resourse for counsel. He truly has only your best interest at heart and would likely know the dynamics of the team and the effect of this on the team.

Good advice here.

Kevin

Were you the only one to "witness" the 9 strokes?
If so, it would be his word against yours.
If others witnessed it, then in my opinion he needs to be called on it if you can get others to verify your position on this.

Although I have never met your dad, I would have to agree with at least talking with him and getting his opinion.

Kevin

Yeah that's a real delicate one to handle. I had a situation this summer where i was golfing with an old teammate of mine, a friendly non-serious round, nothing on the line. We had a par 5 that i bogeyed, i initially thought i made 5 (brainfart, embarressing but we've all experienced them) when i made 6; he says to me "are you sure about that" in a kind non-accusing tone, i recount and sure enough 6; but i still felt embarressed and felt as though he felt i was cheating even though we both know that wasn't the case. It's a delicate thing to handle

For your situation clay, there have been others on here who have given great advice, so i'll keep my idea short. You're competing with this dude right? and this stroke might effect specifically the outcome between you and this guy with the wrong score, correct? There was a third person in your group as well, correct? Is the third party in a near tie with you two as well?

What i'd say, to approach the kid, is first talk to the other guy (as you mentioned) to get it straight, then i'd have the third kid broach the "cheater" on subject. With you two so closely competing you approaching him can go wrong in a whole lot more ways than it can go right. He could be defiant for you accusing him for a number of reasons (age difference between you two, the ages you two are at [teenagers], the closeness of the competition, the lateness of the accusation, the accusation itsself) and i can tell by your responses that you want this done amicably.

If the third kid agrees it was a 9 and has nothing to gain by pointing out to the kid it was a 9, he's in a better position to get a positive, complying response than if the kid who is his direct competition approaches him about it.

That's just my experience

i have the belief of karma and if you take care of your game it will take care of itself. I dont cheat nor ever intend to on the golf course however one of my closest friends flew through college math classes but always struggled on the golf course if you know what i mean. I never accused him of cheating but in the end he embarrassed himself and learned the hard way. Golf is a gentlemans game and as dishonest as he is being im not sure you calling him out on in is that much better. Think about some cases on pga tour when ball markers move or grass in swept away. Even last week stricker thought DJ was gonna be late when he saw him on the driving range late but didnt say anything (caused dj 2 strokes, poulter dq, villegas dq) those players had people in their groups and had peers who couldve said something. Noone called out the people who got dq'd because honestly i dont think it offended them.

* Again im just trying to offer a different view at the situation. Personally if im a freshman il have my time and imo I would just practice more and destroy them all. What I did one time to a cheater is used sarcasm to get him thinking... a few holes after he changed his score from 7 to 6 i said ...man nothing like getting a true 6 when I doubled a par 4 and just looked at him. He got the message.

"Most of the time the choices that dont benefit you are the hardest ones to make; would you view it differently if you knew you were playing this weekend"

Talk to the player first, show what you got and see what he has. The worst thing would be if it got around that you went behind a guys back. Teammates, squadmates, crewmates, need to stick together. Just my 2 cents here.

Talk to the third player and then talk to him. If he is any kind of man he will man up and report it correctly. Just watch your tone when you tell him. Don't come off as smug or anything like that. Let him know you hope he would do the same if it were you.

Back