What skill or hobby did you take up this year, outside of golf?

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I do all sorts of things. My ex wife says that my hobby is hobbies.

This year I took up butchering. I am a hunter, and normally have my game processed. This year I decided to do it myself and butchered a hog and a deer I took a couple weeks ago.

In parallel to this, I've taken up curing meats and making sausage.

Hog became lots of pork, ground pork and several delicious hams and home made bacon.

Deer became steaks, stew, ground meat and lots of jerky (huge hit at work, have gone through 20+lbs in a couple weeks).

So outside of golf stuff, what hobby or skill did you take on this year, or recently?

Mowing? LOL! We bought a push mower and fired our mower. I intended for my son to do it, but I have found I enjoy it as a sort of workout and have done it more than 1/2 the time.

Home improvements! I ripped up carpet and put in vinyl plank flooring, replaced all our faucets and a vanity, redid the toilet flush mechanisms, and ripping up the deck and replacing with Trex now. Next is laundry room cabinets and turning a closet into a mud room.

This year I took up butchering. I am a hunter, and normally have my game processed. This year I decided to do it myself and butchered a hog and a deer I took a couple weeks ago.

Hog became lots of pork, ground pork and several delicious hams and home made bacon.

Deer became steaks, stew, ground meat and lots of jerky (huge hit at work, have gone through 20+lbs in a couple weeks).

So outside of golf stuff, what hobby or skill did you take on this year, or recently?

As a former farm country kid, we butchered everything. It’s a great skill to have, especially knowing how to cure meat, make sausage etc. you never know when you might need it.

I really haven’t done a lot of new stuff this year. I did commit to some sort of primitive fire starting any time I have a fire in the backyard. Which is usually 2x a week or so. Could be flint and steel, could be a bow drill, could be a hand-drill. I also have been cooking a lot over the open fire, caveman style.

Can you post your jerky recipe?

Can you post your jerky recipe?
It is a super secret recipe, so secret even I don't know it.

I will be making my own recipe going forward, but for the first round, I wanted to go with a prepackaged deal.

I didn't take up any more hobbies but outside of golf I do home improvement (use to do it semi-professionally), I dabble with acoustic guitars, I play with vintage stereos and I love riding MTB.

We're heading up to Branson, MO next week to look at condos. When we get settled in, we're definitely going to take up kayaking and mountain biking!

I took up trying to not piss off my wife. Some will say that’s not a hobby, but i challenge that opinion. It takes a lot of effort, rewarding when you finally get it, and in the end makes life so much better in a whole.

I took up making Sourdough. The end result is the best bread you have ever had. Fresh bread is just better. Not hard but it is time consuming with lot's of inactive time. This has lead to other breads, pizza dough and pasta.

I was a golfer who took up fishing years ago. This summer, I was a fisherman who took up golf again.

Nope, nothing new this year. With the China Virus shut down and restrictions, I was just happy to get out and golf.

Tried my hand at fish keeping, aquascaping . Now I am bleeding fish for sale.

How did I forget? I am also a beekeeper this year. Harvested a bunch of honey from 3 hives and everyone loves it. I am so enthralled by my girls.

I started drinking. More.

drinking more for sure.

Not sure the group will think it much of a hobby but started watching series on history. Currently watching a series about the history of the Roman Empire.

Skill = Bourbon.

drinking more for sure.

Not sure the group will think it much of a hobby but started watching series on history. Currently watching a series about the history of the Roman Empire.

Hey I’m all in! I watch a lot of stupid stuff, but can really love some Discovery or History channel shows. I don’t have cable or a streaming service such as Hulu Live, only Netflix. Which is ok, I miss my football and golf but I’ll do a free trial week the week of the Masters and IF the Browns (or much more likely, the Buckeyes) make it to the playoffs.

It’s 2020. I think watching TV counts as a hobby now.

Back