What spin do you like to see with driver?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
I know this is a topic oft-discussed. I am just curious what spin with driver most of you think is truly best for your game. On a launch monitor, it is great to see 2000, given that I tend to launch fairly high. However, for real life conditions, with my ball speed of around 148 to 152, my optimal spin is around 2500. Much lower and I am playing with fire.

It’s a fine line, and for me it’s changed SO much over the years.

Used to be I needed all the launch I could get and thus I needed spin in the 2700+ realm even into the low 3’s. Now, my launch is up so much that I can really take the most advantage of the 2000-2250 realm.

It’s a fine line, and for me it’s changed SO much over the years.

Used to be I needed all the launch I could get and thus I needed spin in the 2700+ realm even into the low 3’s. Now, my launch is up so much that I can really take the most advantage of the 2000-2250 realm.
I’d love to see your swing currently with that added launch. It would be a thing of beauty.

I used to hit down on the ball more than I do now. Since I have learned to hit up more the ball launches much higher and less spin is ok. I think around 23-2400 is ideal for me for max distance but last season I basically fitted myself using the eye test and arccos for distances so I can’t say for sure what I was at with my setup. If I had to guess it was around 26-2800 though

2200-2400 seems to be my sweet spot with my launch angle that gives me solid distance and decent minimization if curve. Go lower and I need to be perfect on my face control to use the extra yards. Go higher and I hit lots of fairways but I lose a good 20 yards of carry. And that's if I am staying in my 4-6 degree up AoA range.

I used to hit down on the ball more than I do now. Since I have learned to hit up more the ball launches much higher and less spin is ok. I think around 23-2400 is ideal for me for max distance but last season I basically fitted myself using the eye test and arccos for distances so I can’t say for sure what I was at with my setup. If I had to guess it was around 26-2800 though
Assuming the new RAD release has both the lower spin head and something similar to the Xtreme, which head do you think you will choose this coming year?

I’d love to see your swing currently with that added launch. It would be a thing of beauty.
It’s funny, 2020 has taken me from high lofted 11+ degree setups to 9.0 and sometimes below depending on the head. Crazy.

As low as possible. I can't get to too low, but I do like some strait forgiveness.

I don’t know exactly as I normally don’t spend more than 10 minutes a year on the Trackman with a driver. I’d guess 2300ish. I play both my Epic SZ and Mavrik SZ at 8* with a fairly tip stiff shaft and when I was fitted both were in the 2150-2400 range.

Assuming the new RAD release has both the lower spin head and something similar to the Xtreme, which head do you think you will choose this coming year?
That’s a tough one. Obviously we all want more distance but I was still able to get it out there pretty good with the Xtreme and find fairways all while playing the driver at 8* 😳.

I plan to actually get fit this year assuming the world returns to some normalcy so we will have to wait and see. If the distance gain isn’t significant though I’d definitely choose a more forgiving model.

I have a very positive AoA so my spin is low. Ideal for me is if center contact is around 2100...gives me a little room up and down for misses.
A monitor session usually reveals spin anywhere from 1750-2400

This is one stat where I’ve evolved. I’ve worked hard to get a positive AOA so now I’m wanting to see 2300-2800 for my spin to help me maximize carry

Low. The EXS Pro has been an absolute revelation for my game.

As close to 2000 as possible, but 2500 or less is great. Launch as close to 10* as possible with ball speed between 175-180.

2,200-2,500 seems to be close to perfect for me

Around 2200 is my sweet spot. Don't mind up to about 2500. Generally launch around that 13-15 degree range depending on how high I want to hit it.

As close to 2000 as possible, but 2500 or less is great. Launch as close to 10* as possible with ball speed between 175-180.
Those are big boy numbers that I could only dream of.

For most of the courses I play, probably around 2400-2800. Just a guesstimate though.

I find this topic fascinating as I don't really know what my spin and launch numbers look like. Given how good the B21 performs for me I'd guess lower is better for me given I have a pretty high SS (120ish) and know ballspeed off the driver is in the 175 neighborhood. The data side of golf is right up my ally I just need to get some access to some good data.

I need under 3000 to have a good day with the driver. My “controlled slice” has about 3300 rpms of spin, but I’ve only been on a sim or quad once or twice for short periods so I haven’t even seen what my best drive numbers look like.

I like to see it in the 2000-2300rpm range. That seems to be a good balance of stability and carry. If spin gets much over 2500 rpm I know I am starting to give up distance potential.

Back