What sport has the biggest separation between the professionals and amateurs?

Baseball and it’s not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think the answer is all of them. Every sport we see on TV the pros are so good they make it look easy enough that guys like us think we could do it if we just had a little more time to practice. The reality is they are light years better.
i agree with this totally. Imo moat folks underestimate or dont realize or simply dont even think about how far from normal professionals are at what they do vs the rest of us.

A number of folks here mention baseball as though that is the one sport with some sort of greatest differential of them all.
truth is its most all of the sports/games. Look at football or hockey or things we dont even think of like skiing or swimming or any sport. These guys are world class athletes and are unique specimens that are far beyond what most the maasseas are capable of doing. But an even more important difference is that they can do these things consistently at that highest level time after time after time after time. Just like golf,......that is the main difference. Not only can they all do things we cant do but even the few things we can do we cant do it as often nor as consistently as they do. Not even close. They are all (in all sports/games) on another planet.

Thought this would be a nice addition to the conversation.Screenshot_20200605-224601_Firefox.jpg

For most difficult, I'd say batting in baseball. But as to biggest gap, I'd have to think self preservation.

In baseball, I'll go down swinging on 3 straight pitches but I'll live to play the field and that's half the game.

In football, against NFL caliber players... I may not make it through even one play in one piece.

"Medic!!!"

Ice hockey has to be up there.
Flying around on skates making those insane cuts, Taking shots between the legs and then doing the spin-a-Rama....
I played many years, and no way could I do that!

Motocross/Supercross has to be up there too. Even in the pro ranks, a lot of the riders who are good enough to make the main events are little more than speed bumps, and many of them get lapped at least once during a main event. An amateur on his best day doesn't stand even a shadow of a chance against a top-tier pro on his worst day.

Baseball? Swing the bat and you might get lucky.
Basketball? You would be humiliated.
Football? You would be hospitalized after one play.
Downhill skiing? You might not make it to finish line alive. They don't ski on snow, you know. It's ice.
But speaking of ice, the winner is ice hockey. They are such good skaters you can't believe it.

Back