What stats indicate a good round for you?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When looking at my recent scores to see what really stood out, I noticed an anomaly. In my best round in recent history, I only hit 2 fairways! And I bogeyed both of those holes... and again, I only had 5 GIR, but only 29 putts. So clearly my short game and putting drove that score along with the fact that I had no doubles or worse.

What stats typically indicate a good scoring round for you?

Fairway in regulation and putting correlate with my lower scoring rounds. My approach shot accuracy from the fairway is twice as good as from trouble.

I've had unusually good rounds where I hit very few greens but I one-putted ten times and had no three-putts. I've also had unusually good rounds where I hit a lot of greens and therefore my two-putts were mostly pars. I've had good rounds where I hit almost every fairway and I've had good rounds where I hit just my usual eight or nine fairways.

The only thing my best rounds all have in common (let's say the half-dozen times I've broken 80) is no penalty strokes and either no three-putts or all or maybe a single three-putt from 50+ feet. Obviously nobody can score their best if they're losing balls or three-putting from 20-30 feet. But I can score my best in spite of missing fairways or missing greens.

One quirk. My second-best round ever (a 76) was also the first time I broke 80. Not a single birdie. Did it all with just par after par after par and making tap-in bogeys when I missed greens badly enough not to be able to chip it close. Usually it takes a birdie or two to get me into the 70's.

GIR and putts for me. They indicate good iron play and good short game, which are the things that really drive my lowest scores.

Still trying to figure that out. Our rough isn’t super thick on my course so missing a fairway isn’t the worst thing for me. When I am in the fairway, that doesn’t seem to guarantee anything for me either.

Putts are weird. I’m pretty decent with a wedge around the green and can get up and down for par a decent amount so I could have a bunch of one putt holes but they are all for pars.

I would say GIRs for me. It means I had a look (even if it’s a far one) for birdie and if I don’t at least par, I know where I lost strokes on the day

I'd say fairways in regulation. I'm hitting more of them than I thought I was. And shot accuracy. I'm missing a LOT more to the right than I would have thought I was.

For me, I'm just enjoying having data to draw from.

Gir is the biggest cause I stuck at chipping.

Each round is kind of combination of its own stats, and I can be misled by certain ones. Like, I tend to score well when I hit a lot of fairways because I hit I very high percentage of greens from them. Typically upper 80s percent. So you'd think that would be a good indicator. Thing is, when you look at the scores that count towards my handicap vs. all of the scores, those numbers hardly change. So they're not actually the reason for those good rounds. If you look at my GIR% from off the fairway in HDCP rounds vs. all scores, it's actually worse right now. Total putts are .7 lower, scramble % is 7% higher, etc etc, nothing off the norm for slightly better rounds.

Where I see I difference is in my GIR Putts from the HDCP rounds and an average of 1 less total penalties (for grinters that includes being in the sand and stuff). So the key to me scoring well seems to lie more in staying out of trouble (not costing myself opportunities) and proximity and putting. I'm either getting close a lot, or putting hot, or both. So for me, the #1 stat that predicts a good round is number of first putts inside of 15'. When I'm on a hot scoring streak my putt charts don't have a lot of total chances in the 20' and 30'+ columns.

gir. even when my short game isn't its typical dumpster fire. i'm still not getting up-and-down. but i don't 3-putt often. so if i'm on the green in the reg, i'm making no worse than par. and if i'm on the green in reg 10 or more times, i'm probably breaking 80.

For my home course it is fairways hit, saves and putting. Greens at my course are hard to hit given the length for me and due to the fact that long is death playing short makes a lot of sense. If I can hit 10ish fairways then I can usually either hit greens or make sure of a good leave that makes it easier to get up and down.

Fairways hit and GIR. According to Arccos, ib my most recent best round, I hit 10 of 14 fairways and 10 fairways while having a middlin' putting effort. When fairways and greens go down, my scores go up quite quickly.

Scrambling % is first, GIR's second.

Fairways are a myth and don't exist :p I play a lot out of the rough so I am not concerned about missed fairways too much as long as I have a second shot. If my GIR % is high, I will post a good score, but if my scrambling% is high, that means, in addition to the GIR's, I made par on holes I missed on. My best rounds are where my chipping and putting were hot.

Putts, penalty strokes, double bogies

If I can control all 3 of those, then I usually shoot quite well.

For me, it’s either my GIR or my Scrambling. If either of those are on point I’ll post a decent score.

FH Fairways Hit, and please stop with "fairways in regulation", there's no such thing, you either hit or miss.

Mine is putting. If I can keep 3 putts away then I feel like I'm having a good round. I think often times you need many things in conjunction to really give you a great round however.

The place I play at the most doesn't seem to have terrible rough, so that's nice but it does have a few places where it's easy to lose a ball.

Greens in regulation is what I’m working on the most. It’s getting better but not quite there. I’d be happy if I could hit 50% in regulation in a regular basis. Putting is also another one. Almost every round this year I have been averaging under 2 putts per hole which I’m thrilled about

I'd probably have to say greens in regulation. Fairway's hit doesn't always paint the picture because of where the miss is. Putts is kind of the same, I could have low putts because my short game is strong that day as opposed to hitting more greens and two-putting. In reality, I don't know if there is just 1 straight basic stat for me, but if it were, I'd lean towards GIR.

Unless we count 3 putt and penalty avoidance.

Probably two that aren't really tracked - penalty strokes and up & downs. Missing fairways doesn't usually hurt much because our rough isn't too punitive in most places, and a lot of my missed fairways are at least close. I don't hit a lot of GIRs, so a day when my short game is hot and I'm getting up and down usually ends up being a good round (and also correlates to a lower number of putts).

Few to no penalty stokes and a bird or 2 will make for a good scoring round.

GIR

GIR and putts for me. They indicate good iron play and good short game, which are the things that really drive my lowest scores.
Same for me, only 28% fir, 🥺, but, 78% gir with 12 putts for nine holes allowed me to shoot a 2 under 33 today.

Back