What stats indicate a good round for you?

gotta be the GIR followed closely by FIR - GIR and two putts means lots of pars, FIR eliminates punch outs...

Fairways hit off drives is the one I care about the most because if I'm keeping it in the fairway that means my slice is gone and that's what I've been working on the most lately :p

GIR is also important (to be fair probably more important than fairways hit) and keeping penalty strokes to a minimum is also key.

75% FIR & Sub 30 Putts

Part of the apparent mystery may be the fact that counting "fairways hit" and "green in regulation" are pretty bogus statistics. Yeah, over enough rounds they'll kind of correlate with what they're supposed to be measuring and therefore correlate with scoring. But they are way too simplistic to expect them to match up on a hole-by-hole round-by-round basis with scoring.

If you hit five balls into the first cut of rough in a round, that is unlikely to cause five double-bogeys. But every ball hit into the woods or knee-deep rough or hazard/OB is a double or worse waiting to happen. A "fairway missed" can cost you 1/10 of a stroke or two full strokes or anywhere in between.

Same for missing a green. At my home course, there is almost no meaningful difference between a round where I hit 10 GIR and a round where I hit 4 GIR but 6 more holes I'm just a yard or two off the green in the fringe. A "missed GIR" can cost absolutely nothing or, again, it can cost a couple of strokes.

So don't spend too much time wondering why junk "stats" don't match up with your score in a particular round.

It varies, I can miss a lot of fairways but still be in play and recover the hole. Yesterday I missed a lot of GIR but still scored well the first 7 holes. Different variables every round.

Part of the apparent mystery may be the fact that counting "fairways hit" and "green in regulation" are pretty bogus statistics. Yeah, over enough rounds they'll kind of correlate with what they're supposed to be measuring and therefore correlate with scoring. But they are way too simplistic to expect them to match up on a hole-by-hole round-by-round basis with scoring.

If you hit five balls into the first cut of rough in a round, that is unlikely to cause five double-bogeys. But every ball hit into the woods or knee-deep rough or hazard/OB is a double or worse waiting to happen. A "fairway missed" can cost you 1/10 of a stroke or two full strokes or anywhere in between.

Same for missing a green. At my home course, there is almost no meaningful difference between a round where I hit 10 GIR and a round where I hit 4 GIR but 6 more holes I'm just a yard or two off the green in the fringe. A "missed GIR" can cost absolutely nothing or, again, it can cost a couple of strokes.

So don't spend too much time wondering why junk "stats" don't match up with your score in a particular round.
Exactly! My 28% fir stat was not very penal since all but one was in the first cut rough. The only 1 that hurt me was the cause of my only bogie, had to take a low punch out thru the trees just to get back on the fairway.

Scrambling and putting. Even when I'm playing well, I probably average 12 GIR's. To score well, I need to convert the up-and-downs and make a good number of putts too.

The only stats I keep/remember are score per 9 and 3 putts and others. This year I'm doing a reasonably good job of avoiding the latter 2, but still need to fine tune the short game for missed greens.

It can vary some for significantly different courses but no matter if I'm not scrambling well, or I'm taking penalties, punch outs, or duffs, I won't score well.

Initially I thought FIR, but so long as I'm getting the GIR, my scores are usually better. I can always hit the GIR from the rough, whereas if I'm adding up penalty strokes before even getting a chance at things...

Second stat is putts. Fewer putts, better score. Sounds simple, but there's a direct correlation between my low score rounds and putting.

I just looked through my rounds and I couldn't find a pattern. Low putts per hole and scrambling... maybe. But there are certainly plenty of rounds where those stats were better than average and I still didn't score well.

Oddly enough, GIR has almost no correlation to my scores, yet that is considered by many to be the most important.

I'd have to dig for the stats, but certainly penalties per round would have to be the biggest factor towards a poor round, while an overall decent balance of all skills would result in a good round.

GIRs for sure. Put me on the green and I will score well. Or at least a miss I can putt. In my mind I count those as a GIR and I get those down in 2 more than I don’t. Big green misses equal bogies for me quite a bit. Too much. Working on it though!

Fairways is my biggest stat, if I can get 2nd shot around the green I am in good shape.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Can't say I have had many bad rounds when I hit 13+ greens

GIR first and FIR second.... I don't 3 putt a lot so hitting greens is critical for me to score.... played 27 on Sunday, in those 27 holes I hit 13 GIR and had 4 birdies & 8 pars (1 bogey 3 putt).... in the 14 holes I missed the green in regulation, I had 3 pars 6 bogies, 3 doubles and 2 triples..... :mad: both triples were rinsed on Par 3s :oops:

Dropping a long putt, piping a drive down the middle

Greens for me. The bad putting usually comes from trying to force the issue, opposed to just being satisfied with a solid lag putt and move on.

Most of best scores have been when my chipping, with a one putt game has been good. One putts for par, or bogey really help my scores.

I have this thing I read from a book by a 1930s golfer about playing for no 6s on my score card. When I don't card a 6, or higher on any hole, my scores look pretty good.

I just want to hit it hard & on my intended line. Do that & everything should be fine. But as far as stats, the score. Ain’t no pictures on the card.

I remember my first best round, what stood out was I was par or better for all par 3's combined.

When I broke 80 once, it was no 3 putts.

Lots of GIRs and 1-putts.

My last handful of rounds, the scores were nearly the same. One, I drove the ball well, kept it in the fairway, but something went wrong with my irons and everything went right. Short game and putting kept the score from ballooning. The other round, I couldn’t keep the drives in the fairway and had too many holes where being in the trees off the tee led to punch outs kept me from having many GIRs. Chipping and putting again kept the score down. Another round, one OB, and 3 in the water were where the strokes went. Stats don’t always tell the whole story. For me, if I for the most part, make good swings, even if the final tally isn’t good, I consider it a good round.

....Stats don’t always tell the whole story. For me, if I for the most part, make good swings, even if the final tally isn’t good, I consider it a good round.
I mean, the score is the ultimate stat for me. If I shot a good round scorewise, it means I had at least some parts of my game working fairly well. Like I said in another similar thread, I'd rather shoot an 80 that felt like a 90 than a 90 that felt like an 80.

Back