What swing instruction/teachings are you averse to?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
*inspired by a conversation earlier today

So whether from previous attempts, disagreement in philosophy/application, pure stubbornness, etc, what could an instructor tell you to do/you need to do, that would just be a hard pass for you? What's your non-starter?

For example: My putting setup is nearly off limits. Especially my ball being outside my eyes. If an instructor insisted I be more over the ball, I probably wouldn't even shake is hand and say nice to meet you. Which is already kind of my way of saying eff off. Lol

I would say if he wanted to really change my driver swing setup, I would say no unless it really got me some distance.

“Fire your hips.” No thanks, see ya.

Practicing without a club or hitting the ball. Don’t give me a bunch of mirror drills, it ain’t gonna happen.

The whole "toe to the sky and then up" idea. I'm out.

If they use the words “stack” and “tilt” in the same sentence. Worst few months of my life,

Nada. As long as the instructor is receptive to what I want and the feedback I give, then I am a lump of clay waiting to be molded into a beautiful sculpture. Unfortunately, the clay has been left out in the sun and is hard and resistant to instruction, but that’s another issue entirely.

I don't know enough about the swing to recognize a specific bad piece of instruction or teaching.

I think an initial conversation might be enough to recognize a poor fit. If he/she doesn't do at least some sort of assessment on how I learn or the difficulties I've faced from past lessons, what's the sense? And while I think video is a good tool, please don't compare my swing side-by-side to a tour pro.

1) Putting. I have my own way. 2) Don't tell me to slow down unless you explain to me why you want me to slow down. There is no purpose to swing slower. It costs distance which I want more of. 3) Don't give me gimmicky fixes. They don't work. 4) Don't be afraid to get technical with me. If i'm out of position at P5 and P6, tell me and tell me how far. You'll probably need video for this.

if they don't understand ball flight laws, i'm out

if they don't use or at least have access to some kind of launch monitor, i'm out

if they talk AT me rather than WITH me, i'm out

if they spend more time talking instead of letting me hit balls then talking through what i'm feeling/doing, i'm out

If they won't let me watch them make a swing, or if I haven't happened upon them on the course/driving range/practice facility. I need to see that you know what you're talking about. Doesn't mean the drive needs to fly 300 yards, I just want to see that you can demonstrate what you're trying to teach.

I'm pretty much open to anything. I think the only thing that would bug me is if the instructor didn't bother to see my swing first before starting me on drills.

"Stack and tilt". Almost ruined my game and took almost 2 years to get rid of all of it.

Anybody who showed me a pro golfer's swing as an example and started trying to make me swing like that. I'm not Rory or Tiger or JT - I'm 6'6" with arms like an orangutan, the flexibility of a dried out 4x4 wooden post, and I'm 58 years old. If I try to swing like that, we're both going to be walking like Quasimodo afterwards - me from trying to swing like that, and the instructor from me wrapping a club around his neck for trying to make me swing like that.

Last edited:
The truly vague ones .. “Use ground forces”, “increase lag”… just makes things worse

I don't like a very position-driven method of viewing the swing. I think I would shy away from instruction that made the swing seem like a bunch of components rather than a complete and fluid movement.

I don't like a very position-driven method of viewing the swing. I think I would shy away from instruction that made the swing seem like a bunch of components rather than a complete and fluid movement.
I've never had any personal experience with an instructor who used it, but isolating the 10 positions of the golf swing and inserting all kinds of angles and things breaks my mind when I read about it. It seems like it would make the golf swing a lot more complicated and mechanical rather than organic and flowing.

if he's strapping a box to me, we got a problem

if he's strapping a box to me, we got a problem
I occasionally catch part of the teaching shows on Golf Channel, and it occurs to me that I'd have to able to pull my pickup truck down to the driving range to carry all the props and accessories they use. Loading and unloading all that stuff would probably take me longer than the practice session itself, and by the time I got it all set up I'd be ready for a nap! Pool noodles, 50' of PVC pipe and various connectors, club shafts, harnesses, 2x4 boards, boxes, barrels, flaming hoops, bullwhips, trapeze setups....it's more like a three-ring circus than a golf lesson. Only thing missing would be a bearded lady and a tiger or two running around.

Last edited:
1. One plane
2. Someone with higher cap than me
3. Tons of changes at once
4. Someone trying to fix a symptom vs the real swing issue

Messing with my grip. I tried this and got crazy bad carpel tunnel. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tells me to quite my lower body and turn the top to create the X factor.

Or says I need to shorten up my swing and starts talking about where pro swings are at the top.

Nada. As long as the instructor is receptive to what I want and the feedback I give, then I am a lump of clay waiting to be molded into a beautiful sculpture. Unfortunately, the clay has been left out in the sun and is hard and resistant to instruction, but that’s another issue entirely.
😂

For the instructor/ insert here appropriate title..... not pull page 56 of the one size fits all , booklet an have a look at individuals swing , taking the good things and fixing the biggest bang for buck within the swing that individual has ..
End result would be , most effective use of time / confidence of the person with the swing being more successful and receptive with any follow up lessons ..

l image too many book you in and you get a Big Mac 1 hour , fills you up and does stuff all.

ld rather look at my swing and feel and understand it when it breaks down because l know it repetitive .

Back