What the F is with my pitching?

pilot25

Reaction score
Handicap
I have always had a pretty descent short game. I used to practice it for hours a week before kids. Still without practicing too much I've always been able to get within 10 feet from 100 yards in, most of the time. The last 4 or 5 rounds I've been blading my pitch shots from about 60 yards in. Skying them over the green and into the abyss. I did it 4 times today. I take a couple practice swings and nothing feels off. I sweep the grass or take a little divot. Then when I go to hit the shot zooommm there it goes. I don't even touch the grass. Its all blade. I use a 50, 56, 60 degree wedges. I have always used the Pelz method of dead hands swing with either 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 swings. No matter which I do, I fly it off the edge of the blade.

I hit the range after the round and all my pitch shots were fine. I did about a 100 of them. I grabbed the pro out of the shop, threw him his fee and begged for help. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and said, "Its in your head." This cannot be happening.

S.O.S!!

He kinda shrugged his shoulders and said, "Its in your head." This cannot be happening.

S.O.S!!

Pro is right. Forget about it.

This might assist you :

Another process that causes poor shots is negative thoughts (images). The subconscious does not make moral judgments on an image. It only sees the image. Negative thoughts program the subconscious to the negative thought.
THE SUBCONSCIOUS DOES NOT RECOGNIZE NEGATIVES
Picture a woman NOT putting on mascara. What did you visualize in your mind? A woman putting on mascara.
Don't hook! What image did you visualize? A ball hooking.
Don't hit the ball in the water! What did you visualize? A ball landing in the water.
Don't hit it out of bounds left! What did you visualize? A ball curving out of bounds left.
The subconscious does not know the difference between what the conscious considers a negative or a positive. The subconscious only has an image. It's the image that the subconscious visualizes, that it will program, and try to reproduce. There is no such thing as imaging something NOT happening. Whatever you are imaging, is what's happening in your brain.
ALWAYS IMAGE OR VISUALIZE THE POSITIVE
Hit the ball to a target.
Hit the ball over the water.
Hit the ball to the right side of the fairway.
Whenever you play a round of golf and someone keeps pointing out the problems on every hole,
STOP THEM.

PS. I went on a golfing holiday in France and was shanking every short chip and pitch (and I mean 20 in a row ). The more I shanked the more I thought 'Don't shank' and it was a vicious cycle. Negative thoughts and 'Fear' can short-circuit whatever mechanics you've ingrained into your sub-conscious.

This might assist you :

Another process that causes poor shots is negative thoughts (images). The subconscious does not make moral judgments on an image. It only sees the image. Negative thoughts program the subconscious to the negative thought.
THE SUBCONSCIOUS DOES NOT RECOGNIZE NEGATIVES
Picture a woman NOT putting on mascara. What did you visualize in your mind? A woman putting on mascara.
Don't hook! What image did you visualize? A ball hooking.
Don't hit the ball in the water! What did you visualize? A ball landing in the water.
Don't hit it out of bounds left! What did you visualize? A ball curving out of bounds left.
The subconscious does not know the difference between what the conscious considers a negative or a positive. The subconscious only has an image. It's the image that the subconscious visualizes, that it will program, and try to reproduce. There is no such thing as imaging something NOT happening. Whatever you are imaging, is what's happening in your brain.
ALWAYS IMAGE OR VISUALIZE THE POSITIVE
Hit the ball to a target.
Hit the ball over the water.
Hit the ball to the right side of the fairway.
Whenever you play a round of golf and someone keeps pointing out the problems on every hole,
STOP THEM.

Great thoughts!

I struggle with the space between my ears as well, quite often. And the one thing that seems to get me back on track is the thought of not thinking anything at all. Just hit the damn ball. We tend to start putting variables in our head that throw off the end goal, which is just to hit the dang ball. lol

Great tips, thank you.

I've been consistently shooting in the 70s this year and haven't done that in forever. Last few rounds I seem to be chasing numbers and getting in my head that "I have to get up and down.". That hasn't been in my thoughts before because I haven't really cared about my score. At least not until I started playing well with consistency. Last 3 rounds have been 85, 87, 94. That was after 5 rounds in the 70s. High scores all due to blading pitch shots.

Just another test in this crazy game.

Last edited:
It’s too far forward in your stance, or you’re looking up early. Nothing more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back