What to do when your eyes lie while putting

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I’ve been working on my putting lines a bit more than normal and I’ve noticed a major problem. When I get over the ball, what my eyes see as aimed at the center of the cup is actually commonly the right edge. Basically, what my eyes see as straight is anything but.

Does anything one else struggle with this and what do you do about it?

Can a mod fix the typo in the title? Grrrr. It should be “when”

Which eye is dominant, how your head is positioned relative to the ball all have an impact on how you perceive the line to the hole. If you don't know which eye is dominant, a simple search on the Internet will show you the simple test to determine which eye it is. Once you know that, you want to make sure you set up over the ball with that dominant eye directly over the ball. Not in front, or behind, or inside or outside, but over the ball. You also want your eye-line to be straight down the target line. In other words, if you visualize a line from the center of one retna through the center of the other retna and extended from there it would go down the target line.

leftshot;n8903313 said:
Which eye is dominant, how your head is positioned relative to the ball all have an impact on how you perceive the line to the hole. If you don't know which eye is dominant, a simple search on the Internet will show you the simple test to determine which eye it is. Once you know that, you want to make sure you set up over the ball with that dominant eye directly over the ball. Not in front, or behind, or inside or outside, but over the ball. You also want your eye-line to be straight down the target line. In other words, if you visualize a line from the center of one retna through the center of the other retna and extended from there it would go down the target line.

Left eye dominant, right handed golfer. Eyes directly over the ball. No matter what I do, it seems straight it’s actually right of straight.

It is called parallax error. Some people will tell you to ignore it because you know where you need to putt. Others will tell you to adjust your setup to fix what you are seeing. You can fix what you are seeing by adjusting your setup; this may require you to significantly change your posture, eyeliner, or stance. Most people have this issue, some are worse than others.

Molten;n8903356 said:
Left eye dominant, right handed golfer. Eyes directly over the ball. No matter what I do, it seems straight it’s actually right of straight.

Hi, left eye dominant right handed golfer here, loves long walks on the beaches and Moscow Mules in the moonlight.

I disagree pretty adamantly with the previous thought that your eyes MUST be over the ball, it’s not one size fits all and it even varies by some of the top putting coaches in the world.

Myself, it’s eyes over the heel of the putter, or just inside the ball. Why? Its a more comfortable look for my left eye dominance and using laser pointers proved that it puts me on my intended line....which when over the ball directly was constantly right of my intended target.

Eyes HAVING to be directly over the ball putting is one of those repeated old things that ranks right by “keep your head down!” and the likes.

Try it.

cnosil;n8903360 said:
It is called parallax error. Some people will tell you to ignore it because you know where you need to putt. Others will tell you to adjust your setup to fix what you are seeing. You can fix what you are seeing by adjusting your setup; this may require you to significantly change your posture, eyeliner, or stance. Most people have this issue, some are worse than others.

My days of ignoring it are over after my last round. My god it was frustrating. I guess it’s time to make a change!

Molten;n8903235 said:
Can a mod fix the typo in the title? Grrrr. It should be “when”

Got ya covered.

Lately my eyes have been lying all the time. Thats why I use the line on the ball and I have to trust it once I stand over it.

Jman;n8903361 said:
Hi, left eye dominant right handed golfer here, loves long walks on the beaches and Moscow Mules in the moonlight.

I disagree pretty adamantly with the previous thought that your eyes MUST be over the ball, it’s not one size fits all and it even varies by some of the top putting coaches in the world.

Myself, it’s eyes over the heel of the putter, or just inside the ball. Why? Its a more comfortable look for my left eye dominance and using laser pointers proved that it puts me on my intended line....which when over the ball directly was constantly right of my intended target.

Eyes HAVING to be directly over the ball putting is one of those repeated old things that ranks right by “keep your head down!” and the likes.

Try it.

I like medium walks on the beach. Compromise? I also might have a bunch of Visio training aids coming to find train my eyes a bit better.

How do you recommend i mess around with different setups?

Molten;n8903356 said:
Same boat as you and I don't have a fix besides using a line on the ball. Even then I'll get over the putt and readjust farther right despite knowing the line is correct. Do you have the same alignment issue on other shots?

Molten;n8903379 said:
How do you recommend i mess around with different setups?

Here is a video that will give you some ideas. Easiest way is to setup a couple of balls that are in line with a hole and move your body and head until you see them as straight in line with the hole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RrP1DtM3o

formula8;n8903381 said:
Same boat as you and I don't have a fix besides using a line on the ball. Even then I'll get over the putt and readjust farther right despite knowing the line is correct. Do you have the same alignment issue on other shots?

At times, yes I do. I have counteracted it this year through my routine so I’m optimistic I can do the same with putting.

Do you wear an RX? I can't putt with my glasses on, it throws off how everything looks

Start practicing with the putter mirror. It helps

For most people, there is some ideal combination of where your eyes are positioned relative to the ball on the Inside/Outside axis and where the ball is positioned relative to your dominant eye in terms of Forward/Back. Generally speaking, if you find that correct eye-vs-ball position you will see the line correctly.

But that can still be screwed up if you wear prescription glasses that distort your visual field or if you turn your head to look at the hole in a way to changes your perspective.

It's a really tricky thing to figure out. I'd recommend a session with a good teaching pro who can help you tweak your setup until you find the right combination. I fought with that for a long time when I first started playing but eventually figured out that having my eyes very slightly "inside" the ball (although directly over the ball works OK) and having it centered between my eyes (rather than under the dominant eye) works consistently for me.

But I still have one issue. On really short putts, inside about 3 feet, my normal setup makes it look like I'm lined up an inch or two left of center. I think it's my prescription progressive lenses that cause it. On longer putts I am turning my head to look at the hole. When I'm that close I am seeing it out of my peripheral vision which is distorted by the eyeglasses.

So it probably looks silly but even on a 12-inch tap-in, I step up to the ball and then rotate my head to check that I'm pointing in the correct direction. Just like I'd do on a 20 footer.

Left eye/ right hand dominant here also and I had a huge issue missing putts on the right side of the hole last year. I've been able to fix it significantly this year by doing two things:

1. Once I've determined the line I'm going to take I find a spot along that line to focus on. Finding a spot closer to my ball to focus on helped tremendously.

2. Using Triple Track. Combining the use of those three lines with picking out a spot closer to my ball has been a huge help. A single line on a ball never worked for me, Triple Track does.

My putting went from being probably the weakest part of my game to one of the stronger parts.

I like Malaska's thoughts on it. Find a setup that appears straight to you (using an intermediate target as a reference) and stick with it (eyes inside the ball, over the ball, whatever works for you). That way you aren't going against your subconscious.

KEV;n8903458 said:
Left eye/ right hand dominant here also and I had a huge issue missing putts on the right side of the hole last year. I've been able to fix it significantly this year by doing two things:

1. Once I've determined the line I'm going to take I find a spot along that line to focus on. Finding a spot closer to my ball to focus on helped tremendously.

2. Using Triple Track. Combining the use of those three lines with picking out a spot closer to my ball has been a huge help. A single line on a ball never worked for me, Triple Track does.

My putting went from being probably the weakest part of my game to one of the stronger parts.

I was going to post about picking out a discernable spot 3' or so in the line that gets the ball to the hole... but you had posted it already.

Crouched back behind ball and looking at the line the ball has to travel at the right speed to get in the hole, I would walk up close to my ball and pick that spot out in the chosen line. Once over the ball, focus on that spot and mentally feel the stroke/pace the putt needs and then execute the putt rolling it over that spot at the right pace. This is what helped me minimize misalignment to a good line.

I haven't used Triple Track lines yet, so can't comment but since you mentioned it, I will find some and try it out!

Snickerdog;n8903394 said:
Do you wear an RX? I can't putt with my glasses on, it throws off how everything looks

WAY better than average eyes, so that's not a concern!

Those of your that suggested Malaska's technique - thank you! I'll give it a shot. I tried it this morning and found myself more comfortable with the ball further away but I definitely need more time to get this right.

I know this will get poo-pooed by the purists, but I slightly open my stance to the target to allow my dominant eye to see my target line better. It has always worked for me. A few years ago a friend of mine kept giving me crap about it, then outta the blue his putting fell to pieces. After coaxing him into trying the open stance, his putting improved. Imagine his surprise. He’s since found his stroke with his old setup, but never gives me crap about my open stance anymore.

RH eye dominant and I struggle mightily with this.... I use the ball to help align and trust the line chosen from behind the ball is correct.

tilley88;n8903672 said:
I know this will get poo-pooed by the purists, but I slightly open my stance to the target to allow my dominant eye to see my target line better. It has always worked for me. A few years ago a friend of mine kept giving me crap about it, then outta the blue his putting fell to pieces. After coaxing him into trying the open stance, his putting improved. Imagine his surprise. He’s since found his stroke with his old setup, but never gives me crap about my open stance anymore.

Trust me, I’m willing to give anything a shot at this point. I’ll be sure to play around with this over the next couple of days.

tilley88;n8903672 said:

Lots of great putters have set up a little open or closed with their stance. Not a thing in the world wrong with that!

Back