What to do when your swing is lost

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
My swing can officially be reported as missing. Usually when I have a couple lesser rounds, I can figure out my swing issues and get back on track. But as of late, I legitimately cannot get it worked out and back on track. And the worst part is, it’s steadily been getting worse, both scores and overall number of quality shots. Sure I hit a few good ones over the course of a round, but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Not to sound dramatic, but for lack of a better term, this is the first time I’ve felt “hopeless” about my swing and my game. Not sure really where to go from here. I’m hoping it’s just a phase (that’s longer than usual) and I get back on track. But right now, it definitely doesn’t feel that way.

My swing can officially be reported as missing. Usually when I have a couple lesser rounds, I can figure out my swing issues and get back on track. But as of late, I legitimately cannot get it worked out and back on track. And the worst part is, it’s steadily been getting worse, both scores and overall number of quality shots. Sure I hit a few good ones over the course of a round, but they are becoming fewer and fewer. Not to sound dramatic, but for lack of a better term, this is the first time I’ve felt “hopeless” about my swing and my game. Not sure really where to go from here. I’m hoping it’s just a phase (that’s longer than usual) and I get back on track. But right now, it definitely doesn’t feel that way.
I forget who said it but I agree with it that it takes a teaching pro 5 minutes to figure out what could take a player 2 years. I know in my case that it is maddening to completely feel like you've lost it then get a lesson and improve by leaps and bounds from simple suggestions in a short time.

It’s always just a phase. Keeping it in perspective and fun will help stop from beating yourself up but a lesson or some mirror work could help you right the ship. The middle of September isn’t the worst time to lose it - start building for next year with a rock solid base

I feel for ya.... This is not always the case, but frequently it is something as simple as setup. It may be balance, too much weight in toes/heel, too much tension, an alignment issue, too open or closed, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video analysis, trusted eyes, and then shrink it down if need be. Go small and build it back up. That's generally my process. A lesson seems like a reasonable response though.

Video analysis, trusted eyes, and then shrink it down if need be. Go small and build it back up. That's generally my process. A lesson seems like a reasonable response though.

Yeah what he said. (Trust the + here). It’s usually something stupid and simple.

Video you swing and find out what your doing different. It’s easy to fix when we know what we are doing wrong.

We've all been there. One thing we all have to decide at some point is whether we want to improve with the help of a good instructor, or want to learn to become our best instructor. A lot of people don't want to invest in what it takes to become the latter and that's just fine. There is no right or wrong path, but you have to decide which one you are on to get as far as you can.

If you decide you are going to depend on an instructor, then you obviously need to determine who that will be. If you decide you really want to become your own best instructor, that's the path I chose. I'd be glad to share some of the things that helped me move down that path.

Add me to the lesson crowd. I sometimes take a break too when struggling and find that helps. A week or 2 break can make a big difference. My guess is it keeps getting worse because you are over thinking everything and playing golf swing instead of golf. Just a guess but I am guilty of that sometimes as well.

Take a break. Then go out and don’t think about anything. No range warmup, no swing thoughts in your head. Walk up, address the ball and go. No scores, stats, etc... Sometimes it just clicks and resets the brain. It might take a couple of rounds, but it comes back. Perfect time of the year, greens are being aerated (at least around here) so putting is out of the mix.

When my swing goes on vacation, so do I.

That's why I own fishing gear. Also why I have a nice back pack, and a walking staff.

Even pga swings need a break from golf every now, and then.

As I understand it, there are 8, or 9 (?) bad shots in golf. My suggestion is for golfers to read up on those bad shots, and get an understanding on what causes them. Couldn't hurt during one's vacation grom golf..

I might video my swing, but I'm afraid to look. :unsure:
Late season fatigue= real.
My body would start to wear down and holding angles got harder.

Id say the first thing you should do is to stop stressing about it. Youre always going to have your ups and downs. If you just play golf for fun and exercise, who cares if you are in a slump? Keep swinging, maybe order a few beers from the cart girl if it helps you and relax.
If it really bothers you, go take some lessons. Im sure a good teaching pro could fix your swing in a lesson or 2. About 13 years ago, I took some lessons one summer and it really opened my eyes to just how much I didn't know. Its difficult to improve when you don't know what you don't know.
I know that for me, before I took lessons, when my swing would go south, I would just keep swinging in the hopes that somehow it would all just work itself out. Now, when my swing starts to go south, I can usually identify just what Im doing and usually fix it pretty quickly. Im not perfect but Im certainly better than I used to be.

Back