What to do with suits, sport coats and ties?

ddstanford

Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In my previous life I wore that stuff every day and now am wondering what to do with all my suits and ties. How many funerals and weddings do we attend each year? I'm not sure people need them to interview for jobs anymore or I'd donate the clothes to them. What have you all done with your dress clothes? Should I copy my dad who used to dress up to go to the store and coffee shop ;)

MonroeBob1955

Reaction score
Handicap
Mine are tucked in the back of my closet. So rarely do I have an occasion to wear them. Mostly when I dress up to take the wife to a nice dinner/evening out. They’re in clothing bags to keep them from getting too dusty. I guess someday they’ll go to the goodwill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaybeDuffer

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Mine are all in the "rarely-used storage" wardrobe in the basement, covered with plastic dry cleaner bags or garment bags.

The sport coats haven't been used in many a long year. My last job before retirement was business casual, so I stopped needing them. My suits (a two-piece business suit, a blue pinstripe three piece, and a black three-piece) still get worn for the occasional event that requires more formal attire. For events that require something more dressy than casual wear, but less than a suit, I still occasionally don a dress shirt, tie, and dress pants.

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I used to wear ties everyday not that I don't I gave most away and as for suits I kept what I needed and donated the rest to the Salvation Army.

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
I donated almost all of mine after I retired. Have worn long pants one time in the last 2.75 years.

Blade Man

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
I wear that stuff so seldom that I usually need to go buy new when needed.

just8abug

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Donated to Good Will. I was careful not to buy suits that would become dated quickly so I'm sure someone is putting them to good use. Now I have one suit and one sports jacket.

M2Giles

Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
I used to wear a suit most days since I couldn't wear my uniform. Now moving back to the US, they've pretty much just have been in my closet.

I'm holding onto them in case of a career change that necessitates them, but otherwise I hope if I'm in a different part of the country I can wear them.

ddstanford

Reaction score
Handicap
Donated to Good Will. I was careful not to buy suits that would become dated quickly so I'm sure someone is putting them to good use. Now I have one suit and one sports jacket.
I'm thinking that is a good idea, just keep a couple and give the rest away.

tahoebum

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I gave mine away to some of my sons college buddies and the rest to charity. I’m down to just two suits and 3 sport coats now and they only come out a few times a year for weddings or a charity dinner. I haven’t really worn ties for work since 1997 so those were thinned out long ago.

joshuac3

Reaction score
I hardly wear them anymore, but they are in a bag. While it’s good for my overall health, I’m a bit disappointed that I got fit for a new suit right before my wedding three years ago and within a year, I lost 30 lbs.

Not to worry, if I actually have an occasion to wear a suit (which has been at least a year), I can still fit in to my suit and sport coat from 10 years ago.

Space Bandito

Sultan of Santa Monica
Reaction score
Handicap
a toddler
In my previous life I wore that stuff every day and now am wondering what to do with all my suits and ties. How many funerals and weddings do we attend each year? I'm not sure people need them to interview for jobs anymore or I'd donate the clothes to them. What have you all done with your dress clothes? Should I copy my dad who used to dress up to go to the store and coffee shop ;)
I wear suits for occasional meetings, dinners, dates, etc. Jackets and ties are required in some restaurants and clubs. I wear each of my tuxedos at least once a year (nye, awards shows, fancy dinners)

greekelite

Reaction score
Handicap
Keep a couple good items and donate the others. Often there are programs in inner cities that loan/give clothes to young men who do not have access to them

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Donate, someone will get good use out of them.

Desmond

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I wore a suit for the first time in 20 months yesterday. Went to a wedding. Did not wear a tie. I don't appear in Court any longer, or very rarely

I have sport jackets galore from the late 90's, early 00's. I once loved to wear them. But now? No one dresses up traditionally any longer unless they are a politician or a CEO.

I have some really great Zegna ties from the '90s.

In sum, I have 1 suit that works.

Misike

Reaction score
Handicap
I donated a handful of mine to Salvation Army. Also donated a few to the local college, which then allows college kids to pick from the selection to use for job interviews and the like.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.5
I have one suit left hanging in the closet, for the once every two or three years that I need to wear one. I'm not even sure if it fits anymore, I've lost almost 70 pounds since 2015 and I don't remember when I bought it/last time I wore it.

Buckeyegolfnut

Reaction score
Handicap
About a 14
I used to have a ton of suits and sportcoats. And why do they call them sportcoats? I've never engaged in "sport" in them. Once I retired, I donated them all to Goodwill. All but my black "funeral suit", and my tan "celebration suit"! And I donated all the neckwear other than what would go with those suits. Simplify, simplify, simplify!

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Goodwill!!!

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in