What to expect from a driving iron?

womeldorff

Womel
Reaction score
Handicap
My game has gotten slightly better than it has been for the past few years. I am hitting the iron really nice and my chipping and putting are coming up pretty strong as well. My driver has died.

I can't hit the damn thing consistent and over the last 4 rounds have averaged 7 lost OB shots off the tee with the driver making my score shoot up into the high 90's.

If I switch over to a driving Iron on par 4's under 410 can I realistically expect it to improve my game and consistency?

Please help

How well do you hit long irons? If not very well I doubt a driving iron will help much.

How well do you hit long irons? If not very well I doubt a driving iron will help much.
Irons are pretty good right now. Lost a bit of power but gained control.

4i is around 200-210

My experience with a driving iron is that it really forced me to learn how to cover the ball. I had decent shots with it but once I covered the ball I was able to control the shot a lot more. I only found this out by watching stinger videos. I have found that yes I lose distance but it is a real fairway finder for me. That being said I love my driver so I don't use the driving iron off the tee as much as I could. Included a video that really helped me, I still can't hit a stinger but I make great contact with DI, 4, and 5 iron.

Irons are pretty good right now. Lost a bit of power but gained control.

4i is around 200-210
Then you could do well. Do you do hybrids or not? Those are a good option also and with your length a 19* could get you out there 220-230 with some rollout.

Then you could do well. Do you do hybrids or not? Those are a good option also and with your length a 19* could get you out there 220-230 with some rollout.
Hybrids hit like woods for me. I pull the **** out of them

How far can you hit a driving iron? For me it is 200-210 best case but I am not very long. On a 400 yard hole that still leaves a 190 yards or more into the green. If you have 7 lost strokes on average you are going to be better if you can hit something 200 yards and in play then get it up around the green and give yourself a chance to make par or bogey at worst.

Long term you need to figure out the driver.

My experience with a driving iron is that it really forced me to learn how to cover the ball. I had decent shots with it but once I covered the ball I was able to control the shot a lot more. I only found this out by watching stinger videos. I have found that yes I lose distance but it is a real fairway finder for me. That being said I love my driver so I don't use the driving iron off the tee as much as I could. Included a video that really helped me, I still can't hit a stinger but I make great contact with DI, 4, and 5 iron.

I am going to watch this ty.

I am going to watch this ty.
If you find that video helpful that guy puts out a lot of driver videos as well. I enjoy his teaching style and my hack most of the time is to watch in 1.5x speed and if something peaks my interest I will go back and play in normal speed.

My game has gotten slightly better than it has been for the past few years. I am hitting the iron really nice and my chipping and putting are coming up pretty strong as well. My driver has died.

I can't hit the damn thing consistent and over the last 4 rounds have averaged 7 lost OB shots off the tee with the driver making my score shoot up into the high 90's.

If I switch over to a driving Iron on par 4's under 410 can I realistically expect it to improve my game and consistency?

Please help

Unless you are a long hitter, the driving iron isn't going to anything for you.

The driver is in many ways the easiest to hit club in the bag.....you just don't know it yet.

We will see. I am testing one out today situationally

I have one and hardly ever put it in the bag. Except for an occasional par 3 I have little use for it. Driver, hybrid is not an issue for me.

When your swing is on then there's not much more satisfying than the ball flight and massive distance of a driving iron.
When your swing is off and you don't fully commit it'll cost you heavily on the scorecard. Definitely a club that you have to fully commit to. I find it much easier to control my 3 iron blade than my driving iron but there's a huge difference in distance when both are struck well.
I bought a 17 degree DI but I would have rather bought a 19 degree steel shafted one if I could. I'd rather have the added accuracy and a little more distance than my current 3 iron.
328fee396fca9e8912e736ec42ea88b4.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If you are not a good iron striker...... a world of pain!!!

I LOVE THE 3 UIHI.....780 RECOIL SHAFT IN STIFF....

What do I expect from a driving iron.

It's fairways hit. Have to get the ball in the fairway or at the very worse, the first cut

Something which I am managing to do with mine at the moment, according to shotscope I am at 71% fairways hit with it, with 15% misses to the left and 15% to the right. I know those misses are just off the fairway too

Those stats have potentially removed a new ponder too

Back