What type of grass do you prefer?

Played 90% of my golf on bermuda. Prefer zoysia fairways.

Zoysia is my favorite.

Zoysia is a dream, but doesn't grow up here, so guess I better head back to KC to play it

I’ve played 99.8% of rounds on bent grass but the other 0.2% on bermuda (once) and I liked it as it was a completely different challenge than the bent and I putted relatively well on it.

Bent grass greens are the BEEEEST. Not always the smoothest but always consistent.

I actually don't mind chipping and/or putting to Bermuda greens. They're way more receptive and roll so pure when they're perfect. But nothing is worse than a Bermuda green in piss poor shape.

Love bent grass greens, but in the South they have to be heavily watered to keep them alive. This makes them susceptible to ball marks and slow speeds. They are great the rest of the year. In fairways, always play Bermuda.

You must play out at TPC Craig Ranch? Thats the only place Ive played with Zoysia fairways and really liked it.
I've played at Craig Ranch a few times but don't belong there. I really like the way the ball sits up on Zoysia - like hitting everything off a tee! Diamante Country Club in Hot Springs Village also has Zoysia fairways.

Last edited:
Playing in the Northeast, I would definitely say Bent grass and poa annua greens. That said I don't mind Bermuda when I'm playing in the south.

Ditto, that is what I’m used to however, down south the Bermuda doesn’t bother me... and I’ve never played on Zoysia

This probably has been discussed previously, but I thought it would be fun to address again. This winter, I have had a chance to play 7 rounds on Bermuda courses. I just finished three days of golf on Bermuda greens that were lightening fast. It is such a different surface to play on than what I am habituated to seeing. The extremely tight lies on these courses makes the little flop shots so much more difficult. On the other hand, it seems so much easier to get the ball to stop on the greens.

What grass do you feel is most conducive to your games and why?
Having lived in the midwest my whole life and having only played golf in the midwest, I dont know that I know anything other than ryegrass, so Im not sure that I can really say.
From what Ive heard though, Id think that I probably would like bermuda greens. I love a green that rolls fast and true. Theres nothing I hate more than bumpy, slow greens.

I played in Florida just a couple times, and was absolutely terrible with Bermuda grass. While it was a fun challenge, watching my ball roll 30 ft downhill after the lightest tap was infuriating haha

I have no experience on Bermuda, but I know a couple of guys who do. They took their wives on a Florida vacation and were able to play a couple of rounds. At one course the starter figured them for northerners, probably because of their pale complexions, and asked them if they had ever played on Bermuda before. They said no, and he told them they might want to play their irons a little farther back in their stance. They told me, back in our stance, hell! How about BEHIND our stance! They couldn't get used to it at all!

I've played on poa annua all my life. A lot of people hate it. I love it in the morning thru about 1 pm. After about 3 pm, there are no 3 foot gimmes. I played on bent grass once and it scared the crap out of me. It took me about 8 holes before I got a feel for it so I wasn't putting 6 feet past the hole - I had to read breaks different. - I didn't have a lot of time to practice putting. I knew it was going to be an interesting round when I hit the practice green. Next time I play that course I'll take my lumps with the long game and spend my time putting. Still despite terrible putting I shot my handicap.

I don't know what's best for me and my game. A year ago I would have said bent greens, typical midwest, etc. I had no real experience on bermuda before moving here, and the learning curve was steep, but I think I like it now. I'll take anything I've played on before. 'Best' is not being surprised.

Getting used to bermuda variants. several courses out west are switching to them as they need less water.

For fairways
Common Bermuda sucks.
Tif Bermuda is good
Zoysia is the best

For greens:
Bent all the way

Bent for me.
I am surprised nobody has made a ganja joke by now.:giggle:🚬

I think Zoysia is my favorite, but haven't played it much.

When I was stationed in Florida, Bermuda wasn't a favorite, at all

We currently have diamond zoysia greens at my course and bermuda fairways. We will changing over to championship bermuda this season which I am not looking forward to.

Back