What type shaft for Wedges?

ULEWZ

Golf Magician
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am a graphite guy for most of my clubs, but find I like a steel shaft for my wedges. I was able to try the tour edge exotic Pro SW with a Dynamic Gold 115 shaft, and I really liked it. I have since purchased a Cleveland CBX2 in 50 and 60 with the same shaft and find I love those also. It really improved my short game with less mishits and greater touch.
I also find I can keep the club face more square on impact for some reason using steel.
So I guess my question is, do you stick with graphite for your wedges or use a steel shaft and why?

My current wedges, and my previous set, all have UST Recoil 95 F3 shafts. I put them in my previous wedges one at a time to try them out, and couldn't have been happier with the results. When I replaced my wedges last year I custom ordered them with the Recoils . Great feel, control, and a little longer on full shots than the stock steel shafts.

Same as @OldeDude , Recoil 95 F4 in irons and wedges. I like the consistent feel. 😎

So I guess my question is, do you stick with graphite for your wedges or use a steel shaft and why?

Short answer is of course everyone is different and there are a lot of combinations of heads and shafts.

Long answer...

This past winter, I decided to build two Maltby wedges with graphite shafts in an attempt to match my iron set. The logic being that there would be no abrupt changes at that part of the bag. I asked others on the forum and found out that many prefer graphite.

There was some delay in getting the components and during that time, @JB and @GolferGal gave me a CBX2 60° with a steel shaft. I finally received the shafts and heads from Maltby, built those clubs and soon found myself with an abundance wedges - my old wedges, the new builds and the Cleveland gift.

I wanted those Maltby wedges to be my short game saviors. I really thought I'd be sending the CBX2 back so someone else could enjoy it. But when I put all of the wedges through as objective a series of tests as I could come up with, it wasn't even close. Not only did the CBX2 blow away the Maltbys, my old Hogan 56/10 SW with a steel shaft was nearly as easy to hit. There isn't an issue going from the GW in my iron set (graphite) to the Hogan SW. The GW just gets a bit more roll.

I don't know very much about club technology. I don't know what it was about the Maltby builds. It could have been the head design, could have been the graphite shafts, I really don't know. While I believe the graphite shaft are best for my full iron swing, the combo of the steel-shafted Cleveland and the Hogan has my short game as the only bright spot of the season so far.

When I was fit at ECPC during #TheGrandaddy, it was the UST 760s in all the Apex CF16 irons, then the UST 460 in the MD4 wedges, 52/56/60. Over time, I just didn't care for the graphite in those MD4s and when they needed replacing I went with the KBS HI-REV 2.0 wedge shafts in the JAWS wedges. I find the steel more stable and consistent, and when I do hit a full shot I seem to hit the ball longer with steel.

Same Recoil shafts in irons and wedges for me. Once I committed to going all graphite 6.5 years ago, I have not wavered. My wedge play improved with the change and iron play stayed about the same.

I have Recoil 780 SMACWRAP in my wedges. It is the same shaft in my G700 irons. I personally like the consistency between clubs. My G425 irons will be arriving soon and those will have the Alta shafts in them so I'll see how I like the transition between or if I'll need to look at changing out my wedges to something else. I had a good experience with the Cleveland Rotex shafts in the past as well.

Funny, my wife loves my cbx2 60 and borrows it all the time, but wants me to buy her the woman's model with graphite shaft. Just ordered it, time will tell if it is a better fit for her (she is 5'8").

Currently have graphite in my irons as well as my wedges though they aren’t the same shaft. Same weight class though with 85g and I’m really consistent with them

I’ve got graphite in my irons and 52*, but steel in both my 56* and 60*.

When it comes time to replace my wedges, I’ll be opting for graphite there. I prefer the feel, and so do my wrists.

I’m in graphite for my irons but still have steel in my wedges. My next purchase will be graphite in my wedges for sure. I need something stiff and heavy in my wedges but there are a ton of great options out there.

I was worried about graphite at first but made the switch to help with golfed elbow. Graphite iron shafts were an immediate improvement for me and feel more stable and controllable than the steel shafts I had before.

Recoil Wedge Proto F4 in all 3

Recoil 110 F5 ssx1 in my irons

Odd question as I'm about to get some Apex and Jaws MD5 built. I know the previous Mack Daddy's are .355 hosels. Are the current Jaws also .355?

We are replacing my wife's Recoil 460 esx with Accra i 70's to match the build in her new apex. If the Recoils are listed on UST's website as .370, does Callaway taper them for the wedges or ream out the hosel to fit them? I'm wondering when we pull the shaft if it's a taper to fit the .355 head or if they reamed the head to fit .370

Back