What Wedges Should I add To My Bag?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Since my full bag fitting back in December at CC I only have a PW and a 56* in my bag at the moment. But since my 56* has a new Accra graphite shaft on it I'm hitting the club about 90 yds at the moment in the simulator. So now I'm wondering what other wedges I might add to my bag. I'm thinking maybe only two one lower and one higher, just not sure what degrees or bounce (if that's the right term).

Is it a °38 pitching wedge? ??????

Depending on what the PW loft is, I like to have 4 degree increments in my wedges. That doesn't work for everyone though.

Depending on what the PW loft is, I like to have 4 degree increments in my wedges. That doesn't work for everyone though.

I think the PW is 48*. Will check.

I think the PW is 48*. Will check.
If it is, then I would add a 52 in between there and the 56 (4 degrees) and then a 60 if you have room for another club.

I have a set GW but if you have the 56 maybe go 52/60?

If it is, then I would add a 52 in between there and the 56 (4 degrees) and then a 60 if you have room for another club.

I would have room in the bag as I think the chipper will be leaving the bag.

Currently pondering my wedge set up for next season, had 53, 56, 60 but with the 919 Forged GW being a 51 and the urge for new wedges I need to look at my options also.

Currently pondering my wedge set up for next season, had 53, 56, 60 but with the 919 Forged GW being a 51 and the urge for new wedges I need to look at my options also.
Some nice MD5's would slide right in there.

52 and 60 sounds like it should fit well in your setup.

I just added some of these :love:

Equalizer_Gallery_4_web_7bd17a46-53c3-47c3-937e-bd6b16caf1c7.png

Old Hogan iron lines called the matching PW an Equalizer. It was a slightly strong 50º club that went with a 45º 9-iron back when big selling blades from Spalding and Wilson had 48º 9-irons and 52º matching PWs. It may have been something Hogan got from previous MacGregor Tourney lines.

The New Equalizers use the sole shape that originated with Reid-Lockhart irons and was carried on by Scor.
I know people who swear by them, but they're not really best for me.
I don't like a hands forward technique knocking down the loft of my club on every shot.
Sometimes I like to play a high, soft shot from forward in my stance.
I need minimal bounce all across the camber for that.

I’ve got the JPX Hot Metal Pros and the PW is 46*, so I also got the matching GW which is at 50. I then changed out my old wedges to 54/58* Vokey Sm7’s. The SM7 can be found at a reasonable price at the moment as the SM8 is hitting the market.

I feel more confident with the 58* in my hand than I ever did with the 60* in my bag for sure.

Pretty much this exactly. (@OITW also gets credit, though unquoted)

Personally...depending on what your 56° is, I might go with a CBX2 in 52° and a PM grind in the 60° slot, or maybe the CBX full face in that spot. Depends a lot on what you like to do with your wedges.

Pretty much this exactly. (@OITW also gets credit, though unquoted)

Personally...depending on what your 56° is, I might go with a CBX2 in 52° and a PM grind in the 60° slot, or maybe the CBX full face in that spot. Depends a lot on what you like to do with your wedges.

Still pretty new to the wedge game, I used to have an old W/S dual wedge from my dad that I used all the time when I got close to the green. But with the new wedges there will be a learning curve.

I feel more confident with the 58* in my hand than I ever did with the 60* in my bag for sure.

Me too.
58 is a very useful and comfortable loft.
Got to resolve gapping issues to get one back into my bag.
Afraid to baby a 60 and tend to hit it too hard.

This reminds me to address that by April.
Don't want to use an old 58 because I like to match my wedges.
Don't order, for example, the set matching PWs for that reason.
Would have to if I tried to sell old clubs, but I collect [horde] them instead.

Still pretty new to the wedge game, I used to have an old W/S dual wedge from my dad that I used all the time when I got close to the green. But with the new wedges there will be a learning curve.
Not as much as you think. Technique is still the same, new grooves will stop much better.

Back