What wildlife (if any) do you see around your home?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
And I am not needing to hear about bugs.

Deer. Rabbits. Squirrels. Ducks. Geese. Birds of all kinds. Bats. Frogs. Turtles. Bees. Possum. Coon.
Lot less than when we moved in 35 years ago. Used to be fox.
The frogs were so plentiful, they'd all sit on the warm roads after rains. You'd slide around on frogs as you drove! Poor frogs. :eek:

Deer. Rabbits. Squirrels. Ducks. Geese. Birds of all kinds. Bats. Frogs. Turtles. Bees. Possum. Coon.
The frogs were so plentiful, they'd all sit on the warm roads after rains. You'd slide around on frogs as you drove! Poor frogs. :eek:

Where do you live?

There is a trailhead right behind my home. Not too far up the trail, a neighbor placed a trail cam. He claims to have photographed a bear, moose and many other unusual animals. Right in my backyard, I have seen:

1. Deer that overrun the place.
2. Squirrels.
3. Skunks.
4. Raccoons.
5. Lots of various birds.
6. Lizards.
7. Snakes.

There were several sightings of a cougar prowling the neighborhood last year.

Rabbits (lots of them), quail, doves, turkey vultures, hawks, lizards, coyotes (lots of them), mice, rattlesnakes, scorpions, pepsis wasps. An occasional bobcat, but they're rarely spotted.

I saw a fox today

Rabbits (lots of them), quail, doves, turkey vultures, hawks, lizards, coyotes (lots of them), mice, rattlesnakes, scorpions, pepsis wasps. An occasional bobcat, but they're rarely spotted.

But no murder wasps...

I’m stuck in the suburbs. We’ve got rabbits and squirrels, groundhogs and possums, raccoons and deer, fox and coyote, and a variety of birds. And we’re within walking distance of a farm with horses. Our lab gets very excited for all of the above except horses. He can’t seem to comprehend horses and kind of does a head tilt at them.

Deer, snakes, rabbits, squirrels, owls, hawks, cardinals, blue jays, tree frogs, toads. They're most common.

Deer and rabbits destroy our various plants and flowers.

Vermin.

This was in my back yard

Attachments

• C9498E72-D0FB-424E-B5ED-85F5D987DF2B.jpeg
    C9498E72-D0FB-424E-B5ED-85F5D987DF2B.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 14
This was at the bottom of my street

Attachments

• 2D618E00-187D-40A7-9CAC-6E26E39B4056.jpeg
    2D618E00-187D-40A7-9CAC-6E26E39B4056.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
In the city, not so much but we have the usual foxes etc. A little further out we'll have deer, stags, badgers, foxes, various reptiles and amphibians and a whole raft of birds. Inside my house there are two cats :LOL:

I live in VA so I see quite a mix of animals, but I would say mostly what see on a regular basis are probably deer, rabbits, squirrels, and all types of birds. You see deer and all the other odd animals, but not nearly as often as you would see birds. Birds are everywhere around here and of course my wife has up a couple bird feeders for the yellow finches.

Usually lots of birds, some rabbits, groundhogs, chipmunks, skunks, tree frogs and voles. Occasionally a deer will pass through, and we see fox from time to time. This year we also had a turkey run through our backyard, as well as a large snapping turtle slowing make his way across the yard. Love being able to show my kids all these creatures.

I live on the outskirts of Charlotte. Not in town but not in the country. We have a ton of deer.Owls which are cool to listen to and a hawk nesting area behind my neighborhood. Fox and apparently moles which I would love to find and do to them what they do to my yard.

That’s part of my list, I’ll add skunks, coyotes, mountain lions, fox, Bob cats. Turkey, quail, bald eagles, turkey vultures, and probably some I’m forgetting. As you can see the mountain is outside my yard so it’s mother nature’s domain we moved into F3BA7F7F-D821-41E0-A1D0-CBFAAA58BFDA.jpeg

From my office window.

20200714_181131_HDR.jpg20200714_181133_HDR.jpg

20180428_064413.jpg20190711_200607.jpg20190711_200612.jpg

They sure arent shy!

No they are not. Not pictured are about 5 squirrels that live on my property, 2 chipmunk that live under my deck, local cat that likes to wander through my yard, and 3 or 4 hares that hop around. Oh and that deer is one of a family/grouping of 7 that wonder around the neighborhood. They like sleeping in my back yard for some reason.

Deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, songbirds, snakes, hawks, waterfowl, and owls. At our lake home all the above plus daily sightings of loons and bald eagles. Fox, raccoons, muskrat, skunks, and coyote are also around but rarely seen unless it’s winter. Another oddity is half the squirrels are jet black near our lake home and we have white squirrels living in our Minneapolis yard. A mountain lion was spotted last winter by one of my neighbors and another buddy sent me this picture of a bear he hit last week.

The loons are our favorite wildlife because of the sounds they make.

F5BEAFE6-0CCD-4C11-AEAD-89822BE8089E.jpegAC20A45D-BD0E-4141-90FA-8BF209FAD7B5.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.37.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-15 at 7.36.58 AM.png

Last edited:
No they are not. Not pictured are about 5 squirrels that live on my property, 2 chipmunk that live under my deck, local cat that likes to wander through my yard, and 3 or 4 hares that hop around. Oh and that deer is one of a family/grouping of 7 that wonder around the neighborhood. They like sleeping in my back yard for some reason.
I have skunk and groundhogs, but they keep there distance, luckily.

We have your normal “forrest” animals, plus animals you find near the river and ocean. Alligators, pelicans, seagulls, osprey, cranes, turtles, otters. You get dolphins and the occasional whale. Oddly, we have a large population of coyotes!

Wilmington NC we have snakes, some that bite and hurt (cottonmouth), some that don't. Lizards, lots of frogs and turtles, gators mostly small ones though recently a 8 footer just chillin in the sun. Turkey vultures and various other birds of prey. A few different types of herons and some amazing colourful finch type birds. Plenty of squirrels and I saw a rabbit for the first time the other day. There are moles but never see them and I would guess skunks (I've smelt them) and raccoons though haven't seen those either.

Back