What will you remember about 2019 as it relates to golf?

It has been a fantastic golf year for me. I'll remember so many great things and awesome firsts (in no particular order):

Getting to play with my grandson on the putting green. He is not so interested in his toy clubs but makes sure all my putts go in the hole;

My first THP event (Odyssey Experience) which prompted me to get my first fitting;

My first sub-80 round (77) in a long damned time;

My second THP event (Graphite Challenge);

Putter fitting by Sean Toulon and Luke Williams;

Playing golf with friends at home and with some great THPers, the Grandest Poobah THPer himself, Tyler Brewton, Austie Rollinson and Sean Toulon on some really amazing courses; and,

Some fantastic new golf equipment and swag.

But, most importantly, new friendships that have endured and will endure past our events.

With only a couple of exceptions, that is all thanks to the best $35 I have ever spent.

I'll remember some bad, too. I was at the course when a plane crashed on 17 tee box, killing the student pilot. Fortunately, no one was on the tee box when it happened.

1. Picking my clubs up again after a 3 year hiatus at the end of June and have been non-stop thinking about golf since then.

2. Getting my first birdie ever.

3. Winning a Cleveland Frontline 4.0 putter and a Ping 5-wood here on THP!

Took up the game again
Remembered how much I love it
Golfed with my wife for the first time - she encouraged me to take it up again, AMA, and continues to support/tolerate the obsession
Found THP (this ties directly to the next one)
EQUIPMENT research, more new equipment, research, different new equipment, and so on and so on
Became a member of a club for the first time
New friendships and experiences aplenty

Another part of life to be excited, challenged, and humbled by, and immensely grateful for.

-Tiger winning the Masters
- @manhattan01 & I making a solid run at the BC Match Play. So much fun!
-Shooting 72 at Tobiano. I'll probably never get close to that ever again.
-The entire weekend at the Budget Golf Championship. Started with an amazing round at Indian Canyons with good friends and just got better and better from there.

Tenputt - now that is an awesome year!

Didn't get out much in 2019, but made it count when I did!

Will never forget the incredible Morgan Cup and my first THP experience in March. Also will never forget the impromptu St Andrews trip with a 77 on the old course in May.

Wow, if 2020 is anything like 2019, I can't wait!!!!

Got to play at CDA with fellow THPers
Worked down to my lowest Handicap at 15
Shot PB 82
Won a tournament

2019 was an absolute blast for me the biggest thing i will remember is my first THP event. I was lucky enough to be able to go to the 2019 Odyssey Experience and the friendships that were made there are awesome! The event was just amazing and i think about Hammock beach all of the time lol!

I was able to work my handicap down form 24.8 in March to a 14.8! That was a solid effort and i am hoping to be more consistent for the rest of this year.

I went for a full fitting in early Oct and having gone through that process was eye opening on just how much a shaft can change the feel of a club. It is a worthwhile process to go through to improve your game.

Bring on 2020!

My son getting his first set of clubs and actually wanting to use them and making my daughter her first putter were the two best golf related events of my year.

*Shooting a legit PB 82 (as a 26 cap)
*Lowering my index from 31, to start the season, to my current 22.6
*Playing golf for the first time with my Father in Law while he was in town for my daughter's wedding.
*Replacing my putter for the first time in at least 12 years ( I NEVER mess with my putter once I start to groove with one) to a Stroke Lab 1 (couldn't be happier with it).
*Biggest one, for me, hasn't happened yet. After two and a half years on THP, I'm finally going to tee it up with a group of THPers at the Unnoficial Arizona Golf Outing. It's been a goal of mine since I joined this forum to tee it up with fellow THPers. I can't wait!!!
*Bring on 2020 and, hopefully, my first THP event!!!!

Odyssey experience hands down. Played some decent golf, not great but all pretty steady. But nothing can come close to the odyssey experience this year.

Two things will stand out in my memory having to do with 2019.

1. The first one would be finding The Hacker's Paradise Forums. I can't think of a better place to share my passion for golf than in a place where there are so many like minded people.
2. Second would have to be the Srixon z585 irons I bought about two months ago. They definitely have made my iron game better. Still working on it, but I can say that these z585 irons was one the better purchases of golf equipment I've made in quite some time.

Odyssey experience hands down. Played some decent golf, not great but all pretty steady. But nothing can come close to the odyssey experience this year.

That was a weekend for the ages. Those courses, the access to some great minds and the gear.

2019 will always be remembered as the year I got back into golf after 16 years away. Bought my first set of custom fit clubs. Found THP. Won a driver and THP golfballs. Broke 100 for the first time in my life. I've now preformed that feat 5 times. Birdied my first Par 4. In three weekends from now, will get to Tee it Up with a group of THPers for the first time.

2019 will always be remembered as the year I got back into golf after 16 years away. Bought my first set of custom fit clubs. Found THP. Won a driver and THP golfballs. Broke 100 for the first time in my life. I've now preformed that feat 5 times. Birdied my first Par 4. In three weekends from now, will get to Tee it Up with a group of THPers for the first time.

Wow, you have had a memorable 2019. I envy you. :drinks:

My wife and I went to Bend Oregon in September. Played 2 beautiful courses there, just the 2 of us. Was really fun quality time that we don't get as much of anymore now that we have 2 little kids. Was special.
Which courses did you play?

Certainly the high point was playing 3 rounds at Coure de Alene, not the way I played but just being there and enjoying the beautiful setting and THP friendships.
The low point was having the absolutely dismal experience with Callaway with the APEX forged irons, it really put the rest of the year into a funk I am still fighting. Not a huge 1st world problem for sure, just annoying and a waste of time.

I want to caveat the above statement with the fact they tried to fix the issues but just could not and admitted it. In the end they did refund the money, so I am still all pro Callaway Customer service and will buy Callaway again at some point but it was a pain in the butt and at the completely wrong time.

My 2019:
  • June - I had one great round (for me), carded an 82, one off my personal best.
  • August - My first time playing with a bunch of great guys from THP, Lake Tahoe Open - Part Deux. I didn't play well, and it really didn't matter.
  • September, the Budget Golf Championship, my first official THP event. Some lifelong memories provided by an amazing bunch of guys, an incredible golf course, and the wonderful hospitality of THP, Budget Golf, and Callaway Golf.
  • July to present, how more often than not, I am playing some incredibly bad golf. No one thing, just a completely erratic and inconsistent game.

First golf road trip with my golf posse
First time playing 18 holes
First tournament
First golf win in a tournament- Women's longest drive

2019 will be remembered as the year that got me playing after trying to start 11 years ago ;)...literally bought a set of clubs the night before the first of three surgeries in a year. the driver got used that evening...then the clubs just sat for 11 yrs.

I'll remember playing a round with my nephew for the first time.

I'll also remember the equipment I played all year. The grandaddy bag is going to be something I cherish for a long time.

2019 will be remembered as the year that got me playing after trying to start 11 years ago ;)...literally bought a set of clubs the night before the first of three surgeries in a year. the driver got used that evening...then the clubs just sat for 11 yrs.
And now you’re back. Keep swinging!

Back