What will you remember about 2019 as it relates to golf?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
My apologies if this is duplicative of other threads. This has been an amazing golf year. Highlights include:
1. March - I was privileged to experience the Morgan Cup. I met some awesome people and had a lifetime experience.
2. I shot my all time best round of 69, finally achieving a bucket list wish of shooting under par for 18 holes.
3. October - I enjoyed another THP experience, “The Small Batch” event, sponsored in part by True Sport. While in San Diego, I again met some great THPers, learned awesome stuff about making a shaft and got to design my own shaft. Then, before leaving, I got to play Aviara, Torrey Pines South and San Diego Country Club, where I again met two awesome THPers.
4. Tomorrow, I leave for Miami, where I will get to play another round in a state where I have never played. To play on the east side of the country twice and on the west coast all in the same year is a lot of memory making for me.
5. Last, but not least, I think I finally figured out a swing flaw that has been plaguing me off and on for over a year, which led to those awful sideways shots. We will see day after tomorrow if I am cured.

I don’t know if I well ever top this year golf-wise. What are your highlights for the year?

The bond and friendship with 12 great guys that continues on a daily basis to this day.

There's been a few. Having started playing again properly after finishing studies it's been an up and down year, but highlights would be;
1. Finally getting fit for new irons and the journey to bed them in.
2. Taking the bull by the horns and actually getting lessons on a serious basis with an focused plan to improve.
3. Managing to resist the temptation to buy a new driver - this may not last however.
4. Playing 5 games in Turkey with my old man - my favourite golfing partner.

More to come in 2020!

First full year in our house right on my home course. I played hole 15 a million times at dusk. My favorite hole is 14 though, I always try to get in my 4 and 5 hole loops.

Playing with my main partner Will all year. We have kept a running tab on $1's and it's never gotten over $10 either way.

My golf trip in September was amazing we had a great time and the competition was awesome. The last day of that trip I found out I was going on another trip to Chateau Elan for Titleist testing. That trip was just as amazing.

It's been a great year for golf!!!

1. Morgan Cup. I still cant believe how fortunate I was to experience it and when telling friends about it they cant believe it either. Still probably the single best weekend of my life and I was on the losing side.

2. Shooting my PB twice this year. On two separate courses. 75 on par 72.

3. Winning the Military Appreciation tournament at Augusta Country Club. Another amazing course with some of the nicest most friendly members I've met. The food was top notch too.

4.. The Gethering was also an awesome time.

THP Event, that’s it.

In all other ways my game and this year has 1000% sucked. My year would be the golfing equivalent of lipping our every single 6” putt you have all season.

The THP event was freaking awesome though. That I can not deny. I just wish I’d have been more observant. I missed out on a couple really cool things at the event because I 1. Didn’t pay a damn lick of attention and 2. Was overly medicated for a condition. 2 and small b-I may have drank too much one night, which also happened to be the night I should have been paying attention.

Oh well, that’s why there are veterans and there are rookies. I was 100% rookie there. Damnit.

It was still a highlight of my golfing life. Probably THE highlight of it. But man it sucked to arrive at a midnight fitting and not be able to make square contact. It’s on me but I just wasn’t paying attention.

2019 was a bit of a Clint Eastwood sequel for me, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Starting with the Good, I was fortunate to get my 6th HIO playing my 2018 Morgan Cup Cobra FTB irons in late July.

The Bad, would have been when I got the HIO above I was experiencing a pinch nerve in my neck which impacted my right side. Luckily very little pain but when I swung a golf club my right hand would come off the golf club about 6 inches before ball impact. So my HIO was struck with only one hand on the club.... thank goodness treatment was quick and that condition only lasted about 10 days.

The ugly, in June 6 weeks after getting a cortisone shot in my shoulder for multiple tears, I was playing in a competitive event in a match against another chap when on a par 3 teeing off, my bicep tendon in my left arm snapped, ball went 90 degrees and my day was over. Anyway, I now look like Popeye with a bulging bicep.

Otherwise hoping to get injuries behind me and heal up over the winter and have a much drier 2020.

That I concluded a four year journey where I successfully coached a young man from HS freshman “golfer” to starting as a freshman in college on a very large scholarship.

Taking up the game in July 2019.

All fittings are not created equal.

Found out about THP thru the podcast with Shanewu.

3 personal bests stick out:

1. 66 (-6), which included a PB 9 hole score of 31 and a PB 8 birdies in one round.
2. 8 under par rounds in 2019, including back-to-back rounds once.
3. 2 eagles in one round.

One thing I will remember from 2019 is breaking 40 for 9 holes in my first round back after a 7 week layoff resulting from a back issue. I literally did not pick up or swing a club during the layoff.

Also, I will remember a stretch where I birdied the same hole for 3 consecutive rounds. A lip out prevented the streak from reaching 4.

2019 was the year where I learned that golf was a priority activity and passion for me. I didn’t play from Aug ‘18 through July ‘19, sold my travel bag and wondered if I should keep my clubs. I did lurk here and there on THP during that time. In Aug I knew I had to make a change. Golf had become a part of me, and I needed to play, to engage, to set goals. 2020 is going to be the year when I move from poorly informed golfer wannabe to modestly informed hack with unrealistic goals. It will be awesome!

I have had a lot of health issues in the last 3 years and I am only 53. Fortunately I am healthy after another issue this spring/summer. What I will remember is the joy of being able to play the game even through some treatment this summer. I got to play 4 rounds with my Dad who I hadn't played with in over 3 years and played 30+ rounds of golf which is more golf than I have played in about 10 years (due to chasing my kids around which I loved).

It was a great season of golf and while I am sad the season is over here I can't wait for the spring.

July 9th will be a day I remember for ever, got selected to Team THP for The Grandaddy.

1. Poor mechanics and a lack of distance may prevent me from single-digits golf, but the inability to repeat the swing I have keeps me from bogey golf.

2. The way a club head looks or from what era it was originally sold has little to do with how it matches up with a particular golfer. As a high capper who has always wondered what it would like to play harder-to-hit clubs ( in this case 2008 Snake Eyes)... they may have helped improve my swing, but it was some of the most painful golf I've ever endured. OTOH, the 1980's Hogan Radials I also played this year are far easier for me to hit. And those Hogan's are not as comfortable as the fitted Mizuno 850's I played the last half of 2019.

3. Despite the substantial frustration this game can bring about, the highs and overall enjoyment seem to far outweigh those lows. Wanted to quit, tried to quit, but had zero chance in hell of doing that in 2019. The best I could do was to play little less often, Lol.

Looking forward to 2020.

Took a golf trip to Arizona with my best friends from college 15 years after we graduated. Played some great courses and had a ton of fun.

My wife and I went to Bend Oregon in September. Played 2 beautiful courses there, just the 2 of us. Was really fun quality time that we don't get as much of anymore now that we have 2 little kids. Was special.

Unfortunately wasn't even able to try to sign up for a THP Event this year. That will change in 2020.

f4c4dcf19dbebe48c62fcb3deff76f3e.jpg

Kids. And I'm not going to be the guy to say that kids got in the way of the game, they just made it more interesting to find time to work on my game. But I'm beyond excited to share the game with them as they get older.

I think it was a year where I started to feel comfortable with what I can and can't do. I was never one to play it safe - always went for the big shot. This year I tried to play smart golf and surprise surprise it made the game a heckuva lot more enjoyable.

Gonna try to build off that next year. Also want to get in some more THP events next year. I miss those - and I think with the kids being a bit older next year will be the time to do it.

2019 is when I fell back in love with the game. Didn’t play for four years as my mom was really sick and if I had 4 hours I wanted to spend them with her. She died in Feb and one of the things she was adamant about was I start doing things I enjoy again.

went to Jamaica, pebble, streamsong is in December.

On a personal level: Becoming a more active member in local golf and on THP including taking place in The Sweep and making on hell of a friend in @J.B. Cobb III and see just how welcoming the guys at Budget are.

On a level related to Professional Golf:
Tiger winning The Masters and Rory regaining some confidence in his game. Hate to see guys struggle and both of them being at the peak of their prowess is excellent for the game of golf.

Getting my kids onto the course, putting a tee into the ground and watching them actually play the game.

That has been on of the biggest and best joys I have ever experienced with this silly game.

Thanks to the generosity of THP and Callaway, for the first time in my golfing career, I never once looked at my bag this year and wondered if anything should change or get updated. Now having a consistent swing wasn't always there each round, but when my game was going well, these clubs shined bright and I can't wait to see how next year goes as well!

Playing golf with thommo, wadesworld, DucatiGirl, and ntanygd760 in one long weekend.

Back