What would cause this to happen?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This happened on the 2nd hole today in mid swing? This is an Evenflow Black 65 5.5 flex shaft in a G425 MAX. I bought the shaft last fall to originally use in my G410. I have on occasion hit a fat driver while working on my swing at the range but I've never had a shaft break right at the handle before. I heard it crack and buckle on my downswing tonight. I still hit the center of the fairway though.

64056040836__0E11F78B-B9A5-4181-B6A4-AECA53779632.jpeg

Wow. That sucks. I don't recall ever seeing a shaft break under the grip, especially during a swing.

From what I’ve read and been told, breaks like that are usually caused by some type of prior impact or weakening event.

Some examples:
- Bag being hit
- Strap too tight on a cart
- Too much heat (maybe bag left in the car)

Did you buy the shaft new?

I watched my brother snap a shaft similar to that and it was unfortunately caused by a fat shot off the tee.

From what I’ve read and been told, breaks like that are usually caused by some type of prior impact or weakening event.

Some examples:
- Bag being hit
- Strap too tight on a cart
- Too much heat (maybe bag left in the car)

Did you buy the shaft new?

I watched my brother snap a shaft similar to that and it was unfortunately caused by a fat shot off the tee.
It was a new purchase off of eBay and I had a local shop trim and tip it for me. I’ve not done any of those things. Maybe just one of my fat hits weakened it or it just had a defect. I’m going to get the grip pulled to save it so maybe I’ll be able to see something that might help me understand why it gave out.

It was a new purchase off of eBay and I had a local shop trim and tip it for me. I’ve not done any of those things. Maybe just one of my fat hits weakened it or it just had a defect. I’m going to get the grip pulled to save it so maybe I’ll be able to see something that might help me understand why it gave out.
Yeah, that's true - could have been a defect too.

Be interesting to see what it looks like once the grip is pulled. When my brother broke his, it splintered and there was no obvious impact point.

Yeah, that's true - could have been a defect too.

Be interesting to see what it looks like once the grip is pulled. When my brother broke his, it splintered and there was no obvious impact point.
It feels like it’s still partially connected inside the grip so it’s like a weak point caved in and it just bent on my follow through. I know Ping heads are heavier but the 75g version of this was a stock shaft in the G410. I ended up buying this one because I wanted a lighter shaft with the same characteristics.

65g shaft should be fine there. Plenty of lightweight shafts around these days.

What’s your transition like?

It absolutely looks like the shaft got hit somehow. Either that or it was defective. If you bought it from a local dealer you could take it back and look into a warranty claim if there is no damage around the area. Being bought on eBay that might be more difficult.

Played in New Zealand @ jacks point few years ago 8 iron of ping set hired in pristine condition broke at midway on grip at impact , clean strike no ground . Spoke with pro who said was fault with several of their clubs and the rep was coming to sort out and replace clubs

Seen manufacturers defects do that exact thing, you might be able to get a warranty through who you bought it off of but since it was EBay you might be up a creek without a paddle. Not likely enough heat in your vehicle to break down the resin in shafts for that damage. Might not have much luck on saving the grip as that might be a lost cause unless somebody has lots of time on there hands. I’d just cut the grip off that way you can see the manufacturers sticker to verify the authenticity of the shaft the EBay part has me a little worried.

Seen manufacturers defects do that exact thing, you might be able to get a warranty through who you bought it off of but since it was EBay you might be up a creek without a paddle. Not likely enough heat in your vehicle to break down the resin in shafts for that damage. Might not have much luck on saving the grip as that might be a lost cause unless somebody has lots of time on there hands. I’d just cut the grip off that way you can see the manufacturers sticker to verify the authenticity of the shaft the EBay part has me a little worried.

^^^ agree with this 100%
unless you know that the club suffered some sort of damage from impact in that area, I would say it was a manufacturing defect. If you can verify authenticity, most manufacturers would warranty it. Even with it being EBay , if the seller was authorized.
Good Luck

This happened on the 2nd hole today in mid swing? This is an Evenflow Black 65 5.5 flex shaft in a G425 MAX. I bought the shaft last fall to originally use in my G410. I have on occasion hit a fat driver while working on my swing at the range but I've never had a shaft break right at the handle before. I heard it crack and buckle on my downswing tonight. I still hit the center of the fairway though.

View attachment 9004051

This is what happened to my 8 iron!! Well.. kinda..

It broke right in the middle of the grip, but it was after it made a fairly swift contact to the bottom of the bag holder on the cart 😅

This is definitely a first hearing it happen from just swinging though! I would guess it may have been weakened by the previous owner, and unfortunately ended up giving on your dime.

I had this happen to one of my wedges (y)

I took it and got the grip and tip salvaged tonight. The grip is still in perfect condition since it was new a few weeks ago. I don’t think I have any reason to believe it is fake. I bought it at a slightly discounted price using a coupon code eBay sent me So I’m not out a ton of money. These shafts are only $100 bucks on golfworks right now. It wasn’t a hand crafted version.

it does look like it happened to have a weak point on it but I still have no idea how it got there. I’m going to go back to the riptide cb shaft that was pulled from a Taylormade club so replacing it isn’t specifically necessary for me.

Back