What Would Make You Take More Course Pictures?

I recently sent out a survey (not to THPers) about taking pictures of courses. It was asked what would make you take more photos of courses, equipment, etc.

I wanted to ask THPers as well, because I am genuinely curious. Do you take a lot of pictures at the course? Any?
I'm more inclined at a new or unfamiliar course, but don't really in my regular rounds at home unless the setting is perfect.

if someone asked me to. otherwise, i'm not really a picture guy. i don't scroll back through my phone and get excited to see pictures of a golf course. i think the hideaway will be a lot different, though!

I do take a lot of course pictures, especially the first time playing it. It is nice to look back on them and remember the round or use them for reference for the next time playing.

What Would Make You Take More Course Pictures?

I'll be honest - Summer.

Not living in a river valley ?

The scenery around Louisville is flat and just not that exciting. I take pictures when there are exciting and scenic holes.

THP events. Beautiful scenery. Unique/prestigious courses.

I rarely take pics except for what most others have said. Unique wildlife, special round, course or playing with special people or a special event. Will also take photos of weird things like this...yes I did play it from where it lay, was ugly...batted it out of the tree with my driver.

IMG_0381.JPG

Personally, the only time I take Pictures of a Course is if it is one outside of a Track I normally Play.

For Example: THP Events or a Special Round at a "Once in a Lifetime" Course. I don't have any interest in taking pictures of the courses I play on a frequent basis.

If I am playing somewhere new that is scenic enough to warrant taking a picture then I will likely take some, or if it is our annual gathering, but if I am playing a regular course then I am not likely going to take pictures unless something happens such as wildlife making an appearance or an usual lie for someone

Being photographically inclined, I tend to shoot when the light is right. If it's mid afternoon, I don't find shooting landscapes to be interesting. I find shooting the game, and its players interesting, but I would need the time to focus on the subject matter - which I don't have whilst playing. Give me an opportunity to attend an event (or experience, hint, hint) as a non-playing photographer, and I would jump!

It takes something special for me to take photos while on course. Especially with only a cell phone, no matter the technology it has. It's not the same as my DSLR with real glass. I am really into landscapes and action photography, generally both involving mountain biking. I envision some golf shots that would fall into that category, but to truly get that moment, it would be really disruptive to a round of golf. I'll take a few snaps here and there. But it has to really catch my eye.

If I see wildlife that I wouldn't normally encounter, I'll take pics. When I visit new states or countries, I'll often take pics of a particularly pretty view. Other than that though, I'm usually preoccupied with the golf and don't take many pictures.

Give me an opportunity to attend an event (or experience, hint, hint) as a non-playing photographer, and I would jump!

Yeah this would be really cool. *If not selected to play* To be the media for The Morgan Cup, or another Experience, would be really awesome! I got to do this once for a Mountain Bike race with my photos being used for a magazine story on the race.

Being photographically inclined, I tend to shoot when the light is right. If it's mid afternoon, I don't find shooting landscapes to be interesting. I find shooting the game, and its players interesting, but I would need the time to focus on the subject matter - which I don't have whilst playing. Give me an opportunity to attend an event (or experience, hint, hint) as a non-playing photographer, and I would jump!

Everyone gets the same opportunity my man! Just gotta be an AC member and enter and committed to going and reviewing gear afterwards or sharing the love of the event through pics

I forget to take pictures of everything in life except golf stuff. I take a lot. I already have my phone out a lot for shot tracking on course, so what's another second to take a picture. And I play with a lot of people that are older than I am, so they're usually not going to do it. And as much as they make fun, they love having them to show off. Some would probably wish I take less (even here), but I've caught some really amazing moments on camera this year. I guess the only thing that would make me take more would be more rounds with friends kids. Parents are always busy teaching and managing behavior so it's nice if someone can capture the moments for them.

Last edited:
I take a ton of pics and videos.

I would say the main thing that stops me from taking pictures is riding in a cart. I just find I miss opportunities and the phone is tucked away in the cart or the bag. Always walking up to each tee and each green from the side isn't conducive to good photos.

For me outside of a unique destination or group playing, pictures are rare unless it's something that just stands out that is unusual or the way the lighting is making it a unique memory

I like taking pictures of my activities, and I tend to take pictures and share here in the Pictures of the COurse or New England members threads as events warrant. New courses, good light, fun people, all make it more likely that I take and share pictures.

New phone with better camera, now it just needs to not be winter.

PANO_20191115_161430.vr.jpg

I take some, but a lot of times I look at them later and decide they just aren't good enough to share. I think I would take more if I had a portable camera that could do a better job then the iPhone.

I'll take a dozen or so when playing a new course. My normal rota not so much unless something catches my eye. This is 18th at The Cape Club in Falmouth, Ma from a couple years ago.CAPE.jpg

Playing on a new course or just a great photo op. (Like the Payne Stewart statue at Pinehurst) Anytime I can get a great view.

Honest answer......If my range finder had a camera. Would be cool if it did.

I just don't pull out my cell phone that often during a round. I try to be more conscious of it during a THP event because I know the THPers need to have the pics to better follow along. I know I like to see as many pics at THP Events that I follow along at home.

Usually only take pictures of courses while traveling because they are premium courses with great views. If my local courses were better looking with unique layouts I most certainly would take more pictures.

I guess I would say I need a compelling need to take photos. It would have to be a memorable course or event.

Back