What would pros play if they weren't paid?

tgtt

Reaction score
Handicap
Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. However, what is your perception of what the pros would play if they weren't paid...

Driver: 1) TMAG, 2) Titleist, 3) Ping

FW: 1) Titleist, 2) Callaway, 3) Ping

Hybrids: 1) Adams, 2) Titleist, 3) TMAG

Irons: 1) Titleist, 2) Mizuno, 3) Ping

Weges: 1) Titleist, 2) Cleveland, 3) Ping

Putters: 1) Odyssey, 2) Titleist, 3) Ping

Balls: 1) Titleist, 2) Bridgestone, 3) Callaway

What they like, just like the rest of us.

I think you would see more TEE woods.

i think you are gonna see alot of guys out the PXG irons in the bag. Prob one of the best irons being produced right now. Some are putting them above miura irons.

Think there would still be a lot of loyal players based on what they played in college golf.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. However, what is your perception of what the pros would play if they weren't paid...

Driver: 1) TMAG, 2) Titleist, 3) Ping

FW: 1) Titleist, 2) Callaway, 3) Ping

Hybrids: 1) Adams, 2) Titleist, 3) TMAG

Irons: 1) Titleist, 2) Mizuno, 3) Ping

Weges: 1) Titleist, 2) Cleveland, 3) Ping

Putters: 1) Odyssey, 2) Titleist, 3) Ping

Balls: 1) Titleist, 2) Bridgestone, 3) Callaway

I agree...I think a lot of guys would go back to using what they used in college, or turning pro.

I think Titleist would still be a big name out there, but so would Mizuno.
Ove read reviews on the PXG's and since they can afford them, they would probably be out there with Miura's.

I see in your signature you are playing the 850 driver....how do you like it?

They would play whatever they want obviously. I think you'll see a good amount of guys play stuff they have had success in the past with.

When you have 1) have a consistent swing like the pros and 2) have someone spend a TON of time fitting you then just about ANY brand will work.
But you're right that getting paid drive the decision but the points above still prevail.

Maybe more JDM stuff such as Miura, Xxio, Honma etc...

There might be some who would play the same thing. There have been plenty who've blurred the lines to sneak another OEM's club into the bag if they sense it provides them an edge already so I'm guessing many play what they see as best for them now. The stars could certainly afford to play any and everything. I'm sure more niche brands would be in play.

I don't see how anyone can know or even guess this.
And I would say If pros were (throughout golf history) never ever paid to sponsor a brand from the start we may be seeing completely different brand names on tour. Old brands that don't even exist anymore, or brands we never heard of, or a combo of any of those and also some of the brands now dominating (just not in a dominating fashion). A whole different lineup of brands may have been the case.

My point is that we can think of this in terms of the most popular brands we are most familiar with but that's only by default. The truth is for all we know that list could all be a very different looking thing.

I don't see how anyone can know or even guess this.
If you search around you can find WITB photos from Q School and US Open amateurs. That would be a very good starting place to see what tomorrow's pros are playing today without sponsorship.

If you search around you can find WITB photos from Q School and US Open amateurs. That would be a very good starting place to see what tomorrow's pros are playing today without sponsorship.
Not necessarily. A lot of college players get stuff from OEMs. You would see a lot of amateurs with Titleist gear, doesn't mean it's their favorite.

Not necessarily. A lot of college players get stuff from OEMs. You would see a lot of amateurs with Titleist gear, doesn't mean it's their favorite.

Yes, both colleges and many high schools have deals with different OEMs. Ping and Titleist being the biggest two right now.

A kid from my hometown went to a D1 program and they had a deal with Cleveland so his bag was mostly Cleveland. This was several years ago but think it would be similar nowadays so I would concur with blugold on this.

Just take a look at a lot of the ladies bags... i don't see too many with 14 club deals, so they play a little all over the place. Even Lexi was still gaming that Turquoise Amp Cell driver (i believe) last year instead of something new and fancy.

Pxg I would have to say...

Back