What would you do if your range was garbage?

Would depend on how often I planned to hit the range. If it's once a week or less, I'd probably just deal with it. If it's more often I'd consider the bringing my own mat option. I use two Real Feel mats that kept the cost down and makes them easy to move.

I'd only consider another range if I barely went or they offered a low cost membership.

Prior to covid I was using a range 5 minutes from work. Even had a practice bunker.

They started the year, on mats, quite a bit forward of the turf area. As the grass grew in they would move the mats to the back , rope them off, and allow hitting off the turf. As the turf got ravaged, they would move the mats/rope forward, rinse repeat.

Sure , it changed yardages, but they had good turf.

That turf grew back pretty quick.

Off season mats are what they are. If you’re lucky enough to be south and on Bermuda it’s pretty quick if top-dressed and a good stand. Rye is pretty quick to seed as well.

Then you should understand.
I do understand, brother. I was the Assistant Super at one course who's annual maintenance budget was 1.5 million dollars and another whose budget was not even 1/5 of that. There are a lot of factors that go into what you can and can't do. The big budget place was easy. Just throw money at the problem. The other, not so much.

For comparison, the private club had a HUGE driving range tee and had teeing areas at both ends. The lower budget place had a range tee that was 1/8 the size, teeing from only one end and did triple the rounds. See where I'm getting at? Sometimes the rate of growth doesn't keep up with the traffic. When you couple that with the fact that the range is the busiest, most used area of the entire facility, it can be difficult to keep up in certain situations. I feel really lucky to have earned my chops at both types of places, to be honest. Certainly gives you a sense of appreciation for both ends of the spectrum.

I was being snarky to you and that was the wrong way to approach it. For that, I apologize. But it just triggered me when someone assumes that someone else is being lazy when they have no context. You know as well as I do how hard that job is and 90% of the guys out there take a lot of pride in their work. Are there some lazy turds out there collecting a check? Absolutely. But they usually find a way to weed themselves out. And they're certainly the minority. Have a good day, man. 👊

I do understand, brother. I was the Assistant Super at one course who's annual maintenance budget was 1.5 million dollars and another whose budget was not even 1/5 of that. There are a lot of factors that go into what you can and can't do. The big budget place was easy. Just throw money at the problem. The other, not so much.

For comparison, the private club had a HUGE driving range tee and had teeing areas at both ends. The lower budget place had a range tee that was 1/8 the size, teeing from only one end and did triple the rounds. See where I'm getting at? Sometimes the rate of growth doesn't keep up with the traffic. When you couple that with the fact that the range is the busiest, most used area of the entire facility, it can be difficult to keep up in certain situations. I feel really lucky to have earned my chops at both types of places, to be honest. Certainly gives you a sense of appreciation for both ends of the spectrum.

I was being snarky to you and that was the wrong way to approach it. For that, I apologize. But it just triggered me when someone assumes that someone else is being lazy when they have no context. You know as well as I do how hard that job is and 90% of the guys out there take a lot of pride in their work. Are there some lazy turds out there collecting a check? Absolutely. But they usually find a way to weed themselves out. And they're certainly the minority. Have a good day, man. 👊

Yes sir.
At one point I had a PGA Tour budget and extra tournament funds to spend at will. We redid a main tee with Bermuda and had it playable in three weeks. I took the first divot as you know; “we give virgin turf to no one”. Same as you, migrated to a smaller budget on an island course that looked like a dog track. Prior guy was a total douche. My opinion was always to let the practice facility shine. Even so far as steel cups for the practice green. There’s nothing like that sound. It’s where I liked to mingle with members and guests and give our teaching pro’s something they appreciated for giving lessons. I certainly get the smaller facility issue, but a little seed, topdressing and a lawn-leveler goes a looong way, IMO. A busy range that can’t keep up says to me it’s time to invest more effort in it, if possible of course. Space is always a premium. I’ve never met a golfer in my life that didn’t love a pristine piece of grass to practice on.

Don’t mistake my passion as being an ass. I just remember the good days and wanting anyone that stepped foot on my “baby” to leave happy with what they found. Golf is so different from the inside out. You know the story: Weatherman, Chemist, Mechanic, Engineer, Accountant, Psychologist, Human Resources, Politician, Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter….all from a cold barn for little pay and free golf.
All good.
👊

Range here is sh***y mats on concrete all year. I just don't practice, which obviously isn't ideal. 🤣

Yes sir.
At one point I had a PGA Tour budget and extra tournament funds to spend at will. We redid a main tee with Bermuda and had it playable in three weeks. I took the first divot as you know; “we give virgin turf to no one”. Same as you, migrated to a smaller budget on an island course that looked like a dog track. Prior guy was a total douche. My opinion was always to let the practice facility shine. Even so far as steel cups for the practice green. There’s nothing like that sound. It’s where I liked to mingle with members and guests and give our teaching pro’s something they appreciated for giving lessons. I certainly get the smaller facility issue, but a little seed, topdressing and a lawn-leveler goes a looong way, IMO. A busy range that can’t keep up says to me it’s time to invest more effort in it, if possible of course. Space is always a premium. I’ve never met a golfer in my life that didn’t love a pristine piece of grass to practice on.

Don’t mistake my passion as being an ass. I just remember the good days and wanting anyone that stepped foot on my “baby” to leave happy with what they found. Golf is so different from the inside out. You know the story: Weatherman, Chemist, Mechanic, Engineer, Accountant, Psychologist, Human Resources, Politician, Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter….all from a cold barn for little pay and free golf.
All good.
👊
Ah, the life.......:love:

So the membership at my home course (public) includes range balls.

I really need to get out there and work on some things, but the teeing ground is essentially dirt for most of the year and they don't take care of it. Fine if you're hitting off a tee, but kind of useless for hitting off the deck.

What would you do? Go find a range and pay to practice there? I don't even know where a good range is around here. Kinda frustrating
Not move to Minnesota.

So leaving the argument aside, perhaps @robrandalgz and @Bosco... can enlighten me.

I've always been curious as to how busy grass ranges manage to regrow the grass quickly enough. I get obviously that they move the hitting area around, but if you're open 6 days a week, unless you have a HUGE range, you're going to be back in the same spot pretty quickly. I would think it would take what - at least a week to get the grass regrown, assuming optimal conditions?

What are the tricks they use to get the grass regrown so quickly?

So leaving the argument aside, perhaps @robrandalgz and @Bosco... can enlighten me.

I've always been curious as to how busy grass ranges manage to regrow the grass quickly enough. I get obviously that they move the hitting area around, but if you're open 6 days a week, unless you have a HUGE range, you're going to be back in the same spot pretty quickly. I would think it would take what - at least a week to get the grass regrown, assuming optimal conditions?

I won’t speak for @robrandalgz experience as I’d like to hear it as well. And there’s no “argument” just two old passionate prior dirt farmers.

Anyway, my trick on a cool season grass range was to hand seed the divot “crater” where someone hit a bucket (Tour Pros can literally hit a bucket in a square foot). My guy “Gene-O” called it “feeding the chickens”. So a pretty heavy dose of annual ryegrass. Then shovel a mix of topdressing which is 80% sand and 20% peat (usually dyed green) on top of it. Then what’s called a “lawn level” which basically looks like a window frame on a stick. Back and forth over the spot levels it with the surrounding area. Water as usual. As the ropes are working their way from the front of the tee to the back the damaged areas are growing in. Annual rye germinates FAST. It fills because there’s so much in the crater. The peat retains moisture and even in a crater sometimes the crown remains and pushes back through. Fresh grass.

When you move the bag stands and ropes back to the front, stager the stands so they are sitting just behind the “new” grass. Wherever you set the stands, the golfer “creatures of habit” will generally hit from a step forward and a step south for righties.

By the time you get the ropes to the back again, the newly seeded grass has had maybe two weeks to get dense. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There’s always entitled rope movers, jumpers, and stand realigners. It happens. And they’re usually the ones that end up with a rope around the hosel or driver head into the bag stand at some point and the course gets its own revenge.

Bermuda grass is gravy. Just level the crater. It does all the work itself. But you HAVE to fill and level.

Left handed golfers always get the pretty grass.

I won’t speak for @robrandalgz experience as I’d like to hear it as well. And there’s no “argument” just two old passionate prior dirt farmers.

Anyway, my trick on a cool season grass range was to hand seed the divot “crater” where someone hit a bucket (Tour Pros can literally hit a bucket in a square foot). My guy “Gene-O” called it “feeding the chickens”. So a pretty heavy dose of annual ryegrass. Then shovel a mix of topdressing which is 80% sand and 20% peat (usually dyed green) on top of it. Then what’s called a “lawn level” which basically looks like a window frame on a stick. Back and forth over the spot levels it with the surrounding area. Water as usual. As the ropes are working their way from the front of the tee to the back the damaged areas are growing in. Annual rye germinates FAST. It fills because there’s so much in the crater. The peat retains moisture and even in a crater sometimes the crown remains and pushes back through. Fresh grass.

When you move the bag stands and ropes back to the front, stager the stands so they are sitting just behind the “new” grass. Wherever you set the stands, the golfer “creatures of habit” will generally hit from a step forward and a step south for righties.

By the time you get the ropes to the back again, the newly seeded grass has had maybe two weeks to get dense. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There’s always entitled rope movers, jumpers, and stand realigners. It happens. And they’re usually the ones that end up with a rope around the hosel or driver head into the bag stand at some point and the course gets its own revenge.

Bermuda grass is gravy. Just level the crater. It does all the work itself. But you HAVE to fill and level.

Left handed golfers always get the pretty grass.
That pretty much covers it. On a super small range, "staggering" the hitting areas before moving the ropes up or back (depending on how you rotate) helps. The worst ones to keep maintained are the "free range" areas where it's just two ropes that define the hitting area. People just pound the sh!t out of every square inch. If you define specific hitting areas within the ropes with just simple 2X4s painted white it helps maintain some level of order and you can control the level of damage much easier. I've found this to be true regardless of the "class" of golf course. People are like sheep. You have to herd them. As @Bosco said, Bermuda is SO much easier than cool season grass to deal with when repairing damage. It does the work itself and is a lot less labor intensive. For some of these small courses or courses with small budgets, it's not even the cost of sand, seed, or peat. Labor costs are what kill you. And in an industry with such high turnover, it's hard to well train staff (let alone keep them).

The crew at my local course has been as little as 4 guys to as many as 8. I can work with and get everything done with 8 guys. 4? Pretty tough task sometimes. mowing alone chews up a huge chunk of that . That leaves very little for course set up, bunker maintenance, range duty. The crew that I ran at the private 36 hole facility? 50 people. We had no problem maintaining every square inch of that place. To the point that we had guys trimming tee box yardage plaques with what amounted to a pair of scissors. It was obscene, really.

And I can attest, as a lefty, that I almost always have a nice clean place to hit....;)

You learn a lot of tricks and places to save labor for damn sure. Contour mowing fairways and approaches, RoundUp on damn near anything that requires backtracking with a weed eater, get rid of landscaping around tee complexes, cheat the tee markers in the rough so the mower doesn’t have to reset them, spin the bunkers up one day, skip the lips. Lotsa little tricks.

Employees that play are either the best to work with or the absolute worst.

You learn a lot of tricks and places to save labor for damn sure. Contour mowing fairways and approaches, RoundUp on damn near anything that requires backtracking with a weed eater, get rid of landscaping around tee complexes, cheat the tee markers in the rough so the mower doesn’t have to reset them, spin the bunkers up one day, skip the lips. Lotsa little tricks.

Employees that play are either the best to work with or the absolute worst.

So much this...........

So, it's been a while since I've been to the range at my course.
Today asI was pulling up to the 9th green,I looked over and it looks like they have started work on the grass. Maybe change is coming!

So, it's been a while since I've been to the range at my course.
Today asI was pulling up to the 9th green,I looked over and it looks like they have started work on the grass. Maybe change is coming!

Just takes effort. Maybe they’ve finally been about to get what they need!

Does your membership include unlimited rounds per month? If so play 9 holes a lot for practice. That's what I'd do.

Does your membership include unlimited rounds per month? If so play 9 holes a lot for practice. That's what I'd do.
Yeah, it does. And that's pretty much what I've been doing. Just tough when you're trying to make a swing change or work out a kink.

If you don't have a place you can make a big swing at home, here's a suggestion. Go down to your golf shop, buy a kid's iron - they're about 26" long - and have them build up the grip for you and put a regular grip on it. The reason for using one of these clubs is that you can see the position of the clubhead. You can actually practice your swing change with these. Do slow swings with it, checking the positions to make sure you're following what your pro told you, for 5 minutes a day. Do these in front of a mirror if possible.

I made an entire swing change this way over a winter without any range sessions. It can be done.

Also last summer the tee boxes at my home course became hard pan due to a water pump issue. I couldn't get a tee in the ground. So I'd just drop a ball on the ground and tee off with a hybrid. If you have a hybrid like a 4H or 5H you could use that at the driving range. No, it's not a 7i like you always use in your lesson, but it's still a club. You can still practice your swing with a hybrid.

Back