What would you do in this situation

CorvetteGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
weekend golf , nice day but just cold enough where you want to keep moving and not waiting for a slow groups in front of you. After 6 holes the Marshall - player assistant whatever you call em where you are - talked to the group in front of us about their slow play and asked them to pick it up. They did not care and continued to play slow. They were playing at the 6700 yard markers and two of the guys hit usually about 150 -200 yards, so clearly not playing from correct tee box. At hole 11 there are now 4 groups on the hole waiting. Them on the green, we are in the middle of the fairway watching them, and then two groups waiting to tee off. Marshall asks them again, and we go up and ask them and were not met with very friendly reply. We could hear them later talking in their native language - wont say which one - and sounded like they did not care. SO when we get to hole 16 , and they took forever on a par 3, one guy left a wedge behind. so question is what would you do.:unsure::unsure::unsure:
1. Drive up and give him the wedge
2. put it in your cart and leave it with the pro shop
3. Keep it for a week and then turn it in to the pro shop
4. Bend it a little and give it to them on the 18th green
5. throw it in the bushes
6. Leave it lay off the green and let them figure it out and come back for it
7. give it to the Marshal
8. other

Put it in your cart and turn it in to the pro shop would be my answer.

The most correct answer is #1.

#2&#7 are fine as well.

#3,4,5,6,8 are what richards would do. The world needs fewer richards.
Yup. That late in the round it wouldn't do you much good to have the Marshall 'deliberately slow things down' while vetting if that was indeed one of their wedges as a group or two played through. Earlier on I'd suggest it, and if I was the Marshall who'd warned them unsuccessfully, probably just do it. "found a wedge" "who lost one?" "what loft?" "can you confirm the make/model"? any nicks? yada yada

I'm assuming holes were open in front of them. Perhaps you might have coupled returning the club with a request to play through.

I'm assuming holes were open in front of them. Perhaps you might have coupled returning the club with a request to play through.

Yes, 2 holes empty in front of them.

The story is irrelevant to leaving the wedge, in my opinion. If I knew it was theirs I’d flag them down (#1). If I wasn’t sure, 2 or 7.

Treat people on the course as you would here, don't be a Richard!

If they realized they’d left it, they can drive back for it. I’m not driving it up to them. I’d leave it in the pro shop after I finished.

I wouldn't have deliberately bend it or hide it, regardless how big of a jackwad they were. More than likely i would have brought it to them. But if they got warned twice and rebuffing my request to play through, I would be strongly considered leaving it to leave it which may give us an opportunity to play through

Last edited:
The story is irrelevant to leaving the wedge, in my opinion. If I knew it was theirs I’d flag them down (#1). If I wasn’t sure, 2 or 7.
This is where I’m at as well.

weekend golf , nice day but just cold enough where you want to keep moving and not waiting for a slow groups in front of you. After 6 holes the Marshall - player assistant whatever you call em where you are - talked to the group in front of us about their slow play and asked them to pick it up. They did not care and continued to play slow. They were playing at the 6700 yard markers and two of the guys hit usually about 150 -200 yards, so clearly not playing from correct tee box. At hole 11 there are now 4 groups on the hole waiting. Them on the green, we are in the middle of the fairway watching them, and then two groups waiting to tee off. Marshall asks them again, and we go up and ask them and were not met with very friendly reply. We could hear them later talking in their native language - wont say which one - and sounded like they did not care. SO when we get to hole 16 , and they took forever on a par 3, one guy left a wedge behind. so question is what would you do.:unsure::unsure::unsure:
1. Drive up and give him the wedge
2. put it in your cart and leave it with the pro shop
3. Keep it for a week and then turn it in to the pro shop
4. Bend it a little and give it to them on the 18th green
5. throw it in the bushes
6. Leave it lay off the green and let them figure it out and come back for it
7. give it to the Marshal
8. other
Either 2, or 7 would be first favorite answers. Maybe 1, and ask if they could improve their pop. 2 as a last resort.

The group that lost the club, although causing issues, is no reason for me to stoop to their level.

2.. I wouldn't be in a rush to return it to them .

If they were that slow though, why not just ask to play through

imagine being such a diluted person that the story somehow justifies choices #3-#6.

Since they were already Richards, probably #2 or 7. I'm not going out of my way to rush them the club. See them at the next tee, #1.

I like this and shall adopt it.

Really one shouldn’t have anything to do with the other. You can either be a decent human or not.

I will say that they would get their wedge back in any scenerio. I’d like to say there would be no smart ass comments about hurrying up a little. 🤷‍♂️

#2 or #7 if I see the Marshall again - one time to ask to speed up is enough.

I like this and shall adopt it.

Really one shouldn’t have anything to do with the other. You can either be a decent human or not.

I will say that they would get their wedge back in any scenerio. I’d like to say there would be no smart ass comments about hurrying up a little. 🤷‍♂️
My buddy and I were playing yesterday behind an ignorant bro foursome. We were lamenting that one of our regulars wasn’t there because just us two scrawny guys was not a good formula for confronting the group 😆 but we’d have still given their wedge back or turned it in!

imagine being such a diluted person that the story somehow justifies choices #3-#6.
Dude..... how bad are you wanting to get into an event..... WOW

8... I would have left it and lied to them saying that I never saw it. That way I could waste their time like they did everyone else on the course. Haha play ready golf.

My buddy and I were playing yesterday behind an ignorant bro foursome. We were lamenting that one of our regulars wasn’t there because just us two scrawny guys was not a good formula for confronting the group 😆 but we’d have still given their wedge back or turned it in!

I often ask others to be my compass. “Should I go back and kill this guy because he’s hit into us twice now the past two holes?”

They’d have got their wedge back, 🤣

I just might not have been the best choice to go give it to them.

I’d do either 2. or 7. unless they specifically came back looking, then I would give it to them. Has happened so many times I cannot count.

#5 or #6. They get what they give.

I’m not enough of a Richard to deliberately damage somebody else’s stuff, but I’m not enough of a nice guy to overlook them being such a-holes either.

Back