What would you do?

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
Our club had our annual member-guest tournament this weekend. While playing the practice round on Friday we were paired with a twosome who was in another flight. The tournament was broken up by flights based on handicaps, so their score had no affect on my flight. One of the guys had an illegal putter. I know this as I just had a fitting done on my long putter and had inquired about just having the shaft bent straight up. I was informed by the PGA pro that it had to be at least 10* from straight up and at least 80* from the ground. I questioned the guy about is putter as I could tell it was fabricated at home, extra weight added to the back of the putter and the shaft virtually straight up. I didn't come straight out and say that the putter was illegal, as I have yet to look up the rule regarding this, but I would assume the PGA pro knew what he was talking about. Would have mentioned this to anyone since it didn't involve you and it was a member-guest tournament? If it were in my SNGA tournament I would have definitely mentioned it, but didn't feel it was worth the confrontation in this tournament. Plus he was in the scratch division and figured they could bring it up themselves if they were concerned about it. They didn't come in 1st, but they did come in 2nd for a small prize.

That's a tough one, but I think you did the right thing. You couldn't be 100% sure it was illegal and it didn't affect you directly. If it was illegal - I'm sure he knew it and I find that sad.

Still goes back to my theory of why all club tournies have gone to carp. I would not have said anything even if he was in my flight. These are supposed to be for fun, but so many people take them far too seriously. Way too much cheating, sandbagging, etc.

That is just me, and if someone would have said anything I would not care about that either. I just wish people would be more honest and just have fun.

Since you weren't sure, you did the right thing in not making the accusation.

I was informed by the PGA pro that it had to be at least 10* from straight up and at least 80* from the ground.
That seems to pretty much fix the lie-angle! :D

I wouldn't have said anything. Besides being unsure, it's supposed to be a "for fun" tournament so I wouldn't have seen a reason to get upset over a putter that wasn't exact spec for tour use.

You probably did the right thing for now, but this is one of the reasons I don't play in anymore snga, or other local league tournaments. Just too many "creative" rules interpretation by some of their members. All my local tournament play now involves charities, and as long as the charity makes out, I could care less what other folks do while golfing. :clapp:

The pro was correct.... if it was more than 10° upright, it was nonconforming. If the player was simply unaware, then he should be apprised of his error. If he is going to make his own clubs, he needs to know the rules concerning them.

And I don't see why you all would keep quiet about it. In a stroke play tournament, every competitor has the responsibility of protecting the field. If you see a situation that involves cheating, you should report it. Sorry if that sounds low to some of you but a cheat is affecting the entire field, not just you.

Besides... a golf cheat should be called on it just on general principles. :at-wits-end:

I think I would have went up to him and grabbed the club and snapped it into. Then called him a cheater! :D J/k but I would have reported him because if it's illegal it's illegal for a reason. Cheaters never win, they only cheat.

You don't have to turn him in for cheating. You can just alert the pro shop that you had a question about his club. Let them investigate it. It's the Head of Golf's job to run these tournies.

How well did he putt? May be he's on to something...:D

Back