What would you pay for distance or accuracy?

Thrillbilly Jim

Raised On Hose Water And Neglect
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
I'm just curious what is everyone's opinion on cost of equipment versus performance. I'm going to limit the discussion to drivers. There have been numerous drivers released this year north of $500. And, a handful at $300 (W/S D7, TEE EXS, and Hogan GS53). Not saying the $500 drivers are superior and the $300 drivers are lacking, but for discussion, let's say with a $500 driver you average 5-10 yards more every drive. Is averaging 7.5 more yards every drive worth the extra $200? Then, let's say with the $500 driver, you hit 1-2 more fairways. Is averaging 1.5 more fairways a round worth the extra money. Where do you draw the line between price and performance?

I play 200 rounds a year.

if you told me a driver would net me a club closer and 1-2 fairway more fairway lies a round, it would be worth it to me.

If you were to guarantee me 2 more fairways I’d pay the extra 200 easily. 7.5 yards would be nice but don’t think I’d pay that much for it.

Not sure $200 is worth 7.5 yds

The real question is $450 worth 2 yards longer and 2.5 yards straighter?

While I don’t need the extra distance, if I can for sure be two fairways more accurate a round...sign me up.

Definitely accuracy, and most rounds I'd pay per hole lol.

so you're guaranteeing that I won't be in the woods on 1.5 fewer holes and be 7.5 yds longer? You're on.

To me its not and I wont spend $500 on a new driver. If my choice were a $500 Callaway/Titleist driver or a $300 Wilson/Ping driver and the Callaway/Titleist is 5-7 yards longer, its not worth the extra $200 to me.
If I really wanted that $500 driver, I'll simply wait a year or 2 and pick it up used on Ebay for $200.

I doubt I'd spend $500 to average one more fairway per round, but I would absolutely pay $2500 for five more per round. Also, there's no way in hell a top of the line driver would have this big of an effect on accuracy.

Haha. I asked a buddy yesterday if he would make this trade.
He would become bald (lose all his hair) for being able to hit 300 yard drives.
He's like 'hell Ya I'd take that trade!' Lol.

Now that I think about it, I may make it as well, haha

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I doubt I'd spend $500 to average one more fairway per round, but I would absolutely pay $2500 for five more per round. Also, there's no way in hell a top of the line driver would have this big of an effect on accuracy.

High end shafts can for some players. But even those it is like 1-3 yards more accurate.

Can't go wrong with ST190. Look at 2019 shafts with high grade prepreg...eg T1100. These expensive woven materials are the ticket for dispersion.

Not to me. I think I can safely say that I will never spend $500 on a driver, regardless of performance. $300 might be stretching it for me unless the performance is significant.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'll wait a year pick up that extra distance and/or forgiveness for 60% of the original cost. As a lefty, it's a buyers market. That might not be an option for you righties, but I picked up my EPIC not long after the Rogue models were released for about $260.00 with the plastic still on the head from CPO.

On the flip side, as a lefty, don't ever plan on getting much back out of your investment if you're a club flipper. Losing proposition.

I would give up Chick Fil A for accuracy of every fairway.

I would give up Chick Fil A for accuracy of every fairway.

I don’t do fast food often enough for it to qualify as a worthy sacrifice but I would give up bacon for that kind of accuracy.

I don’t do fast food often enough for it to qualify as a worthy sacrifice but I would give up bacon for that kind of accuracy.

Lol I don’t have it as nearly as often as others in my house and I don’t have any real vices so it’s all I could think of. No way I’m giving up caffeine, I will give that up when I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question itself is misleading because in general straighter means probably at very least that much longer anyway and honestly probably a lot more. Missing left/right whether its via hooks/slices or not as badly hit but still significantly over fading/drawing or simply pulling/pushing directly left/right most often all results in having much more yardage left over to the green anyway. And that amount is often far much more than just 5 to 7 yrds not to mention possibly having to use a stroke as well just to recover from wherever you might ended up including hazards.

Now if one was talking straighter vs being 30,40 yrds longer? now we are talking something because there is enough difference with that distance to overcome much more of the left/right mishits and will also be that much further when you do hit where intended. But of course there is always the chances of being all that much further left/right as well. So there is a whole lot going on here with this question. It all is relevant to each player and just how/what/where which choice helps him the most. How many fw's does he already hit now and also just how far off is he when he misses.

Hmmmm. That’s a lotta booze I’d have to give up.

(Liver gives Ham the side-eye.)

Maybe.

See for me that accuracy would amount to bringing 15 yds back into the fairway on 1 hole and 7.5 yds on another which puts me in the rough instead of in the woods.

If only it were that simple to spend $500 and get 5-10 more yards and hit another 1.5 fairways per round. I’ve owned over 20 drivers in the last 15 years and none are straighter and only a few are 5-10 yards longer than my Ping G2 from 2003.

I love new putters and drivers but determined long ago that a better game can’t be bought. I used to think that only if I could practice or play 5 days a week I could knock a couple strokes off my index. This year I’m doing that and my index is up a couple strokes from 15 months ago. Golf is hard.

So $200 more for "some" improvement with 1 club.

Wouldn't spending $200 (or $500 if keeping your current driver) for some lessons be a better ROI because it would translate to all the clubs in your bag?

Back